Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem...come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 AM
cry-baby buyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting problem...come on in!

I've done the searching and still can't find anything.

I changed the dipstick tube and had to take the starter loose to get the new dipstick in. Hooked everything back up and turned the starter over....click click. Okay, battery's dead.

Hook up the charger for 15 minutes, same thing. Now this time I notice the lights are all bright inside the car and when its clicking the lights on the gauge cluster are flashing with the clicking sound. Check the battery voltage, 12.4. Hmmmm.

Take the starter back loose, look around alittle...its possible that the tube was touching the starter, couldn't really tell. So I bend the tube alittle Put it all back together same thing but this time sounds like the gear's turning for a split second then the clicking noises. Bang on it a few times, same thing. This time I forget unhook the battery and get a few sparks.

Buy a new AC Delco starter...same thing. Tried it again a few minutes ago and no more click click, just the sound of the bendex spinning and not contacting anything.

I have checked the starter fuse its fine!

Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

Alan
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how do your battery cables look?

you said you have a charger, do you have a 'jump box' that you can have on the car while you try to start it? - if it will start up with that on and then dies when you take it off thats your alternator
Old 01-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the block-to-battery ground path, clean & tighten?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:54 AM
cry-baby buyer

The battery cables are great, at least where they hook to the battery. I have a NAPA charger........big box type w/ the jump start.

I'll try both of the suggestions but I think thats too easy!

Alan
Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLO BY U - TA
I'll try both of the suggestions but I think thats too easy!

Alan
Youd be supprised, but from what youve told us it seems like its a battery/batter cable related problem.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 AM
cry-baby buyer

It sounds like the starter is turning just not contacting anything. BTW - the flywheel's perfect...2000 miles.

Alan
Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem with my car when I changed out the starter...it barely contacted the flywheel but not enough to turn the motor over. Just made a grinding sound...I had to shim the starter to get it to work.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a ground or battery cables to me. I thought I had a huge problem with my vette once...was going through all kinds of electrical crap trying to figure it out, changed the battery 3 times. Turned out my battery cables had just a slight film of corrosion on them. I cleaned them off and haven't had a problem since.