Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks OR Pacesetters

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks OR Pacesetters

now obviously KOOKS are the best bang for buck really but am i going to see a monsterous difference between the two if i just go with the pacesetters?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
now obviously KOOKS are the best bang for buck really but am i going to see a monsterous difference between the two if i just go with the pacesetters?
i'm confused...i think you have it backwards.

pacesetters are the bang for the buck headers. they're the inexpensive, coated ones.

kooks are the high quality stainless steel ones.

the answer is simple. just answer this question: do you have the money for stainless steel headers?

if you don't have the money, pacesetters will do. they will show good gains, but eventually the coating will rust and flake.

kooks will last practically forever as they're stainless and very high quality. however, it's important to note that if bang-for-the buck is what you're after, QTP's will do the job better as they're as much of a quality header as kooks, but less expensive. take this as a rule of thumb:

- on a budget? go pacesetters
- want stainless and want a y-pipe setup? go kooks as their y-pipe is better.
- want stainless and want to go true duals? go QTP as they're less money, polished and have the best merge.

it's as simple as that.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

i was looking at the QTP but whats this about american racing headers or somrthing like that? any good
Old 04-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I have installed Kooks before, and currently own a set on my car, and the fit and finish was excellent. Install was very easy.

I've also installed a set of Pacesetters on another friend's car, and they also went in easy and fit well.

If you want stainless, get the Kooks. That's why I got them. I've had good experiences with both (limited as it may be).
Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

well see ive got the money but i dont want to spend that much on kooks but i need stainless because i live in FL, whats a mid range in between those to? around 7-800 shipped roughly
Old 04-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Just get the Kooks and be done with it...I'm not sure there really is any in-between. Stainless is very nice to have in a salty environment...I used to live in Florida, and am now driving the salt-covered winter roads of the great white north. The headers are brown, but not rusted.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

ok, where can i get the best priced KOOKS with a ORY
Old 04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

go with pacesetter, save the extra money
Old 04-18-2007, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

+1 on pacesetter.

I mean, I understand your desire to find a solid fit and comparitively yes, I think Kooks is the better side by side comparision. But the only TRUE difference is the stainless or not. Is that what your seeing?

Of course, your going to hear people say that one is better when you compare them, but I would advise you to take a step back and look at this objectively. I'm not saying this with 100% confidence, but I'm honestly reading alot on this and this is my take: the coating will do you just fine!

Have you seriously heard of ANYONE say that they bought pacesetters and they rusted and flaked away? Even to a point to notice any difference if you can find someone; even to that? My guess is, you may find people that say they "heard" about it, but not first hand. If your an enthusiast (your on this site!) you MAY notice a little rust over time, but that will be over a good period of time, and thats a MAYBE. 5 yrs, 7 yrs, 10 yrs? If you're half the enthusiast as the average person on here, you would relish the thought of, in 5 yrs, getting another mod done anyway, or just doing it for the experience to polish it if you're REALLY that worried about it. I don't know for sure 100%, but considering the price, I'm COMPLETELY comfortable going pacesetters and having the same performance gains, perhaps better with the coating...all for the "hearsay" of the naysayers, which is given their BEST scenario they can give you all the way around.

To the proponents that are saying "f*ck this guy", they will tell you Kooks. Its your take, but I seriously think unless you are really willing to make this a show car, or you've got the money, stainless on this IS NOT NECCESSARY or even better. But if you are that person who wants the piece of mind, I am by no means saying Kooks are bad. I'm just saying is it truly worth the extra piece of mind for a shine you won't see and a performance gain you won't notice. (If a tree falls in a forest..........)

Do what you want, this is just my .02. Of course, there are other opinions, some may correct me later, but their just more opinions (admittingly, some more educated than mine! -but both seem like really good choices) FWIW, these are my favorites too, along with perhaps QTP. Congrats either way, I'm sure you can be happy with both.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Top 3 contenders Dynatech, Kooks, QTP.... all now stainless, all awesome, not cheap but last practically forever.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
well see ive got the money but i dont want to spend that much on kooks but i need stainless because i live in FL, whats a mid range in between those to? around 7-800 shipped roughly
QTP was having a sale. maybe they'll still cut you a deal if you ask. i got mine $770 SHIPPED to my door in 3 days. the quality and fitment is just as good as kooks and they are polished and look a lot nicer. can't beat that deal. check out the sponsor sales section. last time i checked, QTP extended the sale. if it's over, PM Quicktime.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for Kooks here...like Meent said, the fit, finish and performance are top notch...I couldn't be happier...

Byunspeed gave me a great deal on them as well...
Old 04-18-2007, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Just my experience with pacesetter, now granted I live in Utah where we get snow and salt on the ground, but I bought the coated pacesetters. Within 6 monthes I have had almost all the coating on the bottom flaked off and I even got two pinsized holes hence why I just went out and spent the money for stainless. While kooks, dynatech, and QTP are all great headers I chose american racing cause of the quickness of service, price, and I really liked their Y-pipe. On top of that being I got a blown 408 figured I should step up too 1 7/8s versus the pacesetters 1 3/4s. So also ask yourself that ? do you plan on a bigger motor, blower etc etc if so more air going in means more air wanting to get out and I really noticed a difference changing to the new set up. Pacesetter does not make a 1 7/8s header but they did go in nicely and the fit was great. I also hear that kooks fit very nice as well havent heard too much bout the QTPs fitment but the ARs fitment was even better than the pacesetters.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MavZ28
+1 on pacesetter.

I mean, I understand your desire to find a solid fit and comparitively yes, I think Kooks is the better side by side comparision. But the only TRUE difference is the stainless or not. Is that what your seeing?

Of course, your going to hear people say that one is better when you compare them, but I would advise you to take a step back and look at this objectively. I'm not saying this with 100% confidence, but I'm honestly reading alot on this and this is my take: the coating will do you just fine!

Have you seriously heard of ANYONE say that they bought pacesetters and they rusted and flaked away? Even to a point to notice any difference if you can find someone; even to that? My guess is, you may find people that say they "heard" about it, but not first hand. If your an enthusiast (your on this site!) you MAY notice a little rust over time, but that will be over a good period of time, and thats a MAYBE. 5 yrs, 7 yrs, 10 yrs? If you're half the enthusiast as the average person on here, you would relish the thought of, in 5 yrs, getting another mod done anyway, or just doing it for the experience to polish it if you're REALLY that worried about it. I don't know for sure 100%, but considering the price, I'm COMPLETELY comfortable going pacesetters and having the same performance gains, perhaps better with the coating...all for the "hearsay" of the naysayers, which is given their BEST scenario they can give you all the way around.

To the proponents that are saying "f*ck this guy", they will tell you Kooks. Its your take, but I seriously think unless you are really willing to make this a show car, or you've got the money, stainless on this IS NOT NECCESSARY or even better. But if you are that person who wants the piece of mind, I am by no means saying Kooks are bad. I'm just saying is it truly worth the extra piece of mind for a shine you won't see and a performance gain you won't notice. (If a tree falls in a forest..........)

Do what you want, this is just my .02. Of course, there are other opinions, some may correct me later, but their just more opinions (admittingly, some more educated than mine! -but both seem like really good choices) FWIW, these are my favorites too, along with perhaps QTP. Congrats either way, I'm sure you can be happy with both.
WOW, you definetly gave me a different view on the pacesetters ill look in to those and QTP, can you guys give me some good sponsor sites or other for QTP and Pacesetter
Old 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Bump.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

I say get Kooks. They fit good, and will hold value if you ever sell the car. There are things Kooks have like the venturi merge spike that will make more power over Pacesetter. While you save a buck with Pacesetter...that does not make it wrong to step up and put the best possible product on your car.

If you have any questions, give us a call at 443-730-9428. We are one of the biggest Kooks dealers in the country, and currently have these headers on sale (both Kooks and Pacesetter).
Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

I missed the QTP sale myself but came across QTP headers at Summit. For $688 ya cant go wrong.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Just need to round up some more cash and then its Mods Away!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

ive baught things off you befor maryland you probably remeber selling the SLP headers to my buddy down here in the FL KEYS and ive got a few things from you myself
Old 04-18-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

see the thing is is all of you are giving my good header alone prices i want a y pipe included for a great price you know?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

bump.