Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Middle of header install, need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Middle of header install, need some help...

Well, I started my header install at around 330 today, worked for about 3 hours until my friend had to go, so far we have...

Removed AIR/EGR...really surprised how much cleaner the engine bay looks.
Remobed drivers side manfold and part of the y pipe

Questions...

1. This piece of hose that goes into the intake right behind the TB, I have a block off plate for it, but if what do I do with the piece that connects to that little canister. That canister also looks like it has a piece that connected to the manifold. How do I delete this portion of it?

2. How do you get to the last passenger side header bolt?

3. Should I just get some stock header gaskets or use the ones that came with the pacesetters.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. The WHOLE thing, including the canister AND the two pieces of pipe gets removed when you ditch the EGR. Rip it off and the only thing you'll need to block off is the intake manifold (ASSUMING you got race headers, otherwise you need block off place for EGR on the header).

2. I got mine from underneath the car. OR you can take the coil pack bracket assembly off. I was surprised how much room this gives you when I did my cam install..

3. I would reuse my OLD gaskets before using the ones that came with the headers. If you can, go get new stock ones, lots of dealers usually have them in stock and they ain't expensive.

Good luck, moving along nicely it seems.

-J
Old 06-12-2007, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

1. The 'little canister' is your EGR. You can remove the whole thing if you have the freeze plug for the intake manifold, and a block off plate for the EGR connection for your headers. Just unbolt it from the cylinder head and remove the whole EGR.

2. Try to reach it from under the car if you can't get to it from the type. Extensions and swivel joints are your friend.

3. Re-use your stock gaskets or buy some new stock steel ones.

Edit: Dammit, beat me to it. Stupid dog needing to go out in the middle of my post! LOL
Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG
Edit: Dammit, beat me to it. Stupid dog needing to go out in the middle of my post! LOL
I was thinking that the whole time I was typing... "some MFer is gonna come say what I'm about to verbatim"
TECH Resident

1. Already covered. Twice.

2. Under the car. Consider doing the plugs if you haven't already done them.

3. Buy new gaskets. NOTHING sucks worse than having worked your *** off and ending up with an exhaust leak. Plus it'll make the car run odd because of air getting into the exhaust and throwing off the o2 readings.
TECH Fanatic

Def moving along better than my 4.6 mustang install, in which we dropped the whole kmember. For the ss we pulled the driver side manfiold out with the cat attached, we just lifted the car up nice and high and pulled it towards the front end of the car and the whole thing popped out. Would have liked to have gotten the other manifold off, but o well I guess getting almost 50% of it done in a few hours isnt bad. Def going faster than my attempt on my mustang lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. The cannister looking thingy comes off and they make a block off plate that bolts in place. You can get them from one of the sponcers. Your choice!
2. Alot of Beer and cussing.
3. Use the new ones that came with it.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks duders, removing that egr should give me a little more room, still gonna be tight on that back header bolt.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, now is the time for plugs and wires...if you can.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I forget to the plug to put in the place of the egr in the intake, I guess I could order one from speedinc or is there anything I can plug it with or any pieces that will fit?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, did some research, hope someone can varify this...

1-3/8 freeze plug will cover the egr hole behind my TB?

Also, what size freeze plug will go in the hole in the side of my slp lid?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by motoo344
OK, did some research, hope someone can varify this...

1-3/8 freeze plug will cover the egr hole behind my TB?

Also, what size freeze plug will go in the hole in the side of my slp lid?
I got my freeze plug at a Napa. Don't remember what section, just saw it, thought "hmm, that might work" and it did! You'll want to put a rubber grommet in the side of your lid if you don't need it for the smaller round filter...not sure, had the grommet for the lid on mine.

I just measured my freeze plug and it's 1.5" exactly (the metal top portion). I believe 1 3/8 will work because it's probably referring to the rubber beneath the metal top that expands outwards...good luck, double check every bolt.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, thanks for your help! Just wanted to varify, the napa is right in town so Ill head there tomorrow and check it out. Ive done 1 header install before, but that was on a mustang, Ill have to say this passenger side looks a little itimidating.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did my LT's last night. Took me 3 hours for headers, ory, and catback. I took out all the passenger side spark plug wires, and used a small 10mm on a 1/4 drive universal and just reached my arm back there and got it broken loose. Then i used my 1/4 drive air rachet, and it came right out no problem, without taking the coil off, or doing it from underneath. Heads up on the drivers side, depending on the headers you have it may be easier to take out the steering knuckle, because that will make sliding the drivers side header up alot easier.

on a side note, and not to what size freeze plug are you guys using to block off the EGR hole on the intake manifold. Right now i just just cut the piping pretty close to the flange that bolts to the manifold, and bent the piping down and mig welded up the hole. It doesnt leak, but it looks like a honda civic with a pink body kit
Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah, the steering knuckle. One bolt facing upwards, and one bolt down where it attatches to the rack. You'll need a hammer to get bottom part of the knuckle off the rack, it's not going to want to come off.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, Ill check the clearance on the knuckle tomorrow when I put the headers in. Ill let you know about the freezeplug, Im gonna try the 1 3/8. I used search and that seemed to be the number that popped up the most.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just finished my header install a few days ago, it is a 1 3/8 plug and it fits beautifully got it from napa, I took off my coil pack, the very back coil pack bolt is a *****, but dont put it back in when your done. With the coils removed it was no problem to reach every bolt. Go to gm and get some factory mls gaskets, way better. Here is some pics with the coils removed and the plug for the egr hole.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

How do you get the dipstick out?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

15mm bolt that goes into the head. Remove it and pull on the dipstick to remove. It may be in there pretty well, try not to twist it too much.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will do, trying to pull the coil bracket, its still held in by a bolt somewhere, I cant even see it lol. I can move it up and out of the way, which at least gives me access to most of the bolts besides the last two. Anyone know if this passenger side manifold will come off with the cat attached? Its stuck on there pretty good.