Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with Husky or similar catch can read this

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Those with Husky or similar catch can read this

Just bought a husky mini filter/separator from home depot for a better catch can mod than I have now. This one has a small drain valve at the bottom that you can turn to let the oil out. Before installing it, I sucked on the inlet with my finger over the outlet (and vice versa) to create a vacuum and to my surprise the little valve at the bottom pulls air in even while closed. I took that valve apart and found a one way check valve that when the bowl has pressure against it, seals. But with a vacuum in the bowl that check valve opens and lets air in. What this means to anyone who has this on their car as a catch can is that basically you have a direct vacuum leak. An easy fix would be a short section of hose with a screw or plug in it on that drain fitting, but thought I would bring this to everyones attention.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a husky mini filter/seperator last night on my car and noticed my valve didnt even work! I put water in it and it leaked whether i had it open or closed! I was pissed, so I just took some liquid nails glue and sealed the bottom. Glad I tested it before I installed it lol...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

I've been running one for about a year and have not had any air or drainage leaks whatsoever..............
Old 10-05-2007, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dmoney
I've been running one for about a year and have not had any air or drainage leaks whatsoever..............
Liquid doesn't leak out of this one either but there sure is a vacuum leak. Maybe it's just the newer ones with this check valve in it. Did you ever put your finger over the drain valve while the engine was running to see if you feel a suction?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine doesnt leak at all either. I havent put a ton of miles on it, but I have stuck my finger under it and even put some oil in it to see if air bubbles were leaking in. So far so good for me.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Mine may have been defective, cuz i had a huge leak in the valve of mine. Like I said, I plugged it and all is well now...
Old 10-05-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

I did the same thing and realized there could be a potential leak. I just used some air hose plugs and pulled it off. No worries now
Old 10-05-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

been running mine for about a year too w/o any problems. well, recently it stopped catching oil because the filter was clogged. so i just removed it and it works great now. which size are you using? the small one or the big one? i'm using the small one.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AFTICA
Liquid doesn't leak out of this one either but there sure is a vacuum leak. Maybe it's just the newer ones with this check valve in it. Did you ever put your finger over the drain valve while the engine was running to see if you feel a suction?
Funny you should post this. I discovered the very same thing this evening at the track. The idle was slightly erratic and I held my finger up the bottom and felt suction but no fluid was leaking. I ended up putting a vacuum cap on it until I can find a more suitable catch can. Oh well... there went $11. Chalk it up to being a cheap skate!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger
Funny you should post this. I discovered the very same thing this evening at the track. The idle was slightly erratic and I held my finger up the bottom and felt suction but no fluid was leaking. I ended up putting a vacuum cap on it until I can find a more suitable catch can. Oh well... there went $11. Chalk it up to being a cheap skate!
The vacuum cap will solve the problem so you should still be able to use it. I bet there's alot more people out there having erratic idle issues caused by this.

Ripper.... This is the small one. I think when using them for a catch can you should take out that brass filter right from the start to prevent it from plugging up like yours did.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

There's definitely an air leak in the Husky. Go to Harbor Freight and get one of theirs for $10. It has a schrader valve instead. Works great.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PCV system does not operate at high vacuum so
it may not be a big problem. One end is before
the TB blade and the PCV valve chokes flow to the
manifold side.

But good thing to check anyway.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

if there is a vacuum leak at the bottom, wouldnt the little rubber nipple thing that came with it seal up the push pin drain and prevent any air from getting in?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had this same problem, and i only noticed it cause it was leakin all over my garage floor. i just put a nail and then a cap over it. havent had any problems since.

Quick Reply: Those with Husky or similar catch can read this