Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooker stainless headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooker stainless headers

looking to order a set of stainless headers today , hooker has a set for 500 in stainless .... watcha think about them ? ground clearance ? install ease ?

i am trying to get in touch with the guy with the polished stainless headers on this site also but its hard to do with no phone number , and i have heard of fitment issues with his headers ....... is this true ......

please advise me in the right direction , i want to order them now so i can get them to louisiana for friday...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

hell, i didnt even realize hooker made SS headers,,,,,,

I HAVE heard that hookers fit very nice, with minimal ground clearance issues,,,,,once again,,i have only heard this, no first hand exp, but maybe others can chime in and support/debate that info...

as far as the XS headers go,,,there are countless threads about them. here is what i know off the top of my head
1. the DR side WILL hit the floor pan, heater hose mod is a must, others have taken the header to a exhaust place to have a pie wedge cut made, so it can be bent to the correct spot.
2. the Y is horrible, just look at the merge...ick
3. the price is very nice for SS headers,,im still torn myself,,but i do believe i want the lonnnnnnnngest LTH out there (QTP's or AR for me,,,i think)
4. Folks either really like them, or not. If they had better fitment,,i would buy in a heartbeat, but cutting, bending, and banging my car up to make them fit isnt in my 1st choice of things,,,although sometimes those issues are unavoidable.
5. they are not the same as sold on Ebay,,be careful for look-a-likes

hope this helps,,,,search alot, once you think you know what you want to do,,you will change your mind 8 more times,,,,,,,,,thats what i m going through,,,good thing im presently without fun funds.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

i hear ya on that ...... but my issue is i have the funds but dont want to make the mistake ..... oh and i have another problem , i want it now.....lol
Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think you'd go wrong with Hookers; I think you'd be fine with them, ARH, Kooks, QTP, etc. I haven't had either of the low-buck stainless LTs, but have heard input from those that have them, and they all have some sort of clearance issue. I think that there's a chance for that problem with any LT header out there, but I'd stay with the known companies out there, like the ones I listed above.

Take into consideration if you are running a CB or not too, and if you need a Y-pipe. There are ups and downs to everyone's Y-pipes.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Go to my thread in this section. "XS header install" You can see the pics and what we had to do make it fit.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the XS headers are being redesigned at the moment to correct some of the small issues. I have a set of XS headers I bought used with the collectors cut short due to the y-pipe being welded up. I have no problem with the driver's side header hitting the floor. It does hit the k-member occasionaly but I never changed the motor mount and poly mounts will probably help. The quality of the XS headers appears to be top notch and is made of the best stainless out there, T321 not the T304 or T409 like most others use. I think you'll find good and bad opinions on every header out there. Each car is different and if you don't take time during the install, you can end up with small problems.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am getting the Hookers after looking into into it. The guy I talked to said they went on easy with no fiitment issues and tucked up tight. I am lowering soon so that was a big deal to me. I have had Hooker's before and never had any problems (gen II and III). They are also listed as Super Comps on Hookers website so that means they have the velocity spikes in the merge so they should make really good power. The only drawback I could see is the T-304 is not top of the line stainless but it is still stainless. For $200 plus less than most other SS headers (careful not to name sponser names) it seems like the best bang for the buck to me me. I will let every know my impressions in a month or so after I get-r-done.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

i ended up getting the ceramic coated ones ..... i will install this weekend and run true duals , and i will get pics up after that for you guys to see ......

is there a detailed instalation guide with pics for headers around here?