Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with mild mods.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with mild mods.

Dear All.

I have a 99 camaro that I would like to do some mods to. In the beginning I would like to avoide changing the internal and heads. I have following mods in consideration, and is in need of some guidens, to what I'm missing and if I have the optimal setup.

I have following planed.

I already have a SPL intake with cold air kit and smooth Bellow.

I would like to do this.

Hooker medium headers. I would like to keep the CAT for emission purpose. I know It would be optimal with a long tube Header, but as far as I understand it is not possible to keep the Catalytic converter with LT headers.

A Y pipe, and I will manufacture a custom stainless exhaust.

I also Need a cam, but I'm not sure how steep I can go with out affecting daily driveability.

A Fast 90 mm intake with 90mm TB. Is it better ore just as good to go with the LS6 intake, and attempt to port the TB my self. I have seen how some have done in her, and it looks to fairly simple?

And of course a Tuning

I have thought about doing the heads, But it is quite expensive her in Denmark. It would run me about 2000 dollers.

The goal is 400 RWhp. Is this to unrealistic?

Thank you
Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

well you do not need a fast 90/90 if 400 is what you are going for, stick with a ls6 intake manifold, if you want to keep provisions then check out slp's version or buy one without and get the codes deleted

you can get lt headers with a catted y pipe if you are interested in long tubes...go lt/catted y, ls6 intake, good catback with cutout, underdrive pulley and a tune for bolt ons

as for a cam, there are a lot of options you can go with being cam only, look at
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/219024-cam-only-dyno-thread.html
with a bigger cam you are going to have to upgrade your valvetrain(ie pushrods, springs, retainers ect ect) you will also want to check out a ls6 ported oil pump and a ls2 chain...the list goes on but i think you get the point
Old 12-17-2007, 05:14 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have to stay emissions legal there is no way around it with anything but a shorty header. You need to check out the stickies that are listed above the sub forums. They will show you bolt ons and performace as well as internal performace such as heads and cam. If you price a good set of heads in America it is about 200 Dollars too. Just an FYI.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

400 is nothing with these cars really lol
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I have to settle with less bhp, or save up some more money, and do the heads, cams, lifters and rockers.. sounds expensive

Stage one might just be heads, exhaust, and ported TB.
Regarding the LT / shorties. The reason is not necessarily emission control. But in DK it mainly that the cat is mounted, and the CO2 does not increase a certain value, I think it is 10 %. But there are ways around it. the problem is that it hard to argue against a cat there is not there, but should be..

If you think I can run LT headers with the cat, and not have to great a CO2 gain, that sounds like the business, a 300 celled cat is perfectly legal in DK.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

... with your last statement but cool...i think your stage one should be intake,exhaust...heads and cam is a big project there are a lot more than just heads and cam to worry about...need the supporting mods to help stregthen the package ya know...not to mention the type of tune you will need afterwards...crazier the cam, crazier the tune and harder it is to get to idle right...
Old 12-17-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

i wouldn't do the whole slp package. i'd just buy a lid from them (or somewhere else)

You can have catted y-pipes with Lt headers

dont waste your money on a fast 90. that 1200 will pay for your camshaft and supporting mods. Just stick with the ls6 intake

and you can get a nice 224 cam that should get you decent power with near stock drivability, i dont know about the tuners out there, but there are plenty of people driving bigger cams than that with "stock" drivability

are you auto or m6? you could get close to 400hp if youre m6 and go a little bigger then the 224 cam. keep a stall in mind if youre an auto and goin to a bigger cam
Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

he can always use a slp ls6 manifold for emissions tho...unless he doesn't need emissions then he can pick one up off here like i did..
Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Teching In

The stage one would be intake (ported TB) the slp kit I already have and exhaust.

The stage two if i want more power would be Heads and cam, and torque converter.

I have an auto trans. And I would like to keep some torque,

Original I was thinking of a medium cam I guessing 222/222 so I wouldn’t have to change the torque converter, But sounds like it would be better to wait with the cam until / if I do the Heads.

We have pretty good tuners here. I have a friend that drives pro race cars. and I know a few other guise that are god at chipping cars. Unfortunately not a lot of people over here know the LS1. The mostly run Euro cars, and older mopar drag cars.

Wasn’t set on 400 although it would be nice. I would just like to be in the area. 380-something would also be fine.

But I have to admit I’m still not sour about what to do with Headers / exhaust. I'm thinking about from the head to after the Y pipe?
But Despite what I have been told other places, It sounds like the general opinion in here it that unless you do a bit more extensive mods the horse power gain from changing heads and Y-pipe is not that great, unless I go full LT ? If I should chose to change headers and Y pipe, do you have any recommendations to which LT headers I can run a cat with as we talked about earlier?

And by the way regarding bhp. in Denmark we can get 98 octane as pump gas. That should help a bit.