Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another cutout thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another cutout thread!

I know there has been a ton of cutout threads and ive done alot of searching and reading up on the subject but i still have a few questions. Im going to be installing a electric cutout in the I pipe under the rear passenger seat. Is there any advantage to adding a turndown to the setup? Also do you have a gasket between the motor assembly and the end of the cutout? This is getting done tommarow, ive had to wait for this for a while now so i hope its worth it. I have pacesetter LT's no cats and a magnaflow catback I hope it sounds as good!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question!

I did that exact thing on my car. When I had them install the cutout I was thinking where it was pointing it may eventually shoot that soot crap all under the car PLUS when I cranked it I wasnt real happy with the sound so I asked the Meineke welder if he could possibly fab up a little down pipe and he said sure so for another $20 he made one for me, after cranking it up I loved it.
It had a deeper sound that you can feel since its now reasonating under the car.

I say go for it and get the down pipe made plus like I said at least it will keep that crap off your car too...not like anyone can see but its just the idea and you could always remove the down pipe afterwards if you dont like it.

Oh and you dont need a gasket between the cutout and down pipe since the cutout pipe and cutout have a gasket between them.

It needs cleaned but yea I think it looks alot better with a down pipe on there for sure:

Last edited by CO99Z28Vert; 02-01-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other thing. With your set up and a cutout its going to sound great at idle and will sound like a drag car when you get on it

Again the good thing about an electric cutout is you can be loud when you want to be, especially like tonight when a V6 Mustang (not hating) got next to me and revved it at me, I said screw it and spun the tires on purpose taking off because his window was down and I know that **** was loud lol.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont know how it will sound with LT's + no cats def. louder than mine with stock manifolds and cats but i think it sounds good. quiet at idle and loud like a banshee once you go WOT
Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally dont really think that a turndown will add too much to it simply because the sound from the cutouts is already bouncing around under the car, so a turndown wont add too much more, but i may be wrong....

as far as the sound, i know mine is wake up dead people loud, but ive got dual cutouts instead of just one. ive rattled all kind of bolts loose everywhere in the car. its awesome to park beside someone and set off thier car alarm whenever you want
Old 02-01-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

i dont know that a turndown would do anything... the only reason i would is to devert the exaust away from the car... so it wont seep in (if that was a problem)
Old 02-01-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

The turndown idea came about while I was looking through old threads. I saw alot of cutout pics and almost all of them the underside is nasty with exhaust soot. Plus I know you can zip-tie the wires away from the exhaust flow but im still kinda worried about the heat and the wire. I plan on wrapping the wire with some insulation wire and some tape but I was thinking maybe a turndown would just be a little added protection from soot and heat? Guess im paranoid
Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tennz28
Plus I know you can zip-tie the wires away from the exhaust flow but im still kinda worried about the heat and the wire. I plan on wrapping the wire with some insulation wire and some tape but I was thinking maybe a turndown would just be a little added protection from soot and heat? Guess im paranoid
yea, you are paranoid. The only way your cutout motor/wires are going to be damaged by heat is if your car is belching fire...and, if so, you have bigger problems at hand than if you have a turndown at the end of your cutout or not
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always just run your wires through the rubber grommet under the rear passenger seat. That way you can hide your wires under the carpet and into the center console!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Your still going to get all kinds of fumes in the car, and black **** all over the under side. I had cut outs on previous cars in high school (even the old I6 farm truck, dont ask). Looking back, it was retarded. Cutouts dont even sound 'good', just loud. At idle with a stock cam it makes the car sound like a big diesel engine, like a dump truck. It also sounds like crap at part throttle when taking off at low rpms (think rasp). The only time it sounds decent is WOT. With headers and no cats, be prepared to get a headache when driving around town. To each their own....
Old 02-02-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got everything installed today, it took about a hour for the wiring but it was pretty easy. I ended up putting the button below the rear hatch button under the stering wheel. I put the wire through the rubber gromet under the passenger seat then kept going under the carpet all the way to the fuse box. All an all it was a clean install and I think it sounds great! (diddnt bother with the turndown)
Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics?