Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with a Question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a Question!

Okay so I was a die-hard Ford guy but since putting a lot of money in my old 1970 Mustang and still occasionally getting beat by a nicely modded LS1 I decided I would give it a try especially, since last time I was gonna buy an
LS1 I ended up getting a 96' Triple Black Cobra and, spent like 10,000 on it before I decided the miles were getting high and I came across this beautiful NBM M6 2000 TA Ram Air...I had to get it!! So I traded the 100,000 mile Cobra for the TA with only 30,000 miles! It now has 40,000 and I need more power! Only Mods are a SLP LID, SMOOTH BELLOW, and an ELECTRIC CUTOUT! About 8 Months ago I purchased SLP LONGTUBE HEADERS AND A Y-PIPE with HIGH FLOW CATS! I hesitated to install them since I just purchased a new house and wanted to get some money save for a safety net! I now have the money to install them but through reading in this very informative website, I have read some bad things about them and their clearance issue! Should I sell these and buy another brand??? I thought these were some of the best money could buy being ceramic coated and stainless steel! But I like to have my car washed through automatic carwashes occasionally,especially in the winter! Will I be able to have the Car Washed with these Headers! This really isn't the biggest concern, but more like a side note! The Main thing is ground clearance! What if I lower the Car! IF I SHOULD SELL THEM What other BRAND would be better!

ALSO, If I do the INSTALL and it is gonna need a tune should I remove my EGR , and what would be the Best CAM if I don't want to notch pistons or change heads do to the LOW MILES OF THE CAR!

Sorry for long post and your opinion is appreciated!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Signature TEST ...I need to get pictures of the TA...But this is my sig off a Mustang Site!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

in my opinion ditch the SLP's....if fitment, install ease, or ground clearance are important.

if you have the $$$ look at Kooks, American Racing, or QTP's

if you're on a budget, ceramic coated Hookers or even Armor Coat Pacesetters
Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

congrats on your new car
SLP headers (i have em) will hang about an inch, to an inch and ahalf below the K member
i did not tune after my SLP install, saving that for after the H/C, my car runs fine,
EGR will throw a code if not removed via PCM once the actual hardware is removed
can't help ya with the cam, although,,i think we are safe under .600 lift without having to flycut,,but dont take my word on that
241's are pretty good heads (assuming thats what you have) u may want to consider just doing a PNP on your stock heads for some extra flow,,at a lot lower cost than buying 243's, aftermarkets, etc.

Congrats again on you new toy!!! (great choice in color too)
Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kooks
Old 02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Launching!

whats up man, you still haven't put lt's on the car huh lol. i'd ditch the slp they tend to hang low. you'll want a tune after header install.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

i have heard nothing but good about QTP's, so i would recommend them. I personally had JetHot coated hookers that worked pretty well too, but the fit was tight!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by m6speed
whats up man, you still haven't put lt's on the car huh lol. i'd ditch the slp they tend to hang low. you'll want a tune after header install.
Ya buying a first house will do that to ya! Makes you reconsider all of your expenses...lol. But I would say it has been a little too long! Its like buying a condom and never using it! Anyways looks like you sold your car and picked up an 02...was there something wrong with the 98?

Back to the question...seems like Kooks is the definate winner in quality and performance and fitment....where would be a good place to get them and what should I sell the SLP's with High Flow Cats for?!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
congrats on your new car
SLP headers (i have em) will hang about an inch, to an inch and ahalf below the K member
i did not tune after my SLP install, saving that for after the H/C, my car runs fine,
EGR will throw a code if not removed via PCM once the actual hardware is removed
can't help ya with the cam, although,,i think we are safe under .600 lift without having to flycut,,but dont take my word on that
241's are pretty good heads (assuming thats what you have) u may want to consider just doing a PNP on your stock heads for some extra flow,,at a lot lower cost than buying 243's, aftermarkets, etc.

Congrats again on you new toy!!! (great choice in color too)

Are 241's referred to as stock LS1 heads and 243's are Z06 Heads!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
i have heard nothing but good about QTP's, so i would recommend them. I personally had JetHot coated hookers that worked pretty well too, but the fit was tight!
I do have a QTP electric cutout that I am impressed with maybe there headers would be a good choice! Where would be a good place to buy either the QTP or KOOKS!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fastback302
Ya buying a first house will do that to ya! Makes you reconsider all of your expenses...lol. But I would say it has been a little too long! Its like buying a condom and never using it! Anyways looks like you sold your car and picked up an 02...was there something wrong with the 98?

Back to the question...seems like Kooks is the definate winner in quality and performance and fitment....where would be a good place to get them and what should I sell the SLP's with High Flow Cats for?!
yeah house is a good thing. i sold the 98 a long time ago, it was getting old and i was going to get a vette but got a good deal on the 02 so i got it. i have QTP headers and my car runs pretty good with them.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

I personally just bought a set of american racing headers. I have heard only good things about them. I should be getting them in the mail today so i will let you know later how they are.

Kooks headers i have heard mostly good things about them, and a lot of the sponsers sell them. try looking at speed inc. they have pretty good prices.

qtp headers seems to me like they are a hit or miss on quality. when they first came out they were good, but now the quality just doesnt seem to be there.

Try searching, there is a lot of good info on here about headers.

my $0.02
Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

that and the Y pipe sux..(QTP, fitment)
Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
that and the Y pipe sux..(QTP, fitment)
Yeah for got about the y-pipe. Shitty.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

On your LS1 you could have either 853 or 241 heads, there was a mid-year change. 243s are from the LS6 for the most part, but later model trucks got them as well.

We sell most brands of headers, let me know what you want and I'll see what SDPC can do for you!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

i installed a 650 lift MS$ cam in my 02 ss and had 70 thousands clearance with stock valve size and stock pistons
Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BDBOTI
i installed a 650 lift MS$ cam in my 02 ss and had 70 thousands clearance with stock valve size and stock pistons
How did it Run!!!!!!!!!!!! Was it a Manual! What type of numbers did you put down!..the only difference should be the intake, yours being and LS6 and mine a LS1. What other supporting mods did you have to get your numbers! I hear the MS4 is a great choice! at 603 lift would the MS3 be a better choice being it is my daily driver!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
On your LS1 you could have either 853 or 241 heads, there was a mid-year change. 243s are from the LS6 for the most part, but later model trucks got them as well.

We sell most brands of headers, let me know what you want and I'll see what SDPC can do for you!
Between 853 and 241 heads which makes more power or better question is which is the more desireable head between the two and how do I tell!
VIN#....?

How much would some KOOKS cost me. Do they have a Ypipe that matches!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fastback302
Between 853 and 241 heads which makes more power or better question is which is the more desireable head between the two and how do I tell!
VIN#....?

How much would some KOOKS cost me. Do they have a Ypipe that matches!
You can a set of kooks and there catted y for 1400 or 1500.

Like I said earlier i would go with american racing, i got my set including the y for a littler more than 1300.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Yes from what i have heard the MS3 and MS4 are both great cams. They are custom ground by comp cams......... They have videos of cars with the cams in them on youtube.. just search magic stick 3 or magic stick 4 on youtube .... I ahve not had a chance to run with it yet i am still worki on the car i am doin alot of mods to it...... My car is a automatic but i have beat alot of six or 5 speed cars...... But the cam is great from what i hear they sound good with mufflers and of course even better with cut outs... Now I got my headers from LS1 speed , they are a set of flowtechs that are ceramic coated for 373.00!!! A couple of my budies have got them and they sound great..... But as allways the choice is up to you, sometimes it is best to you with your own stuff and you might get a great setup out of them!!! Good Luck