Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Pop/Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Pop/Backfire

Ever since installing the B&B Bullet setup on my C5, I've had some pretty aggressive popping between shifts and it's just driving me insane. I'm 99% convinced I'm getting backfiring somehow.

Now, before everyone goes nuts and says exhaust popping and such is normal after installing this type of exhaust...that's not the same thing I'm talking about. A lot of cackling and burbling on deceleration is normal, I understand that.

What I'm getting is a pretty violent snap/pop when on the throttle hard and letting off quick or tapping it and letting off. Either combination really. Sometimes, it's extremely aggressive/loud...sounding exactly like a backfire.

I have not heard this in the tons and tons of videos I've seen online and I fear something is wrong. I'd like to hear what you guys think on this and what are the first things I can check. The few things I've researched so far that could cause something like this is faulty plugs/wires, etc. It did this when I got the exhaust, and it does it still after new plugs/wires I installed 2wks ago.

I made a video a while back on the exhaust, and you can "kind of" hear it when I rev it up high and get off the throttle quick. It's the quick SNAP you hear immediately as I lift the throttle. Keep in mind that this snap can often be about 5-10x as loud sometimes. It's pretty bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMIoB4LCNA8
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

u got any exhaust leaks of any nature? is youre system welded up? what header gaskets you using?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Only exhaust done on the car is just the B&B Bullet catback setup. There are no exhaust leaks. System is tack-welded where necessary.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

try and get us a video =)
Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

You running with a cat? That made a huge difference for me when I put mine back on.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like your running a ORY with no cat, if thats the case i bet u put a cat on there it will make the pop stop or more mild =) i only heard it a couple times in the vid
Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it only do it when the car is cold or does it do it when its up to temp also?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

mine pops, but i have a cutout and leaks all over the place in my Y pipe. Gonna fix that problem soon with true duals.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Exhaust leak was my first thought also. If you find that your performance and gas mileage goes downhill, then that's the problem.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Staging Lane

As I said before, the exhaust on this car is factory besides the B&B Bullet setup. Also, once again there are NO leaks in the system. And uh...I DID post a video.

I found the answer in another forum since apparently nobody here can read, but thanks anyway guys!!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Pop/Backfire