Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with TSP Catted Y

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with TSP Catted Y

Hey guys, yesterday I tried to instal the TSP catted y on my 00 SS and I could not even get the driver side to come close to fitting. I'm not sure if the first peice is supposed to go over the header all the way until the weild or just held on by the clamp. Once the first peice went on the driver side header I got the driver side cat on but when u try and bring it anywhere near the last peice, (the y), it won't even come close to going in. I know the previous owner put an aftermarket muffler on the car but I doubt the long straight pipe was altered in anyway. Any suggestions before I take it to the shop and cut some of the peices shorter? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry man the tsp catted y is notorious for not fitting in some cars and fitting like a glove in others. i would say try modifying it any way u can to make it fit.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each y-pipe is built in a jig so that each one is identical to the next. You might give me a call when you get a chance and we'll make sure you have the correct cat on each side. The slip-fit tolerances are very tight to minimize exhaust leaks but it should slide right on. Give me a call when you get a chance and I'll make sure we get it lined out!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Teching In

I just got the same setup....installing this weekend hopefully
Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Teching In

I had to have both pieces that go over the collectors opened up at shop. I've read a number of posts where others have had the same problem.

The next problem you'll have is ground clearance under the driver's side cat. There isn't any. I can just fit my fist under the cat on the driver's side and it's so close to the floorboard it rattles. The passenger side isn't too bad.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a pic I picked up, some details I wrote on the pic. Basically when putting it in place I find that I have way too much pipe lieft over to fit, a good 7 to 10" of extra metal. I'm gonna try and do it on a lift since I lacked room under the car.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really crappy merge in the Y too. Not a very smooth transition.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone else want to comment on there TSP catted Y instal?

TTT
Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was surprised how low it was after install, about 3/4 of a coke can. Seems like it's sealing well though.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had one on for a little while. It was a bit of a pain to install but it fit ok. It was too low for my car though, the drivers side cat scraped frequently so I went to their ORY. It has more clearance but still scrapes pulling into my garage because I have a fairly steep driveway.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

I just wanted to know exactly how far does the Y pipe slip on the collector or should it just be held in place by the band clamp? I was thinking that the cermamic coating might not allow it to sit properly.

Either way I gave up on putting the catted Y in, limited tools, space, and time make it hard to go under the car. I'm taking it to a shop that deals with f-bodies but it still bothers me that I couldn't get a simple set of pipes on the damn car!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Had about the same amount of trouble as you are with my install. Had to borrow a pipe expander from autozone to make sure both the collector and the pipe going on it were perfectly round. This allowed me to get the pipe over the collector by "MAYBE" one inch. I think, as a result, I had to cut about 4 inches off the I-pipe from my Magnaflow.

Also agree, AWFUL merge.

But hey... if I pass Massachusetts emissions, so be it.

No doubt I will be hacking it up and using it for parts to build a custom Y in the future.