Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake back piece missing...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 intake back piece missing...HELP!!!

Bought a LS6 intake off the board a few weeks ago and finally got the time to put it on. Old one off, new one ready to put on except the plug on the back is missing. It's the one that fills the small hole dirctly opposit the throttle body and has the provisions for the map and brake booster hose. I thought that I would be able to use the one off of my old intake but it won't come out and appears as if it's not meant to come out. Dealer says its paert of the intake assembly with no separate part # or "unserviceable". WTF do I do now? Any suggestions?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think ws6store sells that plug. Check the vendors and see if they have it. I believe its the coolant tube and back plug for like 40-something dollars at ws6store.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...d4462036909ca1
Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, but thats not it. The piece I'm talking about goes into the intake itself. It's made of plastic and is black. It has a hollow "finger" protruding towards the driver's side that the brake booster hose slips onto.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, he's talking about the plug at the back of the intake that the brake booster line plugs into and all, not the coolant plugs. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot buy that piece separate. Maybe someone will chime in with a way to work around that though that I haven't seen!

Good luck with it.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

you mean where the MAP plgus in?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, bought the intake from BigKap94Z a few weeks ago. Hopefully he will come through. Two GM parts desks have told me it's nonserviceable. Hope the intake is not screwed. Somebody has to have a way around this!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rapter34
you mean where the MAP plgus in?
The MAP does plug in to the part I need. As does the brake booster line and some other vacuum line.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

best bet might be to get a ls1 intake and rob that piece from it
Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silverLSWON
best bet might be to get a ls1 intake and rob that piece from it
Been trying to get the piece from my LS1 intake. Once it gets snapped in at the factory, it's there for good. I can rotate it around 360 degrees but it will not pop out. No way to extract it except to maybe cut around it and destroy the intake itself and that ain't gonna happen. No guarantee that the LS1 piece is the same as a LS6 piece anyway. Going to try and get my $$ back I guess if nobody has a reasonable solution.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Been trying to get the piece from my LS1 intake. Once it gets snapped in at the factory, it's there for good. I can rotate it around 360 degrees but it will not pop out. No way to extract it except to maybe cut around it and destroy the intake itself and that ain't gonna happen. No guarantee that the LS1 piece is the same as a LS6 piece anyway. Going to try and get my $$ back I guess if nobody has a reasonable solution.
I've seen used LS1 intakes go for like $30. Get one, mutilate it, and fab up the tube in the new intake. Epoxy it if you have to, you can always make something work if you try hard enough.

EDIT: Now that I've said that, why not just epoxy a PVC tube in there. Simple.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I've seen used LS1 intakes go for like $30. Get one, mutilate it, and fab up the tube in the new intake. Epoxy it if you have to, you can always make something work if you try hard enough.

EDIT: Now that I've said that, why not just epoxy a PVC tube in there. Simple.
If the brake booster hose was the only thing that attatched to the piece, I would consider rigging a fitting. But, you got the port for the MAP and another tube for a vacuum line as well. I'm in the intake for $335 now. Another 30 for LS1 intake plus at least 20 to ship. ****, almost 400 now and I end up with a hack job. Just got the LS1 intake back on and would like a guarantee that the hack job method would work before I go that route.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the brake booster hose was the only thing that attatched to the piece, I would consider rigging a fitting. But, you got the port for the MAP and another tube for a vacuum line as well. I'm in the intake for $335 now. Another 30 for LS1 intake plus at least 20 to ship. ****, almost 400 now and I end up with a hack job. Just got the LS1 intake back on and would like a guarantee that the hack job method would work before I go that route.
Seems like searching for a used LS1 intake is your only bet. Did the seller disclose the missing piece?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like searching for a used LS1 intake is your only bet. Did the seller disclose the missing piece?
No he did not disclose that. Seller has a strong rating here too.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would have contacted him immediately upon receipt of the intake,

i have hacked a ls1 intake back in the early days, i removed that rear plug
to gain access to the rear pillar. i removed the front and rear pillars of the intake for better flow
it nver fell apart tho, and left on the car when i sold it.
i epoxied with jb weld and some hi temp caulk material
Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe he'll be a upfront guy and let you return it or cut you a discount. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe he'll be a upfront guy and let you return it or cut you a discount. Good luck.
Thanks, I hope so too.

NemeSS, I would try that route if I had an old LS1 intake laying around but just can't bring myself to do that to my one and only stocker. How did you cut it out of there anyway?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, I hope so too.

NemeSS, I would try that route if I had an old LS1 intake laying around but just can't bring myself to do that to my one and only stocker. How did you cut it out of there anyway?
if u yank on it u may break of the booster "finger"
i used a aluminim rod thru the tb bore and tapped with a mallet til it popped off, came out in 1 piece, it has a oring type seal on it.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
8 Second Club

I will plastic weld it for you if you want. No charge to help a fellow board member. I have repaired these before. If you don't feel comfortable removing the piece from the LS1 intake send them both. I can get it done within a day of receiving. Let me know.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That piece can be removed from your LS1 intake. Its not the easiest thing to get off but it will come out. I removed the one that was in that intake because the ports were capped off/glued shut. I have a messed up one here that u can have, its the one I was using since i got the intake. One of the ears is broken off but it still seals. What i have a problem with here is that you name me like i did something wrong. The pics of the intake did not show that piece on the intake, and as far as im concerned that plug can be swapped like any other part on the manifold. Then you PM me, and leave a message on my cell phone and by the time i get out of work you have already filed a dispute with paypal. There is nothing wrong with the intake, so saying its not whats described is ridiculous.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow he filed a dispute with paypal over this? If what you advertised in pics did not have it, its not your issue. Used parts are normally sold as is and its not like this ls6 intake is ruined he does have options.