Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can u make an fbody sound like a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can u make an fbody sound like a vette?

heard a c5 zo6 today with longtubes cam and exhaust and fell in love with the way it sounded... i have a bolt on camaro with the longtubes x pipe true duals and it sounded nothing like the vette do any of you guys have any setups that sound close??? stupid thread i know but would love to get my car to sound the same!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:02 PM

Run it out the rear and put some vette borla stinger mufflers on the back i am sure that you can custom fab something up. If I had the money and ablility to weld I would have already done this. Because they do sound badass.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

the borla stingers seem to be the common answer... i was think of replacing the bullets with the stingers and continue the exhaust with flanges under axle into tips out the back any one have sound clips of the stingers on an fbody please!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

x pipe, true duals?

edit: just reread your post, you already have this =X
Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastjarred98
heard a c5 zo6 today with longtubes cam and exhaust and fell in love with the way it sounded... i have a bolt on camaro with the longtubes x pipe true duals and it sounded nothing like the vette do any of you guys have any setups that sound close??? stupid thread i know but would love to get my car to sound the same!
That's my exhaust guys goal, let you know if he is successful when he is done later this week.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 PM

definally the borla stingers, i like my x-pipe with moroso spiral flows sounds better then any y-pipe setup. I also get tons of complimants about the system.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjarred98

I was gonna say run an x pipe and that gets you real close, but noticed you have an x, so?

Usually the biggest difference in vettes and f bodys is a y pipe single exit exhaust compared to an x pipe with duals, but hell you probably already know that.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if you run true duals its not going to sound like a vette. The mufflers are going to be in different locations not to mention that the headers are different. Not trying to be discouraging but if you want your car to sound like a vette, buy a vette because honestly that's probably about the only way its going to happen.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

What are borla stingers? Are they similar to bullet mufflers? I've never heard of them
Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the mufflers at the exit location with a dualed x-pipe set up and it will sound very similiar....

I love how a vette sounds as well.....
Old 08-12-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also a vette have diffrent computer settings,diffrent air box, diff style exhaust system so its a lot of thing that make them diffrent.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
Also a vette have diffrent computer settings,diffrent air box, diff style exhaust system so its a lot of thing that make them diffrent.
Dude, seriously.

Its just different exhaust setup.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

an air box and computer really wouldnt make an impact on the sound of the exhaust.... cam yes but mine isnt stock... i know buying the vette would be the answer but i have 17k on my fbody and i love it. i also understand the exhaust setup is different and its impossible to make a fbody sound exactly like a vette... i just want to try and get close... now yes the longtube design is different but even with stock manifolds and aftermarket exhaust the vette has its own sound... so i was figuring i need to set my exhaust up as similar as i can to the vette with resonators out back x pipe with true duals... ill keep my longtubes and no cats... anyone have sound clips with the borla stingers? ive also heard that true duals with the loudmouth 1 resonators is a badass sounding setup? anyone know of anybody with that setup as well??
Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Dude, seriously.

Its just different exhaust setup.
No, not at all.

First off, 98-99 LS1's had different cams in the motor between the F-body and Corvette. If you have an older F-body, it'll sound different based on this alone.

Second, it's impossible to get a true dual setup in the same way a Corvette has it. The Corvette is designed for true duals. You can run equal length pipes on a Corvette, which will contribute to its sound. In an F-body, you can't put a proper true dual setup on it. You will wind up with one side significantly longer than the other. In the Corvette, you can have mirror bends. You'll have the same bends on the driver's side as the right side. On the F-body, they'll be completely different everywhere. You'll NEVER get the exact Corvette sound because you can't fit anything close to a Corvette true dual setup on your car.

Third, the F-body has a completely different natural frequency than the Corvette. There's a reason why the F-body tends to rasp and hum inside the car right around ~2100-2300 rpm's. It's the resonance of the chassis. The Corvette's will do it at a different rpm. The F-body chassis will change the sound of the exhaust enough to make it noticeably different than the Corvette.

Forth, you won't be able to put the mufflers in the same place on the F-body as you will a Corvette. Muffler placement changes exhaust significantly. Don't believe me? Run single chambers in the center of the chassis, then run them right before the tips. I've heard sound clips of each setup. They're significantly different sounding.

That's just off the top of my head. There's a reason you've never heard an F-body sound like a Corvette Honestly, the closest I've ever heard is a Corsa catback on a completely stock car. My car when it was lid/catback only sounded like a cross between a Corvette and a Mustang. Now that I have headers on, it doesn't sound anything CLOSE to what it used to sound like. It's a lot more tinny sounding, so I just leave the cutout open all the time
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
No, not at all.

First off, 98-99 LS1's had different cams in the motor between the F-body and Corvette. If you have an older F-body, it'll sound different based on this alone.

Second, it's impossible to get a true dual setup in the same way a Corvette has it. The Corvette is designed for true duals. You can run equal length pipes on a Corvette, which will contribute to its sound. In an F-body, you can't put a proper true dual setup on it. You will wind up with one side significantly longer than the other. In the Corvette, you can have mirror bends. You'll have the same bends on the driver's side as the right side. On the F-body, they'll be completely different everywhere. You'll NEVER get the exact Corvette sound because you can't fit anything close to a Corvette true dual setup on your car.

Third, the F-body has a completely different natural frequency than the Corvette. There's a reason why the F-body tends to rasp and hum inside the car right around ~2100-2300 rpm's. It's the resonance of the chassis. The Corvette's will do it at a different rpm. The F-body chassis will change the sound of the exhaust enough to make it noticeably different than the Corvette.

Forth, you won't be able to put the mufflers in the same place on the F-body as you will a Corvette. Muffler placement changes exhaust significantly. Don't believe me? Run single chambers in the center of the chassis, then run them right before the tips. I've heard sound clips of each setup. They're significantly different sounding.

That's just off the top of my head. There's a reason you've never heard an F-body sound like a Corvette Honestly, the closest I've ever heard is a Corsa catback on a completely stock car. My car when it was lid/catback only sounded like a cross between a Corvette and a Mustang. Now that I have headers on, it doesn't sound anything CLOSE to what it used to sound like. It's a lot more tinny sounding, so I just leave the cutout open all the time

thanks choco... i understand i cant make the bends the same as the vette i have a comp cam to start with so it has nothing to do with the years for me .... i have hooker longtubes which you are right... they arent equal length on both sides....but i have continued the 3" from the collector all the way to the dumps...i know the headers are different (bends shape length) which do contribute but i have the same motor as the 98 ls1 vette so shouldnt the sound be somewhat similar with the same sized x piping and resonators. i dont have the same bends as the vette does behind the bumper and im going under axle vs. the vette over the irs... and i will be putting the stingers right before the tips like the vette...thank god that i dont have rasp!! the rasp i believe comes from the y pipe where the exhaust gasses merge against each other at the Y and the rasp comes from the pressure of the two pipes deflecting against where they meet each other not the chassis.... now exhaust does have a resonation off the chassis like you said but im describing behind the car sound....
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No hard feeling dude, but thats crazy.

The sound is inside the pipes. It doesnt matter what it sounds like inside.

Cam difference? With all the cam changes vettes and f bodiess go through?

I cant bolt a vette system on an f body, but I can pretty much build the same exact system that will fit an f body.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

full force who are you talking to
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

This is how a corvette system looks- I dont think this is possible to do without ground clearance issues on a F body...
Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

I would love to use the billy boat system on my ls1 rx7 but that damn exhaust is stupid expensive
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

man if anything I'd be askin how you could get a vette to sound like a fbody. I was at a carshow this yr, had a c5 Z06 with lt's reving to me, so ofcourse I had to rev back. And personally that vette sounded great, but my trans am sounded better.

They made a joke about how the Firebird sounded better than the vette.

and this was before the cam!

Quick Reply: can u make an fbody sound like a vette?