Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers to buy?

I have a 2000 z-28 a4 with 3.73 gears and magnaflow cat back. What would be best set of headers for this set up? I don't want rasp, want to keep 50 state legal, and don't want to pay fortune. Thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Default Re: headers to buy?

If you want to stay 50 state legal, get the BBK Shorty headers. Won't give you much of a gain.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could go with longtubves...but you'd have to get tuning to stay emissions legal...and you'd have to have a reason to change the cats....most emissions states will not let you remove/replace/relocate them until one of them goes bad or untill after a state specified mileage. It can be a real pain in the *** unless you know somebody who can pass you with the mods you want to do....some shops dont care about the relocation thing....but they have to do all the work for you....kinda sucks...move to a odb2 checker state or somewhere that just doesnt care and it will be a lot easier.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

If all I would need after lt's is some tuning that doesn't seem like a big deal.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I have to tell you. I installed my Pacesetter Lt's & ORY this past weekend & the tuning thing?..
I am sure i will need it as the car runs somewhat rich, but as far as driveability & idle. Man the car runs as smooth as it ever has! No codes, No SES, life is good. I have the Borla & the rasp is terrible @ 2000-2300 rpm's. Will be working on that this week. Maybe Bullet or True duals. Can't beat the Pacesetters for the price! Good luck! & as always this is my .02!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Long tubes are not street legal. The position of the Cats has to stay the same. That doesn't mean you cant get away with it, it just wont pass a complete inspection.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

like I said ...you have to find a shop who will let you relocate them(meaning...you need a buddy on the inside) If you get pulled over and they do the sniffer...you can still pass...cause they usually dont look under the car...and even if they do...if you have cats on they will probably not know that they are relocated....Just make sure what the rules for your area are before you go dumping money into it. and again...typically the only reason theyt let you acce or relocate them is if one of them goes bad...and it depends on your states laws about it.....sometimes after a certain mileage you can replace them too...but its way up there.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

It depends on the state regarding the legality of moving the cats. Chcck it out with your local emissions office.