Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much damage could a leaking head gasket cause?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much damage could a leaking head gasket cause?

I had my car in the shop getting my clutch replaced, and I had a small coolant leak. I had the shop look at it, and low and behold, the driver side gasket is leaking. I have no idea how long it has been leaking, but enough for me to have to put water and coolant into the radiator twice in the last couple of months. Being aluminum head and block, is their a good chance either one could be warped? Car is not out of the shop yet, but when it is, I’m taking it to another shop and have them tear down the engine and measure everything to make sure it is still fine. Heads I am not worried about, but the block yes. Anyway, just wondering how much damage could I potentially have? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

If it doesn't leak into the oil or cylinder and you keep the coolant level up, you will be fine. Just be careful if you drive it. The gasket is compromised and will get worse.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Yea, I know it will get worse, so I'm parking it once its out of the shop, until I can fix it. The main thing that is in the back of my mind is block warpage.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest danger is that it leaks into the cylinder while it's sitting. Then you start it, it hydrolocks and blows a hole in the cylinder.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaveX
The biggest danger is that it leaks into the cylinder while it's sitting. Then you start it, it hydrolocks and blows a hole in the cylinder.
****. That makes me feel real great. Well after I drive it to the shop to get it checked out, it will sit while I pull the heads and put the new ones on. Hydrolocking deffenatly isn't fun. Would the piston go first, or could the rod snap and go through the block?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
****. That makes me feel real great. Well after I drive it to the shop to get it checked out, it will sit while I pull the heads and put the new ones on. Hydrolocking deffenatly isn't fun. Would the piston go first, or could the rod snap and go through the block?
Not trying to scare you but I have seen a few threads where someone's car was sitting for a while, they started it and *kaboom*, big hole in the block. Since the blocks are aluminum they can let go when hydrolocked but who's to say what would let go first.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it ever ran too hot you can F the both the rings and bearings but that doesn't sound like an issue so far.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Before you assume the worst, have it pressure tested and thoroughly checked. Coolant crossovers, water pump, heater hoses, etc. have all been mistaken for leaking head gaskets.