Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston I may have a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Houston I may have a problem...

So I decided to play it safe after missing 4th at the track the other night and finding 2nd instead, the car ran fine afterwards, no ticking, stubling or any other obvious effects. Took off the covers and rockers and after an initial inspection I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but it was during the reinstallation that I found this:

...not good. Anybody ever see a guide just slide out from under the spring like that? Obviously I'm looking at having to take the springs out at least for that cylinder and replace the guide and hope there was no more damage, any ideas on how this may have been caused aside from the high rpm?

EDIT: This pic was taken during installation, the rockers were not tightened and yes I'm aware the rocker tip is not aligned lol

Last edited by VTC_WS6; 11-22-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd pull the pushrods just to make sure you didn't bend anything...As to what might have caused that...Not sure, lol!

Did you use red locktite?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

I've already pulled the rockers and pushrods out, they're all fine, I discovered this as I was putting it back together actually.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks to me like you dont have a proper spring locater (just a flat shim). I think the spring may have walked out of its pocket on the over-rev potentially.

BUT.....why doesnt the rocker arm line up over the valvestem tip??

You need OD style spring locaters for a better situation keeping your springs in their correct perspective location.

Let us know about the bad rocker alignment....is it just loose?

Tony
Old 11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
It looks to me like you dont have a proper spring locater (just a flat shim). I think the spring may have walked out of its pocket on the over-rev potentially.

BUT.....why doesnt the rocker arm line up over the valvestem tip??

You need OD style spring locaters for a better situation keeping your springs in their correct perspective location.

Let us know about the bad rocker alignment....is it just loose?

Tony
Tony, I added an 'edit' to the bottom of the post, the rockers were still loose as I was just begining to install them

Looks like it was a little premature panicing on my part, turns out those pads slide right back into place with minimal effort (actually I discovered one other pad sliding out of place!), anyways I got it all back and lined eveything up, just fired it up and let it come up to temp and all appears well, whew! Thanks anways
Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Roger that Apollo but I think you may still have some issues to address for long term reliability and better valvetrain control....

You need OD style spring cups which locate precisely around the valve guide and then the springs neatly fit inside them so they cant "walk" at hight RPM.

You will have the same issue again even without a missed downshift. Springs either need an ID locater, an OD locater (what you need pictured below), or a deep enough pocket in the head which is close to the OD of the spring restricting movement (which you obviously dont have).

Pics should help....

At some point you should really take care of this

Good luck

Mission Control
Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who put that penny under your valvespring
Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Roger that Apollo but I think you may still have some issues to address for long term reliability and better valvetrain control....

You need OD style spring cups which locate precisely around the valve guide and then the springs neatly fit inside them so they cant "walk" at hight RPM.

You will have the same issue again even without a missed downshift. Springs either need an ID locater, an OD locater (what you need pictured below), or a deep enough pocket in the head which is close to the OD of the spring restricting movement (which you obviously dont have).

Pics should help....

At some point you should really take care of this

Good luck

Mission Control

Ahhh yes I see what you mean, it's literaly a cup that keeps the spring centered.. funny I wonder why TexasSpeed skimped on my heads