Sponsored by:

missed 3-4, ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missed 3-4, ticking

UPDATE

I just finished changing out the pushrods and the ticking noise is still there. it's a very fast paced ticking a pprrrr sound. I don't know what else could be the problem. It's really loud when I decelerate, and if i push in the clutch it goes away.

can u guys offer some suggestions of what it could be?
thank u in advance
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

k, so I searched and came to the conclusion that I probably bent a pushrod.

I was at the track and missed the 3-4 shift, lets just say my foot was faster with the clutch than my hand with the shifter. anyways I didn't notice anything after I missed it, but the run right after that I started to notice a ticking noise when I was slowing down. so now, I can faintly hear ticking when I accelerate. and I can really hear it ticking ( really loud high pitched prrrrrrr ) when I am slowing down, decelarating. If I push in the clutch though the sound goes away.

Last edited by WS6_00; 11-08-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a push rod. You probably bent them when you over revvd.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

Thumbs up +1

Originally Posted by Pharcyde50
Sounds like a push rod. You probably bent them when you over revvd.
just order a set of chrome moly pushrods and just drive the second car if u have one till u get it fixed its not worth driving around with a bent pushrod imo.. how many miles on the engine ?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why we upgrade our valvetrain...

If you are lucky, the pushrod is bent. If you are unlucky, potential broken spring is possible in your future, lifter damage... etc

Go grab some stockers from someone that's done a cam swap and put them in your car.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

I can't install the pushrods myself, I don't have the technical know-how. I will order some chrome moly pushrods and have a local shop do it I guess. Is there anything else I should upgrade while I'm doing the pushrods? springs? if so.. which. thanks for the replies guys.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6_00
I can't install the pushrods myself, I don't have the technical know-how. I will order some chrome moly pushrods and have a local shop do it I guess. Is there anything else I should upgrade while I'm doing the pushrods? springs? if so.. which. thanks for the replies guys.
You really shouldnt be racing if you cant replace the push rods in your car, just do a search figure it out and do it yourself, that way you can gain knowledge from your mistakes. Youll never know how to do anything till you do it.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

thats like saying you shouldn't use a computer unless u can build one.

I've been reading up on how to do it, Just haven't found the answers on how to put the rockers on, in the correct order, and turning the engine over to TDC or whatever I have to do for each one etc..

ok so all the threads I'm pulling up don't mention anything about top dead center. But I have a question. If I remove the rockers, will the springs come up with them?? revealing the pushrods? if so i'll try it myself.
Also, when torquing the rockers to 22ft/lbs. can I just unplug the plugs and injectors and turn the motor over like that to recheck the torque?

Last edited by WS6_00; 09-27-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6_00
thats like saying you shouldn't use a computer unless u can build one.
Agreed, stupid comment....
Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 AM
Teching In

Friend of mine just recently done this on his 29k miles LS1 Z28.... ended up bending 6 pushrods and also took a toll on the valves to, ended up having to takes his heads to a shop and get them worked also...
Hope yours aint this bad...
Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could get a set of roller rockers if you plan to put trickflows on the car in the future and they might free up a few rwhp.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:38 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think what was meant by the poster above is that you shouldn't race your car if you're unable to either pay to have it fixed when it breaks, or know how to do it yourself.

Breaking things is the price you pay for racing. It's a case of finding the weakest link most of the time, and drag racing will show what's the weakest link.

To change the pushrods, remove the coil packs, then the valve covers, then take the valve cover, flip it over, and take off the rocker arms placing them in the valve cover. Now the pushrods will come out.

If you are stock internals, there's no real reason to replace valve springs, but stay off the rev limiter because the limiter is hard on valvetrain parts. The rev limiter is to your valvetrain what wheel hop is to your drivetrain. It can kill it pretty quickly if you're not careful.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I think what was meant by the poster above is that you shouldn't race your car if you're unable to either pay to have it fixed when it breaks, or know how to do it yourself.

Breaking things is the price you pay for racing. It's a case of finding the weakest link most of the time, and drag racing will show what's the weakest link.

To change the pushrods, remove the coil packs, then the valve covers, then take the valve cover, flip it over, and take off the rocker arms placing them in the valve cover. Now the pushrods will come out.

If you are stock internals, there's no real reason to replace valve springs, but stay off the rev limiter because the limiter is hard on valvetrain parts. The rev limiter is to your valvetrain what wheel hop is to your drivetrain. It can kill it pretty quickly if you're not careful.
+1.......
Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

pm vettenuts im sure he will be able to help you out he knows all this valvetrain stuff.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

k, thanks for all the replies guys. I will try to attempt this since I don't have to touch the springs. once i get some probably stock pushrods then my car will be good to go. thanks again
Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

get a short shifter to crisp up the shifts,

and count your blessings its only a pushrod
Old 11-08-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

help please
Old 11-23-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

check the lifters maybe? When you pulled the valve covers, did you check that all the rockers are torqued to 22lbs? You can see if a lifter is collapsed by torquing the rockers to 22lbs and if after that there is still play in the rocker its probably a lifter.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Also when you did the pushrods, did you notice if any of the rocker arms whee damaged? Did you notice if any of the needle bearings in the rocker arms where missing? Any visual damage to the valve stems or springs.