Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Have a Hesitation or Vibration,Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I Have a Hesitation or Vibration,Please Help!

I'm not quite sure what to think is wrong with my car, but here's the run down.

I put a clutch in a 'friends' car and I let him use mine for 3 days. Well, I got his clutch in and I got mine back, kinda curious why he left in his car so fast, I get in mine about 15minutes later and OMG....3rd gear grinds, 4th gear grinds, 5th gear is non existant, its like an empty space but if you go up really far it grinds, and 6th gear grinds. So I'm on my way home, and at the stop sign I light them up hard first and second gear, then I hear a THUMP. I was like, oh ****, whats that, 4 blocks later I pull into my driveway thinking I broke a transmission mount, so I run inside and order a poly mount since my buddy was ordring from Jegs anyway, get it ordered just in time to avoid paying 10 bucks shipping. About an hour later after calming down (slightly) I go back out to the car, get it in the garage and get the car on jack stands. Well the tranny mount is just find but I broke the torque arm where it meets the differential. So I get it taken off, and realise my aluminum driveshaft hit a bolt at the top of the driveshaft tunnel making a 1/16" groove around the driveshaft. So I figure I'll get it rewelded and balanced in a couple days, but first I want to get the torque arm replaced. So two days later, I get a torque arm from a local guy and the poly tranny mount come in. Replaced both, took it for a quick spin to make sure all was in order (besides my broken T-56) And I noticed a vibration/hesitation. I was like, damn, now whats wrong!? so I replace all the plugs and wires. Now I amstill getting the same hesitation, then I get a code PO352 Ignition coil primary/secondary circuit malnfunction. So I get a new coil for cylinder #2, still get the same hesitation. Pull all the plugs and wires again, little bit of white on the end of each plug, nothings fouled, put it all back together, everything looks good, same hesitation though. So now I pull the valve covers to check for bent pushrods or broken springs. All the pushrods roll smooth and all of the valve springs look ok. They are the PRC dual valve springs with titanium retainers so its kinda hard to see the inner spring. So then I put it back together again, still have the same problem, only now I am having a code for a generator circuit malnfunction. So I replace the alternator again (lifetime warranty from Oreillys, Yay!) now I'm getting no codes and I still have this damn vibration. Could it be the transmission? The car feels like it has gobs and gobs of power, but there's this hesitation/vibration. I tried pulling 1 plug wire at a time off and I cant notice a difference in how it idles, besides that its very loud. Now I have taken a plug wire and plug and tested every coil and they are all firing. Something I have noticed is I hear air around the intake manifold, Its the LS6 intake manifold, so I dont know if its just the air pulling through the manifold or what, but I did take some starterfluid and sprayed it all around it and under it and I had no idle change.

So with all this being stated, what do you guys think?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Forgot to mention but I also replaced the fuel filter
Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the torque arm adjustable & what is your pinion angle?? That could be part of the vibration since your not getting any codes. Could also be something clutch/flywheel related since your "buddy" obviously beat the **** outta your car.

For the hesitation, since you already replaced the plugs/wires & fuel filter I'd suggest looking at the fuel pump, cleaning the MAF, & injectors. Your pump could very well be on it's way out & not giving you enough pressure to the rails & injectors. You could pick up a fuel pressure gauge for pretty cheap to put on the end of the stock fuel rail to see if it's getting proper pressure.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Your buddy screwd u .
Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you forgot to mention the part where you beat your buddies face in (i'm hoping anyways) did you ever get that driveshaft fixed and re-balanced??? that could be your vibration, as for hesitation check to see if your throttle body doesn't get jammed up when oppening your butterfly door (just happened to me cleaned it and knock on wood it's better) and check to see the condition of the maf maybe you need to clean it... as for the air around the manifold since it didn't change the idle perhaps it's blowing air out check that out... and spray behind it to see if the vacuum hose has a leak or your map sensor is sucking in air
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

I have no idea how to check th pinion angle, its still the stock torque arm

Fuel pressure was tested and it was around 60PSI constantly

Its not the drive shaft, when I push the clutch in, and take strain off the motor, there's no vibration. When the clutch is pushed in, and I rev it, I can feel the vibration. I cleaned MAF. Even before I cleaned it, it looked clean.

No, I didnt beat the hell out of the guy, I just dont associate with him anymore. He's the type of person that would get his *** beat and come back at you with a gun, and I have a wife and 2 young children, I dont need that **** around my house. He knows he fucked me over, he knows were no longer 'friends' He doesnt call or come around anymore. He knew he fucked up the day he dropped my car off, thats why he was in such a hurry to leave. He doesnt answer my calls so, I am just chalking it up to a lesson learned and I will NEVER let anyone drive my car again. It was stupid of me to trust him with my car...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might try pulling the belts off the engine (water pump and ac) and then start it to check for the vibration. If the vibration is gone, put the ac belt back on and start it again. If the vibration is still gone, you have a problem with the water pump, power steering, tensioner pulley or idler pulley.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Try putting your stock tranny mount back on. If the new one is not the exact same height it will cause a pretty nasty vibration. I have an adjustable torque arm and all the pinion adjustments in the world wouldn't stop the vibration. I had to shim my poly mount an 1/8 of an inch to match the stock one and the problem was solved.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

I'll pull the belts off and put the stock mount back on tomorrow and see what happpens. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Try putting your stock tranny mount back on. If the new one is not the exact same height it will cause a pretty nasty vibration. I have an adjustable torque arm and all the pinion adjustments in the world wouldn't stop the vibration. I had to shim my poly mount an 1/8 of an inch to match the stock one and the problem was solved.
Thats weird cause I swapped a poly in & have no vibration.

So you say the vibration goes away with the clutch pushed in but comes back when you rev it even with the clutch still pushed in??

It could be a slightly unbalanced flywheel or pressure plate. Or since it comes back even with the clutch pushed in while reving it you might need to replace the motor mounts. Do you get excessive engine movement when reving it?? If your motor mounts are worn & need replacing they will cause vibration & it will be RPM related somewhat. Could possibly be showing its ugly head since you replaced the tranny mount too.

Check your motor mounts very closely & see what you find there also. He could have busted a already worn motor mount with the abuse he put the car thru.