Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reluctor Wheel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reluctor Wheel Removal

What are you guys doing when you remove the reluctor wheel? How does the engine react to this? Can you continue to use the stock PCM? Im lost in every way except why you would remove it. So any help would be appreciated. Again main concerns, Once removed what reads timing? Is that all it reads? Can you uses stock PCM if removed? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999TransamWs6
What are you guys doing when you remove the reluctor wheel? How does the engine react to this? Can you continue to use the stock PCM? Im lost in every way except why you would remove it. So any help would be appreciated. Again main concerns, Once removed what reads timing? Is that all it reads? Can you uses stock PCM if removed? Thanks.
Where'd you get that idea? Why would you remove it? The engine will never run w/o it, even carb'ed it needs the signal.

Russ
Old 12-13-2008, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

With the reluctor wheel it comes in contact with aftermarket pistons. I was explained by diamond that if I removed it they could make an even skirt around the entire piston instead of a flat spot on each side where the pin goes through. I guess I am incorrect? Dont know this is what Diamond told me. Maybe they are wrong.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:28 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

The reluctor is how the ECM reads crank position, which is vital to engine operation. Aftermarket systems use a reluctor on the balancer, but I don't know if that will work with a stock computer. The other option is to run a distributor.

I don't know about Diamond, but Wiseco, JE, Mahle, and CP pistons don't seem to have any problems designing a piston to clear the reluctor.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

^^X2..

I'm running Mahle Pistons in my 402 with 6.125" Rods without a problem..

You need that Reluctor Wheel..kinda important..
Old 12-13-2008, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

With the reluctor wheel it comes in contact with aftermarket pistons. I was explained by diamond that if I removed it they could make an even skirt around the entire piston instead of a flat spot on each side where the pin goes through. I guess I am incorrect? Dont know this is what Diamond told me. Maybe they are wrong.
What you are saying makes no sense, unless the skirt comes so low it hits the wheel. Look where the reluctor wheel is in this photo:

The original post is here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...fo-inside.html

--JMarsa
Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
The reluctor is how the ECM reads crank position, which is vital to engine operation. Aftermarket systems use a reluctor on the balancer, but I don't know if that will work with a stock computer. The other option is to run a distributor.

I don't know about Diamond, but Wiseco, JE, Mahle, and CP pistons don't seem to have any problems designing a piston to clear the reluctor.
I must assume this is what they wanted me to do. They didnt have an issue making a Piston to clear the reluctor they just mentioned they could make a "better" piston if it was removed. You know how they mill a section of the piston away on the skirt to make clearance for the reluctor wheel? I guess they think it would be better if that section was still there and the entire piston was round at the skirt instead of milled away. Like I said Im not sure, this is just what they said to me.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmarsa
What you are saying makes no sense, unless the skirt comes so low it hits the wheel. Look where the reluctor wheel is in this photo:

The original post is here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...fo-inside.html

--JMarsa
I didnt clarify myself correctly in my second post. What I ment was if the skirt of the piston was entirely round instead of milled away it would come in contact with the reluctor wheel and Diamond feels that the pistons are better with a round skirt compaired to one that has been milled or "flat" in this area.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:40 AM
KCS

I must assume this is what they wanted me to do. They didnt have an issue making a Piston to clear the reluctor they just mentioned they could make a "better" piston if it was removed. You know how they mill a section of the piston away on the skirt to make clearance for the reluctor wheel? I guess they think it would be better if that section was still there and the entire piston was round at the skirt instead of milled away. Like I said Im not sure, this is just what they said to me.
I got what you're saying. Diamond thinks this type of skirt:

isn't as good as this type of skirt:

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I have seen 900hp naturally aspirated 427 C5R's use the skirt like in picture #1 (and no reluctor wheel). I have also seen 2000hp turbo LSX engines (again, no reluctor wheels) with skirts like in picture #1. But I have seen heavy ""strutted" skirt pistons, like in picture #2, in lower power BBC Chevy and Viper engines. I really haven't looked into this, but all I can tell you is the trend I have seen. The better engines seem to use the "slipper" skirts.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
I got what you're saying. Diamond thinks this type of skirt:

isn't as good as this type of skirt:

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I have seen 900hp naturally aspirated 427 C5R's use the skirt like in picture #1 (and no reluctor wheel). I have also seen 2000hp turbo LSX engines (again, no reluctor wheels) with skirts like in picture #1. But I have seen heavy ""strutted" skirt pistons, like in picture #2, in lower power BBC Chevy and Viper engines. I really haven't looked into this, but all I can tell you is the trend I have seen. The better engines seem to use the "slipper" skirts.
You are exactly correct. I guess Ill just do some research. Seems like it would be pointless to ge through the trouble though.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was with him when the diamond tech told him this. I think he said he relocated it but I'm not 100% sure on this. And he knew what he was talking about so if you have no knowledge on the subject I wouldn't be so quick to call BS or call someone who does this for a living a dumbass.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
...And he knew what he was talking about so if you have no knowledge on the subject I wouldn't be so quick to call BS or call someone who does this for a living a dumbass.
Hmmm, I re-read all of the posts above and never saw anyone call anyone else a dumbass? But I'm old, so maybe I'm missing something... Aside from all that, rest assured his engine will not run without a reluctor wheel, so stepping up the the "best piston in the world" will be of little help if there's no hope of ever getting it to run.

Russ
Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 PM
KCS

I was with him when the diamond tech told him this. I think he said he relocated it but I'm not 100% sure on this. And he knew what he was talking about so if you have no knowledge on the subject I wouldn't be so quick to call BS or call someone who does this for a living a dumbass.
Same goes for you too.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Same goes for you too.
I wasn't aware that you were there and heard the conversation. And I fail to see where I claimed to know something that I don't or called BS on something I have no experience with. All that I was stating was that 1999transamws6 heard correctly about moving the reluctor wheel.

And for the record that post wasn't directed towards you since you provided some factual information instead of a useless post to increase your post count.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 PM
KCS

I wasn't aware that you were there and heard the conversation. And I fail to see where I claimed to know something that I don't or called BS on something I have no experience with. All that I was stating was that 1999transamws6 heard correctly about moving the reluctor wheel.

And for the record that post wasn't directed towards you since you provided some factual information instead of a useless post to increase your post count.

You don't come in here acting the way you did.

No one called anyone a dumbass or anything insulting for that matter. It seems neither of you really even know what the "tech guy" was saying, so I would just take what people say in here and be happy. If you think we are so unknowledgeable, you can call that diamond tech guy back for clarification.

Quick Reply: Reluctor Wheel Removal