Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to replace my oil pressure sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to replace my oil pressure sending unit

I have an LS6 in my 04 GTO. I need to replace the oil pressure sending unit. I do have the unit, but need to know where it goes on the block and what I need to replace it.

Does anyone have any pictures? Advice? Know what socket size I need?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 AM
Launching!

The sensor goes behind the intake manifold towards the drivers side of the car, I don't know about GTOs but on an F-body theres no room to do it with the intake manifold on. Also theres a special oil pressure sending unit socket that fits over the whole unit when you are installing it. You can usually rent one at an autozone.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^This guy beat me to it
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Nice pic, they always help alot. That is it right there but I can not remember what size it was.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This should basically outline all of the steps you need to follow to remove and reinstall the intake:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

Just be sure to be VERY careful when reinstalling the intake that the brake booster hose clears the sensor and does not snap it in two. What I do is when putting the intake on, I hold it with one hand on the front and one holding the hose so that I can feel with my fingers where the sensor is and be sure that I lift the hose up high enough.

You'll need a oil pressure sensor socket. Sometimes you actually have to file the sensor a little to get the socket to slide on all the way. Good luck man.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** that sensor....all I have to contribute. It is a pain..when I took my manifold off, it snapped so easily. We were careful when we got the mani back on though, and so now it works. I was just worried about breaking the damn thing everytime, and at $70 a piece, it can add up.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
This should basically outline all of the steps you need to follow to remove and reinstall the intake:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

Good luck man.
LILGTOGURL..

They've given great advice. We took a regular socket, cut it in half, then extended it with a peice of steel stock. lol. Requires welding, cutting wheel and material. LMFAO BADCHAD for makeing that ****. Good luck keep us posted if you have any questions let us know.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For mine, I just brought my new one in to sears, and found a big *** socket that will fit over it. I forgot the size, but I just bought a normal deep well (well....deep *** deep well lol), and it worked great.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

AZ carries a oil pressure sensor socket.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
AZ carries a oil pressure sensor socket.
So does NAPA!! And while your picking up the sensor socket get a sensor there too. Definately not $70.00. They look just like a regular deep well socket except it will have very thin walls. And when you get ready to change it if you have the correct socket YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO PULL OFF THE INTAKE!!!! Just lay a quilt across the top of the motor and crawl of top and change it! The only other tools I used to change mine was a mirror on a handle. I don't know why everybody hollars take off the intake. Its a total waste of good time and usually breaks something else in the process.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC98Z
So does NAPA!! And while your picking up the sensor socket get a sensor there too. Definately not $70.00. They look just like a regular deep well socket except it will have very thin walls. And when you get ready to change it if you have the correct socket YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO PULL OFF THE INTAKE!!!! Just lay a quilt across the top of the motor and crawl of top and change it! The only other tools I used to change mine was a mirror on a handle. I don't know why everybody hollars take off the intake. Its a total waste of good time and usually breaks something else in the process.
I'm 6'3'' 270, I wouldn't dare crawl on my ****...lol

Quick Reply: need to replace my oil pressure sending unit