Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

free heads that need repaired, or another route?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default free heads that need repaired, or another route?

tried to do a few searches and couldnt come up with what i was looking for....anyway, i am gearing up to do a heads and cam swap....i got a buddy that is offering me a set of nicely ported ls6 heads, but one cylinder leaks??? we cannot find a crack in it at all by just looking so its gotta be something small??? anyway, how reliable can a fix be for this? or should i just bite the bullet and look for some other heads? thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

it all depends on what the leak is.

take it to a shop and have them magnaflux the heads to look for cracks.

could be a simple fix.

and where exactly do the "leak"
Old 03-20-2009, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

sounds good....how would they fix it if it so tiny you cant see or feel it with hands or eyes? either way im hoping for the cheap fix...do you think it will be reliable once fixed, just running a weekend warrior car, on the street, 450 hp tops when done? he said when he pulled them off the #6 cylinder was filled with fluid????
Old 03-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

cannot magnaflux aluminum....but yes a shop can pressure test the heads for leaks. It should be quite easy to have them Heliarc welded up ...less than $100 around here. Pressure test is about $40
The heliarc welded repair will be fine as far as reliability....heck if the cylinder was full of water it could be the head gasket and the head may not even be cracked. Pressure check will tell ya.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

great to hear, im picking them up this weekend, cant wait to find out whats up with them!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a premium head or an OEM head that has been ported?
You could be giving yourself a bigger headache than its worth. Why repair junk to begin with? Not enough info here to make a sound decision.

Why spend 150-200 to repair junk?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

it is a oem ls6 head that has some porting work done to it....they are good clean heads and free!!!! yes i know it could add up to $200 real soon, but that still under any heads that i have found on here that are worked...i cant either find stockers or something that is a "premium" head over $650...which is good prices for the heads, but i am on a budget man....the cam and head swap down to the gaskets adds up....if they are not reliable or sketchy once at the shop i will not use them, but if i can fix them for $200 or under and have a great set of ported ls6 heads with new components, i feel its worth it...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not just money. What if the head breaks and drops chunks into the piston and takes out the bottom end?
You can find LS6 heads for dirt cheap and clean them up yourself if you want but I would be leery of putting a known bad head on your car. You find and repair one crack, who's to say another isn't waiting to form and break this time instead of just cracking.

If it were a premium head then it might be worth the risk, but I'd be cautious on putting something on top that could take out the short block. Just something to think about.. the bigger picture.

I'm not trying to sell you anything at all here...LOL, just trying to help you see what all could happen. There is more to think about besides the cost to repair the head.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

i really appreciate the advice and the opinion....and im not taking it as you pushing a product you have valid points...and i am going to be pushing 450hp hopefully....and a ms4 cam!!!! i think i will have the head looked at, like posted above, we cant see the crack anyway, the head may be good.....but as far as finding some ls6 heads dirt cheap, point me in that direction, i cant and havent been able to find any, lol....