Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Tips to Tell My H/C Installer Before Starting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Tips to Tell My H/C Installer Before Starting?

Don't get me wrong, this guy is a sound mechanic, but I don't know that he has gone internal on many LS1's. He's been in the game a long time and works on GM primarily, so I'm not worried.

If you have had "experiences" with the H/C swap, and would like to prevent me from having one, please indulge...thanks.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Any Tips to Tell My H/C Installer Before Starting?

tell him to go to ls1howto.com and get the article on the swap. it has some usefull information like torque sequence and how to torque factory style head bolts etc. Tell him that there are 2 bolts on the back of each head with different things connected, the main ones to be concerned about are the ones on the drivers side because the 2 bolts hold down a couple of ground wires. If he hasn't worked on newer vehicled then tell him to just coat the cam in oil and DO NOT coat it in assembly lube, I've seen this done that's why I'm tellin ya. Also if installing a oil pump or timing chain he will need to drop the oil pan about a 1/2 inch. Back of the intake has 2 vacuum hoses and an electrical connector. Anywho, most of this information can be found on the ls1howto website as well.

-Sly
Old 10-20-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks to me like you are worried. If I didn't do my own work, I would want the person working on my car to have lot's of experience working on LS1's and not just be a sound mechanic. There are lots of things different on LS1's. I've been working on cars for over 30 years and there are lots of things I had to learn to do different on these cars than the way we did things on the old school cars. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:58 AM
TECH Resident

Tell him this; "You fu$k-up my car, I will kill you!!" A motivational speech like that should help keep him on track and make sure he does an excellent job.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Two words: "Get magnets". It's make the cam swap much less stressful. They will keep lifters from dropping into the pan when the stick comes out. Oh yeah, another thing...take your time. It's a fairly straightforward swap.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

personally, if he doesn't have an experience doing and LS1 H/C swap, then he is no better than you. Save the ca$h, get some friends (you can't be the only LS1 guy in your area) and do it yourself. Even after you suppply the food and refreshments for your weary helpers, you'll have saved hundred$ and you'll fell better knowing it was done correctly, and by yourself!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ls1's a different breed than a reg sbc my friend, STUDY ls1howto.com, you wont be sorry!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, some good opinions here. I went with this guy because he is known to be reputable for street rods/drag cars modding. I am a doof mechanically (hey at least I'm honest!)so that's why I need the help. Also, I haven't hung out with any LS1ers out here, we're a few and far in between so I have no one to hit up for the install. A lot of Ford clubs down here.

Well, I will print the LS1-howto and leave it with "Mike," hoping that he will read it if he isn't sure about something. I will also print the responses in this thread. WIsh me luck guys, feel free to add more to the list.

Ok, now I'm nervous....
Old 10-21-2003, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

the ls1's a different breed than a reg sbc my friend, STUDY ls1howto.com, you wont be sorry!
If I leave this with Mike, is it an insult? Is it like giving a surgeon an anatomy chart before an operation?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

If I leave this with Mike, is it an insult? Is it like giving a surgeon an anatomy chart before an operation?
Just tell him, your suppling the torque sequence and values for the install.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Just tell him, your suppling the torque sequence and values for the install.
Great great answer. Thanks.