Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

losing oil pressure?? any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing oil pressure?? any suggestions?

ok, i just finished installing a cam along with all the bolt ons, on my 98 z.... with 75,000 miles, i decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and put valve springs, push rods, etc., and i installed a NEW MILAN oil pump... after the start, the oil pressure was fine... we began to go ahead and start tuning the car... so we tuned on it, took it up the road, everything was fine, as well as the next two trips, but the last trip while sittin at a red light, the oil pressure dropped to around 24 to 28 pnds..???? u can give the car gas and the op rises, almost to normal... we let it set n get cold, and oil pressure stayed up to the car got to temperature and began to drop..??? gauges show the same pressure as the gauge on the car, so the gauge isnt bad... what do u think it could be: *screen collapsed in the oil pan, *bad oil pump, *o ring, *main barings, im goin to drop the pan in the mornin but please leave me any suggestions you may have... thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think 24-28lbs at idle will hurt anything. I'd say it's the o-ring since you just had your hands on it.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Teching In

i didnt think it would either, but i was just curious cause the car was at temperature the first 3 pulls and it held around between around 35 at idle... but u can let the car sit, and let the temperature fall, and start it up, and it will hold 35 plus, but when the car get ups to temperature u can watch it fall down to the low 20s... im gonna pull the pan and check the screen, and i changed the o ring when i installed the new pump.. but anythings possible...
Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well.... what did it idle before the change... never heard of a Milan OP.....
Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

the first couple of drives after a the tuning, the idle at temperature, was between 35 and 40lbs. milan, (not for sure on the splng) has a good name on there products, but thats what weve always went with... thats the first one ive seen do that on the op.. we tuned a TA today and his op stayed right aorund 38 lbs at idle..
Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Teching In

its a melling, oil pump... dont know why i sad milan, had a brainfart i guess..
Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. Everyone told me I would not hurt anything with 20psi at idle. I haven't tried to fix it, but it is really starting to bug me. Please post up how you resolve your problem.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Teching In

im gonna tear into it tomorrow, im just gathering a little more advice and see if ne one else has had ne issues like this... but ill repost as soon as it gets resolved...
Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool, thanks.. Hope you don't run into any problems.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put my money on the oring getting hurt. If you did this work in the car, and used a double roller chain with the spacers behind the pump, it is very easy to hurt the o-ring. You are thinking correctly to go back into it to check everything. when you do a cam swap and or change the pump, I would expect to see the same oil pressure at idle as I had with the old pump. It might go up some with a pump swap but if it dropps with a pump swap I would be very alarmed. Think about it, you swap out a stock pump for a new, high volume or high pressure pump, there is no reason it should be fine for the pressure on the new pump to drop as compared to the old. Same goes for if you do a cam swap and you use the same pump, why would the pressure drop? The only answer in both cases is something is not right. I would say go into it and find the minor problem before you find a bigger one. Good luck, I bet it is something symple.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonsz28
its a melling, oil pump... dont know why i sad milan, had a brainfart i guess..
Haha......yea Melling is the schizznit I run a 10296.

Agreed best bet it is the O-ring. Sometimes it will cause a ticking because the oil gets aereoated.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

o-ring or loose bolt holding pickup tube, thus when heated up the thinner oil causes pressure loss.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Have your oil temps increased since the swap?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Teching In

guys thanks for all the help... i went back through the whole setup... found no problems, so i decided to run it, i knew id show up... finally the oil pressure began to decrease more and more, thank god, lol, then i notiiced the motor began to try n seize up, so ive came to the conclusion of it being a 98 model, the rods bolts have stretched and giving the beariing a little slack and letting it overlap the other bearing bout 1/8 of an inch and not giving the engine ne choice but to tighten up... so now the motors tore down, getting the block work lined and n replacing everything with a 383 from tsp... thanks guys for the suggestions...