Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI changed, now need resleeved block for under $2k.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MTI changed, now need resleeved block for under $2k.

Been planning on this project for this upcoming winter for a while. However, I called MTI today and they informed me that they are changing their resleeving process. The guy on the phone said they are going to a wet sleeve setup in about a month, away from their dry setup. He said this was going to be roughly $600 more than their old blocks, which were at $1995 for a 4.110 bored block.

I called some other shops/sponsors around and most say they buy thier blocks straight from Darton, and the prices were way more than the old $1995 block from MTI as well.

I even asked if they had any stock left over with the dry setups, and he said no.

So my question is, does anyone know of a place who produces blocks for less than the full out Darton wet costs? This engine will be a N/A monster, as it's an open track/auto-x car, only drag racing for fun on the weekends. It wont see a power adder at all.

Any help would be appreciated. Glad to make my first post!

-Kyle
Old 10-23-2003, 05:29 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Default Re: MTI changed, now need resleeved block for under $2k.

Ya know, if MTI is changing their sleeving process, it's probably for a good reason. Spend the extra $600, MTI has built so many resleeved motors in their time so I'd have to assume they are doing all this for a good reason.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, MTI hasn't posted anything about this change yet. I hope the dry setups are still holding up well.

Can anyone from MTI here confirm this info and if true, what's the reason for the change?
Old 10-23-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

TTT
Old 10-23-2003, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

jmX, I would spend the extra $600 if I wasn't trying to do such a budget buildup like this. Plus, I have heard of many people with the resleeved blocks from MTI holding up just great.

However, it would be nice to know why they are changing. I'm sure Cannibal would like to know also.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Little bumpity bump since the board went down last night.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

MTI is changing their process because they ordered a big-dollah CNC machine to do the block work. Up until now, they were using a semi-manual piece of equipment and had a machinist doing each sleeve one at a time by hand. The new CNC machine should arrive in a couple weeks, and they will begin using the Darton wet sleeve kits. For the additional money, it will be far worth the strength and reliability the Darton sleeves offer. So, the old block equipment is retired, and the fancy CNC one is about to fire up.

Tony
Old 10-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Check with Speed Inc. I thought I saw a resleeved block for around $2k on their website.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Its $1995.00 exchange.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Up until now, they were using a semi-manual piece of equipment and had a machinist doing each sleeve one at a time by hand.
The whole idea on going with an automated solution is to lower the cost of the product, not increase it. If it was cheaper to use the human component, why go to a full automated setup???!?!?!!
Old 10-24-2003, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

So both MTI and LPE are now producing only Darton wet blocks...

This vendor also does them for $2,300 plus core...

http://www.strokerkits.com/darton_sleeves.htm
Old 10-24-2003, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might think of ordering the 6.0L bock from SDPC. The blocks are new cast iron ones straight from GM. They are a little heavier and come with only a 4.00" bore but you can have it punched out an easy .040 and use a the rest of your 5.7L parts in it(except pistons and rings of course). These blocks are extremly strong and should last for a very long time. I think with the standard stroke crank and the bore you should wind up with about 371 ci. The blocks are only about $650. That should be about 15 ci less then what you were looking for. Maybye then put a 4.0" crank in it and make 400 ci or a litte more. Lets see, total price would be about:
$1500 for inexpensive calies crank
$650 for cast iron 4.00" bore block.
$2150 FOR 400 ci and stronger longer lasting foundation, but about 150 pounds extra on front of engine.

Thats my two cents. If I was looking to only make less then 410 ci I would go with the cast iron block and a 4" stroke crank.

Good luck!!
Old 10-24-2003, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Texas_WS6, thanks for the advice. If the car was going to be a drag race only car I wouldn't ever have even looked at the aluminum. The only problem is, my main love is autocross and road racing, only drag racing for fun on the weekends, so I can't afford to add the 70 pounds with the iron block, when I'm cutting out carpet in the back to try and save a couple pounds.

antta99, I will also call up Speed Inc. and talk to them about their blocks, I'll see what they say.

Thanks for the advice, we will see what happens.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

I'd wait a couple of weeks before making a decison....who knows there may be a 6.0 aluminum block in gm's lineup. And if we are lucky it might be backwards compatible w/ gen III components.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
MTI is changing their process because they ordered a big-dollah CNC machine to do the block work. Up until now, they were using a semi-manual piece of equipment and had a machinist doing each sleeve one at a time by hand. The new CNC machine should arrive in a couple weeks, and they will begin using the Darton wet sleeve kits. For the additional money, it will be far worth the strength and reliability the Darton sleeves offer. So, the old block equipment is retired, and the fancy CNC one is about to fire up.

Tony
Could one send they're resleeved block back in to have these new sleeves put in? Has the Darton Wet sleeve setup been proven to be just as/more effective than the dry sleeved setup?

I'm about to just buy a C5R block and put my worries to rest.

Last edited by CANNIBAL; 10-24-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Hopefully the new block is backwards compatible, but Ill bet that it will be really expensive to buy at first.Sorta like the LS6 heads when they first appeared.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

The whole idea on going with an automated solution is to lower the cost of the product, not increase it. If it was cheaper to use the human component, why go to a full automated setup?
The whole point of going to CNC had nothing to do with lowering the cost. It had everything to do with increasing tolerances, reducing warranty work, and improving production rates. You are not considering overhead costs, and those CNC block machines are not cheap. Over time, yes the prices should drop. The main increase in prices are from the purchase of the Darton sleeves themselves, which are about $600 more a set compared to their current sleeves.

Levi, I'm not sure if sleeved blocks can be re-done with Darton sleeves. I'm not sure if the material cut away for the dry sleeves is required for the wet sleeves. You might call Darton to ask that.

Tony
Old 10-24-2003, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

The cost of the LPE Darton wet aluminum re-sleeved block is around $3K, add the core of $600, the finish bore and hone, shipping, etc. and you are around $4K.

This compared to $6K for the new C5R.

What is the price of the MTI Darton wet block including finish honing?

Didn't Augustino Racing (???) sell dry re-sleeved blocks for around $2K. plus core? Apparently, they are no longer an LS1Tech sponsor.

The Gen 3 iron block 6 Liter can't be bored more than 30,000 without sonic checking the casting... most blocks fail but some can be bored 40K over...
Old 10-24-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
The cost of the LPE Darton wet aluminum re-sleeved block is around $3K, add the core of $600, the finish bore and hone, shipping, etc. and you are around $4K.
Have they tested these yet? If so, what are the long term results thus far?

This compared to $6K for the new C5R.
This is begining to sound like the only way to go, IMO. For a worry free scenario in regards to sleeves, etc. No sleeves = best all around.

Didn't Augustino Racing (???) sell dry re-sleeved blocks for around $2K. plus core? Apparently, they are no longer an LS1Tech sponsor.
I thought they sold them. I'm almost positive they did. I had no idea that they are no longer a sponsor. What happened?
Old 10-24-2003, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I had no idea that they (Agostino) are no longer a sponsor. What happened?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/107552-delete-if-needed-but-what-happened.html