Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My cam package - help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My cam package - help

I have done a lot of research, talked to many of the sponsors, and read many of the stickies. However, a lot of the information I have read is over my head and in need of a bit of help. I am in the process of building my mild cam package for my '99 camaro. It already has full bolt ons (LTs, ls6 intake, etc) for the cam setup. I am currently spraying a 125 dry shot with supporting fuel system.

Here is what I have come up with:

TR 224/224 on 112 LSA
Patriot Extreme Dual valve springs
Ti Retainers
7.4 Hardened Pushrods
Valve Stem Seals
LS6 Oil pump (may have it ported and polished)
LS7 lifters
Replacement lifter trays
LS2 timing chain

Setup will be professionally installed and tuned. Car has 70k miles and is an A4. The factory heads will remain with this setup.

Could someone give me some advice on this setup? This car hardly sees the strip and is mainly a street car. Hardly ever spray it. I drive the car about 1000 miles a year so fuel mileage isn't a concern. However, I do want something reliable, strong, good idle quality, and something that sounds really good. With that being said, I'm not necessarily looking to make the most power, but I would like something that has a nice lope that will get attention. Is this the setup I want or is there something better? Am I missing anything? Should I go bigger? Help!

I originally did not want to stall the car but am told that I will have to. Is this necessary?

Last edited by LS1Fury!; 04-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice selection of parts.

Fyi, to change the lifters and trays the heads have to come off so you can put on some new heads without any more labor cost. And if you get some nice CNC'd budget heads they will come with new valves, springs, seals & retainers as part of the package. Just giving you some options.

These are pretty popular, I'm thinking about getting them myself:
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=20
Old 04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by massls1guy
Nice selection of parts.

Fyi, to change the lifters and trays the heads have to come off so you can put on some new heads without any more labor cost. And if you get some nice CNC'd budget heads they will come with new valves, springs, seals & retainers as part of the package. Just giving you some options.

These are pretty popular, I'm thinking about getting them myself:
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=20
Thanks for the heads up but the heads will remain stock for the time being.

Any opinions, help, or advice out there?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get some aftermarket rockers if you want added reliability. I'd go with Yella Terra or Harland Sharp 1.7:1 ratio. As far as anything else...possibly a LS2 timing chain set or a double roll-master setup will do. These two mods are definitely added precautions, that are in the long run, rather cheap.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Launching!

I will agree that replacing the stock lifter trays is a nice upgrade. Going with the LS2 trays are better because they prevent any lifters from rotating at high rpm's. All in all, a good assortment of parts.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002 SS HUGG
I'd get some aftermarket rockers if you want added reliability. I'd go with Yella Terra or Harland Sharp 1.7:1 ratio. As far as anything else...possibly a LS2 timing chain set or a double roll-master setup will do. These two mods are definitely added precautions, that are in the long run, rather cheap.
I actually meant to include the LS2 timing chain. That is also a must on my list. I'm assuming the stock timing cover is fine with an ls2 timing chain? I see a lot of sponsors selling the two as a package and wasn't sure if I'd need one or not.

How much power can the stock rockers support? I considered adding rockers since I will be replacing the trays and lifters but for the price of rockers, I wasn't sure if they were completely necessary on just a 224 cam.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you need aftermarket rockers for a TR224 with GM heads. I put my TR224 in at about 110k miles and I'm close to 142k miles now, still on original stock rockers.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Yea...a 224 cam really isn't too much to worry about...as far as strain on the valvetrain components. Your 224 cam doesn't have much lift on it which is better for your valvetrain. I think you'll be alright with the stock rocker arms but personally I'm getting Harland Sharp rockers for my TSP Torquer V.2 (232/234) .595/.598. Granted, I'm not rich by any means but I'm not cutting any corners when I do my cam and heads install...even getting copper head gaskets for the swap. lol

Last edited by 2002 SS HUGG; 04-07-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Launching!

And yes, I believe the LS2 timing chain will fit right under that factory timing chain cover. People that get double roller timing sets sometimes have problems but I think you'll be fine.