Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR New LS1 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AFR New LS1 Heads

I just noticed in a GMHTP magazine that Air Flow Research has made a new casting of the LS1 and LS6 heads. The Mongoose Street Head features a 205cc intake port, 2.02" Intake Valve, 1.60" Exhaust, with a CNC flow rating of 300cfm @ .600" lift on the intake and 230cfm on the exhaust. It also available in two different chamber sizes for High CR or boost. This looks like a great street head. The strip head looks even better for large CID. Is anyone in line to get one of these two heads? I would like to know what is the all-out porting would do to these heads.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a discussion about their heads here. Tbyrne is taking preorders, but not a lot of into is known about them so far. Here is thier webstie if you want some more info http://www.airflowresearch.com/
Old 10-26-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Why do they have do give it a gay sounding name like "mongoose" lol?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

A Mongoose can kill a Cobra fairly easily. Seems like a good fitting name to me.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

In most cases it takes a small pack of mongeese (I believe this is the plural) to kill a single cobra. It's a fairly involved process where several mongeese usually die.
I always woke up too late for cartoons as a child.When they were over all that was on was "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" type shows. I watched way too many nature shows when I was a kid The mongoose was one of my favorite animals.

Anyway...

I think they did it because people think a mongoose can kill a cobra.

This month's Car Craft has them in their little advertising section. They didn't mention the name though.

I can tell you I am not even considering ported stockers until I get some information on these heads. AFR has a history of making some of the best heads in the business. I have high hopes for these!

Last edited by lerajie; 10-26-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=lerajie]In most cases it takes a small pack of mongeese (I believe this is the plural) to kill a single cobra. It's a fairly involved process where several mongeese usually die.
I always woke up too late for cartoons as a child.When they were over all that was on was "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" type shows. I watched way too many nature shows when I was a kid The mongoose was one of my favorite animals.

Anyway...

I think they did it because people think a mongoose can kill a cobra.
[QUOTE]

According to various folks, a single fully grown mongoose has a 98% success rate in a fight to the death with a mature King Cobra.

I know it is off topic, but when I was a Marine I visited the Far East and saw a number of these fights. The mongoose is a killing machine. If the mongoose lost (which was rare), it was generally due to the mongoose not actually being a mongoose, but being replaced with a ratel (another small mammal that looks pretty similar), being an immature animal or being drugged. To even things up, a viper would be used occasionally, which makes the job that much tougher for the mongoose (vipers are quicker than cobras).

Cobras can only strike downward and cannot strike from side to side. The overgrown rat knows this and will dodge side to side to avoid strikes or stay at the limit of the cobra's range and tire the cobra out. Once the snake gets tired, it's all over. I used to think cats were quick (and they are) but a mongoose is on another level entirely. They bounce side to side and feint in and out like Muhammed Ali on fast forward. They're literally little hyperactive ***** of fur that move so fast your mind questions what it is seeing.

Oh well...

I hope the AFR heads kick ***.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

ROTF!!!!!!!!!! How in the hell did a discussion about heads go into a VERY detailed discussion about killing snakes????????? LOL

I would really like to see the flow numbers of these heads, stage 2 LS6 and stage 2 LS1 heads compared.

Josh S.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

hahahaha
Old 10-27-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=PacerX]
According to various folks, a single fully grown mongoose has a 98% success rate in a fight to the death with a mature King Cobra.
QUOTE]

First thing (yeah I know it's hellishly off topic but whatever) but I seriously doubt a mongoose would stand a chance against an adult KING cobra. Definately a monacled/spectacled cobra or spitting cobra for sure, but King Cobra I highly doubt. The King Cobra is the largest poisonous snake in the world reaching lengths of 17-20 feet and feeding exclusively on other snakes. If you've ever seen Steve Irwin (Crocodile Hunter) face off against one of these, this snake raised up off the ground with hood spread came up to his waist. They are extremely intelligent as well. I just can't see how a little mongoose can take down a 20 foot, lethally poisonous and very intelligent snake. I have however seen them kill the more regular (and much smaller) cobra's and vipers.

Anyway, I am curious to see the results of these AFR heads.... 300CFM isn't all THAT impressive - but I am curious to see how the smaller ports and CC with higher velocity compares against a stage II set of LS6 or 6.0 heads.

Last edited by JF WS6; 10-27-2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default AFR Heads

well if afr is making a set of heads for the ls-1/ls-6 motors, then they will rock. i had a set on my 347 stroker mustang and they kicked ***.i will be buying a set for my SS when i buy it too.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm finding the debate about the Mongoose and Cobras more interesting LOL
Old 10-27-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sscam68
I'm finding the debate about the Mongoose and Cobras more interesting LOL
and informative lol
Old 10-27-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen first hand a cobra's defeat at the claws and teeth of a single mongoose. the mongoose was bitten 3 times and survived. the reason it can do this is because it has really thick hair and skin. It is also about 5 times faster than the cobra.

Last edited by finalymodded; 10-27-2003 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JF WS6
Anyway, I am curious to see the results of these AFR heads.... 300CFM isn't all THAT impressive - but I am curious to see how the smaller ports and CC with higher velocity compares against a stage II set of LS6 or 6.0 heads.

JF,

It's still amazing to me how "big" some shops make their heads just to get to a certain advertising "number"!

Forget the "300" cfm mark everyone bases a "good" head on. Compare PORT VOLUME (in cc's) per CFM as tested. The AFR package will prove to you it is a better deal.

Forget "Stage" whatever ported stock heads. The times are changing! With the new AFR LS heads, getting "quality" flow right from the start is now a reality...

A 205 cc intake port that flows the kind on figures a ported LS6 235 cc port flows is VERY efficient! It WILL make more power than the bigger head. Now when you add in the AFR 225 head that will blow away a 245 head, it's just too amazing.

Efficient heads always win!

Ed
Old 10-27-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

back to the topic of afr heads. I want them but, plan to wait on shops to learn the best porting method to use. Because it is my understanding that they are not ported only assembled from afr. so there should be alot of room for improvement over the current heads at 300cfm.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDC

Forget "Stage" whatever ported stock heads. The times are changing! With the new AFR LS heads, getting "quality" flow right from the start is now a reality...

A 205 cc intake port that flows the kind on figures a ported LS6 235 cc port flows is VERY efficient! It WILL make more power than the bigger head. Now when you add in the AFR 225 head that will blow away a 245 head, it's just too amazing.

Efficient heads always win!

Ed
Agreed.... but the LS6 head is a very good and efficient design to begin with. I guess how much more efficient the AFR heads are will be shown in due time. Considering the price on these, the power differences will have to be fairly substantial for people to buy them over ported stock castings.

I can't wait to see how they do with a stock short block, and a matched cam. If it is possible to achieve 500RWHP out of a stock shortblock with these heads/matched cam and a LSX intake with boltons I'm all for it.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

These heads look great but in another year or 2 we might have the possibility of 3V heads off the new C6 Corvette. The stock castings for the 3V heads are suppose to flow 15-20% more than LS6 heads. I'll be waiting till they hit the market ported before I consider going the heads and cam route even if it is a long wait.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

I want something that will offer more HP and TQ than current heads, I don't care about these freaking flow numbers.... although they are directly related. I want some AFRs for my 422 to make a large amount of rwhp with a good intake..... there is a lot of testing to do, the product needs to prove itself. im really suprised AFR has not put out any numbers except cfm numbers, they really need to start talking to some shops for some R&D.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh...the things you learn on LS1Tech.com!
Old 10-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody have any idea how much they cost? i can't find them listed in their pricelist.
Chris