Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR 224/224/114 Warranty Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question TR 224/224/114 Warranty Problems?

I am thinking of getting this cam due to its ability to pass emissions here in CA. My question is, if I go in for warranty work, will they be able to tell I have swapped the cam? I have stock exhaust with a cutout and electric plate, so if they see that, they will know I have done some work on the exhaust, but through the stock exhaust, will you be able to hear this cam? Thanks for any help!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Yes you will be able to hear it.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most dealerships wont even care. They will just think you have exhaust work. If you needed both banks of lifters replaced under warranty, and they had to really open the engine, then that might detract them from doing warranty work. The dealership I work at could give two ***** about a cam. As long as the porters can easily drive it, it is good to go.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Hey bro let me kno what kinda numbers u get with that cam, cuz i have basically the same set up have in an 02 SS and i wanna get that cam too, but i heard its iffy on passin emissions, but anyhow let me kno ur dyno #'s when u get it
Old 12-03-2003, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

i initially failed NY inspection with a mild cam 220/220, 564/564, 112...my heads were milled .055, however...

...after an LS1Edit tune and 12 bottles of methonal (dry gas) to a 1/4 tank of gas, it finally sqeeked through...

...find out what your state limit is for hydrocarbons...if it is say 60PPM, you probably won't pass with the 224 cam...
Old 12-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skytower31
My question is, if I go in for warranty work, will they be able to tell I have swapped the cam? Thanks for any help!
Even though they will be able to tell by the lope you have the cam, it should not be an issue unless the cam is directly related to what they are to cover with the warranty work. Someone said there was a law passed just to address this kind of thing.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting...do you have any more info on that law?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

What you studying law now
noobie

whats up
Old 12-03-2003, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Alright killer, now you're starting to scare me!

j/k, anyway, I do tend to care about learning about law once I started doing potentially "illegal" things with/to my car

Also, do you think I would again, officially be a non-noob once I install my own cam? Huh, huh, what do ya think now, huh???

But really, I am not sure when I am going to do the cam, but it is a must. Warranty is really my only reason for not doing it yet! Plus she is still the daily driver so I can't mess her up and not be able to drive her to work!

Old 12-03-2003, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smoke_Ford
Most dealerships wont even care. They will just think you have exhaust work. If you needed both banks of lifters replaced under warranty, and they had to really open the engine, then that might detract them from doing warranty work. The dealership I work at could give two ***** about a cam. As long as the porters can easily drive it, it is good to go.

This is good to know as i live in Elmhusrt and thinking about cammin up my 03 z06. What dealership are you referring to and if you prefer, feel free to send a PM.

THANKS!
Old 12-03-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had some dealer work done to my SS and they did not care about the cam....they even went so far as to try and slip it by the adjuster.....but on my second claim the adjuster saw the long tube headers and they voided my warranty....so much for that...only if they knew what else was in the car besides those headers
Old 12-04-2003, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Alright killer, now you're starting to scare me!

j/k, anyway, I do tend to care about learning about law once I started doing potentially "illegal" things with/to my car

Also, do you think I would again, officially be a non-noob once I install my own cam? Huh, huh, what do ya think now, huh???

But really, I am not sure when I am going to do the cam, but it is a must. Warranty is really my only reason for not doing it yet! Plus she is still the daily driver so I can't mess her up and not be able to drive her to work!

Yea I am only 3K from my reg warranty, and I think I am going to drop my extended warranty so I can use the money for mods
I am installing a 230/224 myself as well.
You should be very good shape with a 224/224 though
and you have long passed noob status, I was just at ya with your low post count..... but then mine is not in the 2k area here either huh
Old 12-04-2003, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MTI 427 C5 Roadster
This is good to know as i live in Elmhusrt and thinking about cammin up my 03 z06. What dealership are you referring to and if you prefer, feel free to send a PM.

THANKS!

Try Larry Roesch Chevrolet on Grand avenue. When ever I brought in my Camaro all the guys ever wanted to talk about was what I had done and about my stereo. It would take me and hour to get an oil change 30 minutes for the change and another 30 just shooting the **** with the shop guys.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22238