Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aluminum block power potential

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default aluminum block power potential

whats the most power u guys have seen put through a turbod ls1 block? i dont want to run an iron block i like the ls1 im keeping it stock stroke maybe a .030 bore but thats it. i want to run something like a garrett gt55r with 700hp daily to around 1100hp for drag use. any info u guys have about ur experiences with aluminum compared to iron would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

I've seen some do around 600 rwhp with stock cubed ls1. problem is that aluminum is weaker than iron. Under more stress it's proned to crack.

Last edited by 00MaroonZ28; 10-19-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

You are restricted by cubes but there are a few LS1 with stock rotating assembly doing more than 600rwhp+. Me you I would install forged the internals that way you have piece of mind.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by THEBRAD
to around 1100hp for drag use.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

idk what u r supposed to mean by that?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 AM
11 Second Club

what are you wanting to spend. the iron block will be cheaper in the long run if you're wanting to achieve that kind of power.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

idk what u r supposed to mean by that?
He means exactly what the smilies say.... your engine will blow up, its suicide.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

guys at virginia speed r telling me it will be fine just have to worry about crank walk and the heads lifting and they have the solutions for that so im going to have to believe what they have to say since they have actually done it
Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually, i am 99% sure ive seen some pushing over 1500 on an LS2 block. i have no idea how im going to find this, but im going to search and see if i can find it. maybe ill start a thread abotu it just to find it but seriously, dont buy into all the hype that aluminums wont stand for more than 6 or 700hp. thats a load a crap. like i said, im out to find the thread i was talking about...

oh and youre going to need to resleeve the block for a .030 bore. cant do it on an ls1 without a resleeve
Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

then no bore it is. i know the problem with the aluminum holding up is not the block coming apart so much as the sleeves lifting. some people on here r to quick to write something down so they can try to sound smart by putting some one down when all they do is make themselves look like an idiot. thanks wssick, ill be looking forward to that thread link when u find it lol
Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on (Fireball) LS2 Block 1700+HP

O yeah thats one of many Virginia speed Engines Well over the 1000 mark some over the 2000 mark...

Virginia speed is the way to go..
Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

and i wont be restricted by cubes because i have a decently large turbo. and i dont really want to spend much, all my budget pretty much goes to the internals and turbo and cast iron is heavy and lsx blocks r expensive
Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bpowell688
Do a search on (Fireball) LS2 Block 1700+HP

O yeah thats one of many Virginia speed Engines Well over the 1000 mark some over the 2000 mark...

Virginia speed is the way to go..
thank you. that is probably what i was trying to remember, but couldnt. thanks again.

there is a whole lot of good info on this site, but as with any other site, there is always misinformation to go hand in hand. LS2 blocks are around and can be had for a decent price, even an LS3 is like ~1400. high yes, but not unreasonable. but thats only if you want some mroe cubes. plus the bigger bore block (LS2/3) allow for L92 heads, if you arent going with some serious heads already.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love how a few people build a high power engine and then everyone thinks its easy to do and that theirs will hold the same power.

Fireballs engine FAILED..........badass as it was for a stock block.........it failed. If it was an iron 6 bolt LSX block it would still be perfect and running great.

And don't start the "extra weight" of an iron block crap.......its a stupid argument for anyone talking about 2,000 hp set-ups.

THEBRAD,

All you need for what you want is a RE-SLEEVED LS2 block. Built and tuned properly.....It'll last forever and ever at 700 RWHP and it'll have absolutley no problem at all living for a very long time at 1,100 RWHP.
If you stay stock sleeves......you'll have a ticking time bomb on your hands at 1,100 RWHP. Might last 2 years, might live a week, might fail on the dyno.

Thats as simple as it gets.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ agreed

The ability for the block to withstand the power is directly proportional to modifications to the block/heads.

Talk to a engine builder and one that comes to mind is VA Speed as some of the work that went into Fireballs motors is def trick and certainly not cheap but works.

To behonest like you said, Budget.... A iron block is def budget friendly and depending on your funds, your not going to be looking at or beyond LSX. Personally the cost of getting a block prepped to handle the power will be more w/ the aluminum but the weight to hp ratio wont be much different. At worst you would be dealing with a heavy front end when the car is scaled.

Ultimately what bothers me is the HP turbo application vs. a Budget and often not everyone can make that work. I think you need to set a reasonible expectation.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In hindsight, I wish I would have used an LS2 block or 6.0 iron block for my build. That way, I would have been able to use the L92 heads. I don't know if they will get you to 1,100hp, but they do give you A LOT for the money.

If you're on a budget and don't want to go around $1,000 for an LS2 block, iron block can be had for a couple hundred bucks. Sure it's an extra 80 lbs or so, but that savings combined with the L92 heads (over a CNC head) is going to save you $1,500-$2,000... which I am sure you will have no problem spending on an 1,100hp build!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I love how a few people build a high power engine and then everyone thinks its easy to do and that theirs will hold the same power.

Fireballs engine FAILED..........badass as it was for a stock block.........it failed. If it was an iron 6 bolt LSX block it would still be perfect and running great.

And don't start the "extra weight" of an iron block crap.......its a stupid argument for anyone talking about 2,000 hp set-ups.

THEBRAD,

All you need for what you want is a RE-SLEEVED LS2 block. Built and tuned properly.....It'll last forever and ever at 700 RWHP and it'll have absolutley no problem at all living for a very long time at 1,100 RWHP.
If you stay stock sleeves......you'll have a ticking time bomb on your hands at 1,100 RWHP. Might last 2 years, might live a week, might fail on the dyno.

Basically what I was trying to say with a few smileys Not saying something/anything cant be done. But with price and reliability factored in, sometimes there are better ways.....

guys at virginia speed r telling me it will be fine just have to worry about crank walk and the heads lifting and they have the solutions for that so im going to have to believe what they have to say since they have actually done it
Im not saying and never said it couldnt be done, but, if I was out to build an 1100hp monster i would source the strongest block/parts in my price range.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

im not saying an iron block is out of my price range or than an ls2 is either i just had a spare block that i could use and wondered if it would hold because ive heard a lot of rumors that they blow at 7 or 8 and yet ive seen cars with 7 and 8 and 900hp and these people r running the **** out of them. as for the weight factor this is a dd car, i have really no intent to take it to the drag strip but once or twice, its my street car that i really dont want to handle any worse than it already does. the car is a boat stops slow handles like poo and i have upgraded suspension and rotors. i was just trying to keep it as light as possible the turbo kit alone is going to add 200 pounds and i really didnt want to sacrifice handling and braking even more. thanks for the help though guys i appreciate all the info. and ls6427 ive been reading bad things and good things about the sleeves in these motors and didnt really know if a sleeved ls would even hold the power
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

if you have a spare LS2 block, id be inclined to sell it and pick up a junkyard 6.0. you can probably get 500-1000 bucks for that block, depending on who you sell it to of course. take the 6.0 block for cheap, and the 317 heads are a cheap boost friend head, up until 700 or 800 from what ive seen around here in FI section. selling the block means more $ elsewhere. power can overcome weight.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS6427

THEBRAD,

Lets get one thing straight...

Last year I ran the same block at the ~1200RWHP level. Block was fine other than some main cap walk. this was a 100% factory block with no fill.

This year, we pushed it ALOT further. 32psi boost plus a sh%t-ton of timing. Had about 40-45 passes on it before it went It was no secret...we knew it was gonna happen sooner or later

Next year...will still have an LS2 (though modified this time) and plan on pushing it EVEN FURTHER since I'm putting a tiny 106mm turbo on it

There is a BIIIIGGGGGGGG difference between 1100 hp and 1700 hp

You better rethink your weight argument...