Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enging Removal Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enging Removal Questions

(1)Getting everything ready to take the block out through the top, but do not want to mess with pulling the U/D pulley. Is that going to be a problem? Will the machine shop want it removed? I believe it will come out of the bay if I either angle back a bit or possibly rotate 90 deg as I am coming out with it.

(2)Leaving the oil pan on....ok?

(3)Leaving the a/c off.... how do I cap the connection under the cowi? The smaller "radiator" is also left off?

(4)When unbolting the engine, do I just remove the long thru bolts in the mounts?

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

yes you take the long bolts out of the mounts...you can leave the oil pan on... just unblot the ac compressor and move it aside. you do need to take off the radiator(coolant) and the crank hub and all the accesories. You can leave the ac condensor (smaller radiator) in. if you have an auto unbolt the converter from the flexplate. qtp engine plate very helpful...

Last edited by youguessit; 11-20-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

also it helps if you put all your bolts in separate baggies and mark the bags with a marker. you will have to get a ps pulley puller to unhook that from the head.you dont have to unhook the powersteering lines just unbolt it from the head.take care for the wiring harness. You might have to take off the front clip depending on if your engine hoist is long enough... Take your time and doublecheck and you will be fine. Just lot of work... nothin impossible.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

TTT
Thanks for the input. Do not want to mess with pulley... crap. I have the SLP U/D....do I need a special puller?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe, I have the 3 bolt type puller if you do. You can rent it from me you don't have to buy one. It is very close going in and out from the top, you need to twist it a little bit when you pull or install. It will come out with the pulley on. Twist it and angle the engine, it's a lot easier without the pulley off thats for sure.

The machine shop will want it removed.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 11-21-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll go in and out with the pulley on no problem if you use a puller with a lot of control like the QTP lifting plate. Why you pulling it out?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by youguessit
also it helps if you put all your bolts in separate baggies and mark the bags with a marker. you will have to get a ps pulley puller to unhook that from the head.you dont have to unhook the powersteering lines just unbolt it from the head.take care for the wiring harness. You might have to take off the front clip depending on if your engine hoist is long enough... Take your time and doublecheck and you will be fine. Just lot of work... nothin impossible.
I've always done the bolts in a bag with a note.

I take lots of pictures too, sometimes it helps jog the memory.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Well got the crank bolt loose before my bro(hugger427) and I pulled the tranny....glad I thought about that before i pulled the engine. He went to O'Reily's to borrow a 3 bolt puller and should come off no problem. How far out do I leave the bolt before attaching the puller. Oh yeah, I am pulling the engine due to #7 piston ringland failure....knew itwas going to happen eventually... not stock horsepower on stock internals....