Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 head and cam install wont stop ticking

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 head and cam install wont stop ticking

So i put ls6heads and 228 588 114lsa cam on my ls1 and for the last three weeks i have been messing with trying to figure out why ill be driving down the road and it will just randomly start to tick and then go away sometimes louder than others ive checked my pushrod length twice and put new comp cam lifters in it still ticks away whenever it wants.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fast04gto1
So i put ls6heads and 228 588 114lsa cam on my ls1 and for the last three weeks i have been messing with trying to figure out why ill be driving down the road and it will just randomly start to tick and then go away sometimes louder than others ive checked my pushrod length twice and put new comp cam lifters in it still ticks away whenever it wants.
its the chevy tick.lol. this is one Id like to know as well for reference
Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be piston slap. Usually that occurs on a cold start and for a few minutes afterwards though. I wonder if you may have had that noise prior, but are just trying to listen more to the motor since doing the h/c swap. I started to do a lifter change for someone only to discover they never got the header flange back on flush after doing the head swap the first time. Could be an exhaust tick too. Did you use a stock length pushrod? 7.400 Also, could be a rocker that spit out its needle bearings or a broken spring.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 03-18-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Start by checking your pushrods... Then start narrowing it down from there.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Teching In

checked my pushrods and i am runing 7.350s and it will make the noise when its warm to it does it whenever its definetly in the valve train to i replaced everything exept the rockers they are stock
Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

did you take your oil pump off? if you did or even if you didnt your culprit might be the o-ring from what i understant a torn or chewed oring will allow air to get into the oil and cause the llifters to not get enough oil in them causing the tick when nothing else is wrong there is a nine page thread where this exact thing happened in internal engine
Old 03-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Launching!

I chased a ticking noise for a few weeks.installed new Comp hard 7.4pr,ls7 lifters Comp 918 valve springs when I installed the cam.Ended up being 1 of the valve springs was
.018 shorter than the others.Ordered another valve spring and that fixed it.I guess I could have shimmed it too.I found out valve spring pressures are important!Lol
Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 500@10psi
did you take your oil pump off? if you did or even if you didnt your culprit might be the o-ring from what i understant a torn or chewed oring will allow air to get into the oil and cause the llifters to not get enough oil in them causing the tick when nothing else is wrong there is a nine page thread where this exact thing happened in internal engine
couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:04 AM
TECH Resident

i had the same problem a few years back with alot of ticking after my h/c installation. i added another qt of mobil1 ( i've been using 6 qts of oil every since ) and the ticking stop completely . i know it may be a long shot ,but it's the quickest fix to try first especially if you may be only using 5 qts now.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same trouble. One time i start it and its quiet, next time it ticks terrible. I'm sure its the lifters bleeding down when its shut off because if i let it idle for 1/2 hr its quiet for a few starts as long as i don't run it hard. If i run it hard they start ticking again. Mine is stock, I guess the later factory lifters are junk.

My oil pressure is always good and doesn't fluctuate so i'm sure its not the oring.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 500@10psi
I'll THIRD this.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
I have the same trouble. One time i start it and its quiet, next time it ticks terrible. I'm sure its the lifters bleeding down when its shut off because if i let it idle for 1/2 hr its quiet for a few starts as long as i don't run it hard. If i run it hard they start ticking again. Mine is stock, I guess the later factory lifters are junk.

My oil pressure is always good and doesn't fluctuate so i'm sure its not the oring.
My pressure was good as well. The problem is the oil is foaming. I refused to believe it was the o-ring. By the time I bit the bullet and took it to a sponsor to check out my cam bearings were shot as well. All over a $2 o-ring.

Quick Reply: ls6 head and cam install wont stop ticking