Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big problem, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big problem, please help!!

Ok heres the situation, I took my 00 t/a to the shop to under go some internal and external modifications, such as, heads, cam, gears, headers, intake, tb ect. Basically, picked the car up the other day and was very unhappy with my results (keeping in mind i intended it to run shitty until i get it dyno tuned), but it ran much worse than i imagined. Alot of the "easy" things that i could see myself (vaccum hoses, unbolted parts ect). When driving down the road, the car has to be reved up past 3000rpm just to stay running, in the mean time, it jerks back and fourth upon acceleration. A friend of mine stopped over with a gm tech scan tool, threw 12 codes, 02 sensors, evap(did away with because of the lt headers), map sensor, multi cylinder misfire I fixed the 02 sensors (that were not even put on the headers, still showing the map sensor but that could be from the big cam without tune, but the multi cylinder misfire is a big concern of mine, i have intentions on putting the car up on a dyno tuesday & can not until i figure this out. I put new spark plugs in (NGK v-power) thinking maybe they accidently cracked one, my old spark plugs (boush platiums and new ngks, cyl 1 spark plug is drenched in fuel, there is spark getting to both the spark plug wire and the coil. What options do i have? Could the timing be out? Am i missing something? The car runs like absolute ****, and all i know is when i took it to the shop, everything was correct. Car is an m6, w/ 80k miles, ls1 (well was lol)
Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garylisko
Ok heres the situation, I took my 00 t/a to the shop to under go some internal and external modifications, such as, heads, cam, gears, headers, intake, tb ect. Basically, picked the car up the other day and was very unhappy with my results (keeping in mind i intended it to run shitty until i get it dyno tuned), but it ran much worse than i imagined. Alot of the "easy" things that i could see myself (vaccum hoses, unbolted parts ect). When driving down the road, the car has to be reved up past 3000rpm just to stay running, in the mean time, it jerks back and fourth upon acceleration. A friend of mine stopped over with a gm tech scan tool, threw 12 codes, 02 sensors, evap(did away with because of the lt headers), map sensor, multi cylinder misfire I fixed the 02 sensors (that were not even put on the headers, still showing the map sensor but that could be from the big cam without tune, but the multi cylinder misfire is a big concern of mine, i have intentions on putting the car up on a dyno tuesday & can not until i figure this out. I put new spark plugs in (NGK v-power) thinking maybe they accidently cracked one, my old spark plugs (boush platiums and new ngks, cyl 1 spark plug is drenched in fuel, there is spark getting to both the spark plug wire and the coil. What options do i have? Could the timing be out? Am i missing something? The car runs like absolute ****, and all i know is when i took it to the shop, everything was correct. Car is an m6, w/ 80k miles, ls1 (well was lol)
id take that **** back to their shop and tell em to ******* fix it, you dealt with these guys before? you obviously paid quite a bit to get this done, get em to do it right! did you change the plugs after you drove home or before the install?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

I would be suing some mother F@!# over that! I put a MS3 cam and PRC heads on my 00 T/A and no codes were thrown and thats with a tune for a 525/532 cam before. I would recommend checkin everything over and tighten everything down and be sure everything is broke in b4 you get her dyno tuned. I would recommend going with an upgraded stock plug,which are more than likely ACDelcos so get the ACDelco finewires they are what your motor wants..but it will not cause a misfire just by the plugs unless they are fouled out.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

if you changed before the install you probably fouled out your plugs, did you ever blow em out while you were driving or before you turned it off? thats probably your misfire. map sensor might be unplugged, might be why its running like **** but not sure if it would even start with it unplugged, mine wouldnt.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

I changed the plugs today, since its been home. They are suposivly coming to my house tomarrow to fix the things the messed up (my buddy and i fixed almost everything but what we could not figure out) Cost wise is probably where the BIG problem lies. I paid, $450 + parts in labor, So, basically, i got $450 worth of labor, and a **** put-back-together job. I'm trying very hard to be patient with these people as they're offering to be honest and correct their problems before it gets worse. You guys honestly wouldn't believe what STUPID mistakes they made. But anyways, I'm really lost on what options I could be missing with the plug covered in fuel. Like i said, i expected the car to be out of wack, but its so bad I can barely drive it. The guy is telling me theres a slight chance it could be out of timing, but we're all hoping that is not the case. Quite frankly, I dont want him un-doing the mistakes we corrected. This was suppose to be done a week ago, & $1,000 later I'm still stressing out about it. Opinions about posibility of timing being out?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

These guys sound like shade tree mechanics,the timing could be off but not 180 degrees cuz that thing wouldnt even start. what size of injectors do you have?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

agreed on the injectors. if they installed bigger injectors, and didnt tune it, it will pour mass amounts of fuel into the cylinders. you shouldnt be driving it. if it s covering the plugs and putting out spark, that will explain your random/multi misfire. your lucky its running like **** and not hydrolocked.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FreebirdWS6
I would be suing some mother F@!# over that! I put a MS3 cam and PRC heads on my 00 T/A and no codes were thrown and thats with a tune for a 525/532 cam before. I would recommend checkin everything over and tighten everything down and be sure everything is broke in b4 you get her dyno tuned. I would recommend going with an upgraded stock plug,which are more than likely ACDelcos so get the ACDelco finewires they are what your motor wants..but it will not cause a misfire just by the plugs unless they are fouled out.
AC Delco wires are OK but MSD 8.5 wires are better and No they are not AC Delco plugs...they are Denso plugs...I have been using NGK plugs for over 200,000 miles without any problems...I change mine every 6 months which is about every 10000-12000 miles...looking at your plugs can tell you a lot about how your engine is preforming... and for $1.95 a plug it is not expensive...those platinum and irradium plugs are pricey to say the least.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

The injectors are currently stock, trying to find a set at decent price but for now, theyre the stockers. Could this just be a symptom of the h/c swap before a tune?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

pretty sure the fine wires are ACDelcos but you know everything! Spark plugs are more of a preference thing such as this guy he likes NGK which is fine! i was just giving my opinion but guess we cant do that!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FreebirdWS6
pretty sure the fine wires are ACDelcos but you know everything! Spark plugs are more of a preference thing such as this guy he likes NGK which is fine! i was just giving my opinion but guess we cant do that!

All I did was correct your incorrect info on the OEM plugs and stated my preference in spark plugs .... and your flipping me off ... ... geeze where do these people come from.

To the OP you need to find a shop that knows something about LS series engines...it sounds like these guys have no clue....shoddy work to say the least....you should have done the work yourself..there are 100s and probably 1000s of guys on ls1tech that have done their heads/cam swap themselves without the problems that this shop has produced for you...good luck getting it straighten out.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

i got installed a mid cam with LT's and a stall. once i got it all done i started it and the ran ROUGH for what I though was a mild cam 226/230 112lsa. my ses light cam on for the EGR/AIR system which i removed because of thw long tubes, rear O2's because, well, it's running with open headers, and random misfires which i think is from the cam and the fact is doesn't what to idle.
Good Luck though!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Could this be because they didnt time it correctly? That is my big concern tomarrow, I have a dyno app at 3 tomarrow, $400 bucks, i dont want to be out, if its not sumthing minor they can fix. If someone came across the same problem with cyl1 soaked with fuel, after an h/c swap, please give me a call, 412 403 9941. Im in the garage doing the best i can to solve this problem. I'm hearing to many different opinions with nothing set in stone. The plug, wire and coil all get spark to them, that is the thing that throws me off. thanks in advanced
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Well the only two solutions i came to is either: symptom of h/c swap and just needs tuned, or the timing is out. Im crossing my finger for it being a symptom of putting a big cam in and confusing the computer/engine. Dyno is set for 3:00 tomarrow, hopefully all will go well.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

The ignition timing will not be off...the cars PCM conrols that. But if the clowns that did the install for you did not install the cam correctly the timing of the valve events could be off. Like I said before you need to find another shop these guys are not rvery good to give the car back to you in that condition.

The first cam I installed in my engine was a TSP torquer you do not need new injectors for that head and cam swap...when I started mine for the first time it needed a little pressure on the throttle to idle during the first few minutes...I drove it around for about 25 miles and it learned how to idle and act right...I took it and had it tuned 2 days later and it ran great...I ran that cam for about 45,000 miles as a daily driver...it did not like the 3.42 gears but after I swaped in some 4.10 gears it was great after that. I had comp grind me a custom cam that I have been running for the last 85,000 miles..car makes 452 RWHP and is a daily driver still using the 28 pound stock injectors with no problems.

Last edited by slt200mph; 03-23-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

My luck is terrible, i wake up today to find out the wideband went on the Dyno today. I lost patients, trying to find another local dyno but dont think that is going to happen.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Looking like tomarrow or Thursday for the dyno tune, I'm going to wait and see if the tune fixes my problems. Really, I'm out of money to take it to a different shop & read alot about multi cyl misfire as a symptom of a head/cam swap, so still crossing my fingers a tune will correct it. As of now, I'm going to run my stock injectors. Too much $ tied up in this build, & havent even seen the results yet. Ordered a 3" Magnaflow Muffler to go in replace of my SLP Loud Mouth so my neighbors stop taken videos of me lol.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Trying to drive an untuned car with big mods is like putting an F-body together without any metric sockets, isnt exactly easy, the tune is everything.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Haha, i learned that. I did expect it to run rough, but not as bad as it is. The gas on cyl 1 plug threw me off, but then again, the computer/engine is confused. I think I'm looking at worst-case senerios because I dont know how much faith I have in the shop that did my work, they made alot of "stupid" mistakes, so I'm hoping they took they're time on the important parts. I probably should have done a little at a time, to see what i got from seperate mods, but I wanted a night/day difference, between the mods, and the koni shocks, I'm expecting to feel like I'm in a complete different car.

Quick Reply: big problem, please help!!