Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Noise, any opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Noise, any opinions

heads/cam install a few weeks ago, hasnt been driven much, noticed ticking noise sounds like its coming from passenger side of engine bay. Its consistent with engine speed but not constant, it only ticks every few seconds or so at random when engine is idling. Im guessing a loose rocker, I am going to check the rockers tomorrow or thursday when i have time, I jsut wanted to get a few opinions before.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a rocker or lifter. The only way to see is by cracking it open fella. Post up if you find anything.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Launching!

check rockers, pushrods, if it looks good, change to a heavier oil.

i had a ticking for the last 1500 miles, checked rockers/pushrods, changed to 20w50 friday and then the motor started knocking yesterday, great!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

haha sorry about your luck! I just switched to castrol 0w30 about 50 miles ago, it doesnt sound like normal engine noise though.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man didn't get your text until this morning. I would do as the other guys mentioned. Check rockers to make sure they are tight first. One of my buddies had a few of his rockers keep coming loose and it obviously made a noticeable tick. Hope that's all it is man!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Andy, I'm probably going to tear into it tonight after work. Suggestions on loctiting the rocker bolts?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so i found a small (or so i thought) leak between my header and my head after i posted this thread. When i had gotten my y pipe built, the guys at the muffler shop were yanking and pulling on my header turn downs trying to get them off (clamped on for temporary driving), apparently they had pulled a couple threads out of a couple of the header bolts on the passenger side, the bolts that came with my headers werent very long anyway. So i got a new gasket and longer bolts today and fixed the leak, which was also the source of the "ticking" noise. The leak, i thought was just a little hole, but after i got the old gasket off, i discovered that almost one whole port was leaking.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that was the source of the "tick". Now get that thing tuned!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baddbird99
Ok, so i found a small (or so i thought) leak between my header and my head after i posted this thread. When i had gotten my y pipe built, the guys at the muffler shop were yanking and pulling on my header turn downs trying to get them off (clamped on for temporary driving), apparently they had pulled a couple threads out of a couple of the header bolts on the passenger side, the bolts that came with my headers werent very long anyway. So i got a new gasket and longer bolts today and fixed the leak, which was also the source of the "ticking" noise. The leak, i thought was just a little hole, but after i got the old gasket off, i discovered that almost one whole port was leaking.
how do you find header leaks?

Smell? Or is there some method?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Well mine was at the front port on the passenger side, and i just happen to stick my hand in there and felt it blowing on my hand when it was running. But i noticed after it had been ran for a little bit, it left a smoke stain on the side of my head where it was leaking.