Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Temp. Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp. Issues

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so hello!! The problem I'm having is my 2001 z06 is running very hot!! Its runs at idle 225 degrees and when i drive it it climbs up to 255-260!! As soon as I get off the gas and stop it goes back too 225. Ive replaced the thermostat and housing and it didn't make a difference. A few mechanics I talked to said it could either be blown head gasket or warped head. It doesn't run any different and there is no signs of coolant out the exhaust or in the oil. I did a combustion test at my local GM dealership and the (2) tubes that have the blue fluid didn't change color when sucking the fumes from the engine into the tubes. They said it would change from blue to yellow if there was exhaust fumes going through the engine which would indicate head gasket or warped head(s). Coolant level is fine but when it gets to over 225 degrees it pushes the coolant out of the surge cap and then sucks it back down over and over again. I do run 150 shot of nitrous but only have been for 2 years and use maybe 4 lbs. a year, so not very much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm just tired of guessing what it is.

thanks again!!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Default i AM HAVEING SAME ISSUE

I just replaced

Head gaskets
Water pump
New Hyper tech 160 thermostat
Just got it all finished and same problem
I tore it down thinking it was head gasket had block and heads checked ...all good!
I am sitting here right know not knowing what to do ! The weird thing is I dont get heat ! and the lines on the car build up solid amount of pressure hard enough you cant squeeze!
I really have no idea what is causeing this! I was just driving home one day and it all went to hell!
No smoke no coolant in oil !

YOu let it set and run it slowly burps out of car when it gets to 195 you rev it alittle and temp drops to 186 for 10 seconds and rises up and start to slowly burp outta tank !
I am praying that a tech god hopes on tonight!

So didnt mean to steal you thread !
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM

Not a problem just wish I could get it diagnosed so I can drive it. I wonder if it could possibly be an sensor issue?? Mine idles at 225 with or with a 160 thermostat and goes up to near 260 when driving and then back down to 225 when idling again. Very Fustrating right now!!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is pretty rare to have a pump failure but have you pulled the top hose at radiator and confirmed your pump is working properly? Has the radiator been flow tested? Are the fins clogged with leaves etc... I know these questions are a reach but you have looked in the most obvious places

OP yours sounds like the classic HG as it rises at speed and cools when idling but if you tested good and are not using coolant IDK...

Good luck and please follow up when you get it resolved as it will help somebody else out on here down the road......
Old 04-29-2010, 03:39 AM
TECH Resident

Default I will follow up!

I have looked into everything gonna flush system tommorow and I will recheck pump ! I have no idea what else it would be !
Old 04-29-2010, 04:04 AM
On The Tree

Have you washed out your radiator? That area can get full of dirt pretty easy on a C5, get a pressure washer/air compressor, pull of the radiator cover and spray that sucker out. Also park it going up a hill or put it on lift and get that thing from below.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
It is pretty rare to have a pump failure but have you pulled the top hose at radiator and confirmed your pump is working properly? Has the radiator been flow tested? Are the fins clogged with leaves etc... I know these questions are a reach but you have looked in the most obvious places

OP yours sounds like the classic HG as it rises at speed and cools when idling but if you tested good and are not using coolant IDK...

Good luck and please follow up when you get it resolved as it will help somebody else out on here down the road......
I was told the same thing that it is very rare that the water pumps go in the Corvettes. There is no leaves clogged anywheres. I guess I can do a pressure check. That should tell me something I believe.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 AM

Yea I think Friday i may tackle the radiator next and see if I can get a flow test done.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:19 AM
10 Second Club

Have you checked the fans and fan settings? Is this during highway driving (not fans) or city/town driving idling (possibly fans)? Any coolant leaks? Have you verified coolant flow and bled any air out of the system?

Just throwing out some ideas...
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Azrael
Have you checked the fans and fan settings? Is this during highway driving (not fans) or city/town driving idling (possibly fans)? Any coolant leaks? Have you verified coolant flow and bled any air out of the system?

Just throwing out some ideas...

I don't think it is fans because the OP said it runs cooler at idle and hotter while rolling which is the opposite of what you would expect if the fans were not working.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I don't think it is fans because the OP said it runs cooler at idle and hotter while rolling which is the opposite of what you would expect if the fans were not working.
You're right I miss-read that!