Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head Gasket

Getting ready to start the build on my '00 SS, and I'm getting down to the final few parts to order. I'll be installing 243's, custom grind, and supporting mods. I was told by a tuner that I'd need to run .030 Cometic head gaskets, and I've done some asking around and had someone else tell me I need to run a .040 gasket because I'd be making my quench too tight with the .030. I'm by no means an "engine builder," but wouldn't he need to know how much the heads have been milled before telling me a .030 gasket will cause my quench to be too tight?
He also said this: "Too thin and pistons out of the hole (as they typically are on stock short-blocks) and you can actually have the piston hitting the head at TDC. Also too tight on the quench can cost you power (.035" or so quench is ideal on these engines, and he's about to put you a tad over .020"). It's a bad idea." Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moved from Advanced Tech.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joesscamaro252
Getting ready to start the build on my '00 SS, and I'm getting down to the final few parts to order. I'll be installing 243's, custom grind, and supporting mods. I was told by a tuner that I'd need to run .030 Cometic head gaskets, and I've done some asking around and had someone else tell me I need to run a .040 gasket because I'd be making my quench too tight with the .030. I'm by no means an "engine builder," but wouldn't he need to know how much the heads have been milled before telling me a .030 gasket will cause my quench to be too tight?
He also said this: "Too thin and pistons out of the hole (as they typically are on stock short-blocks) and you can actually have the piston hitting the head at TDC. Also too tight on the quench can cost you power (.035" or so quench is ideal on these engines, and he's about to put you a tad over .020"). It's a bad idea." Any advice? Thanks in advance!
You're going to want to have a minimum of .032 of quench distance. The pistons come out of the LS1 block, on average, .005-.008", so pick your gasket choice accordingly.

Also, depending on how big your custom cam is, how much/if you've milled those 243s, and how thin of a gasket you run, you could very easily have PTV issues. Consider all of these factors, and make sure you measure to check your clearances.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response. So, it seems that even if the heads weren't milled, I would still be safer/better off using a .040 head gasket?. Because if the heads were milled, a .030 gasket wouln't work for PTV clearance issues. I was told by my buddy that if I used the .030 gaskets, that should put me right at 11:1 compression ratio. I don't know if that tid bit of info. will help anyone steer me in the right direction, haha. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy a set of the stock MLS head gaskets and use them. I always used them with the 243's that were milled .30 to .60. You can even drill out the rivits and remove the center shims and make them the thickness you want.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:08 PM
on2
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
Buy a set of the stock MLS head gaskets and use them. I always used them with the 243's that were milled .30 to .60. You can even drill out the rivits and remove the center shims and make them the thickness you want.
That sounds possible, but has anyone done this? Any feedback?

Quick Reply: Head Gasket