Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, cracked my block

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, cracked my block

Alright, I know what I did was stupid but this morning I was driving a friend home. On the way home, it starts pouring rain. Well, the streets by my house are notorious for flooding. I should have pulled over and waited it out but I was only a mile from home. Well, I didn't realize how deep this water was and by the time I did realize it was too late. It didn't go over the hood at all but it killed my motor so I pushed it into a parking lot. I walked home and waited a few hours then went back and pulled all the spark plugs and tried to crank it over. I heard a terrible grinding noise like trying to start a car that's already running. I spun the motor by the crank bolt a couple times then tried it again and I could hear the start spinning but the motor wasn't spinning. I figured either my starter went out, it broke a couple teeth on the flywheel or it broke the starter mount. I jack up the car and crawl under when I notice it looks like a oil pan bolt was loose. Wtf? So I look closer and yep the oil pan was intact and still in place but the bolt had moved. Then I notice oil dripping and yea I'm pretty sure it hydrolocked and the force of that broke a rod and cracked my block. This is my guess. I still haven't gotten it home, but I was going to see if anyone had luck going through insurance with something like this? From what I've seen searching it seems like it depends person to person and to put it back to stock as much as possible. All it has is suspension, a slp lid and headers and true duals. I don't see them throwing a fit over any of that. What do you guys think? I have State Farm and my family has been with them for like 30 years. They seem to treat us really nicely and give us good deals so I'm hoping they'll cover it.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks bro, what are your plans for the new engine?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Well, it really depends on what insurance says. I'd love to build it up at least some but it's all in how much I have to work with. I don't plan on building something huge but a 383 or something would be nice to have. I'll definitely let you guys know when I find out tomorrow but if anyone has any advice on the insurance process or where to get a short block let me know. Thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

some time bad things happen like spun berings...etc
then you build the motor bigger and badder than it was before.....good luck
Old 06-13-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, at the very least I'm going to go with a 0 mile LS1 or LS6, so either way going from 95k to 0 miles is a plus. If insurance cuts me a check then I'll probably get something better and install it myself if insurance will let me.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State farm will pay for the damage but you are going to get what was in there. A used engine with close to the same mileage. Good Luck
Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look for someone doing a part out after you find out what insurance will cover. Direct bolt on parts don't usually cause a fuss for insurance companies unless you bolted some twin hair dryers up or bolted a supercharger on.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, I figured as long as I don't have a ton of upgrades or a CAI they won't say anything. My dad is wanting to help me out with it if insurance won't cover it but he's wanting me to just go with a 0 mile motor. I was looking and there is a bare block in Texas for 600. 0 miles and everything then TSP has a 383 rotating assembly for about 2000 with the options I want. I'll have to see if my heads are usable though. Anyone gone through this with insurance? Do you think they'll just give me a check or make me take it to a shop and they'll pay the shop? I'd love to just get a check and do it myself
Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by sxracerb25
Yea, I figured as long as I don't have a ton of upgrades or a CAI they won't say anything. My dad is wanting to help me out with it if insurance won't cover it but he's wanting me to just go with a 0 mile motor. I was looking and there is a bare block in Texas for 600. 0 miles and everything then TSP has a 383 rotating assembly for about 2000 with the options I want. I'll have to see if my heads are usable though. Anyone gone through this with insurance? Do you think they'll just give me a check or make me take it to a shop and they'll pay the shop? I'd love to just get a check and do it myself
Well if they make you take it to a shop...you need to have a sit down with the shop. They are getting paid one way or another. get my drift?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Well if they make you take it to a shop...you need to have a sit down with the shop. They are getting paid one way or another. get my drift?
Definitely. I posted on the local Racing forum to see if anyone knew of a shop that would work with me. Especially if maybe I could help out and cut on some of the costs or something like that so I could get a better motor. I'll call around to a couple shops tomorrow and see what they say. I appreciate all the advice
Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well, you may want to hold off on that. Most insurance companies that agree to have things replaced have a list in their database of shops that they will work with. Once you find out if its covered just look for shops near you. If they can tell you more than a few places you can take it to...start checking with those places. Most of the time insurance will pay a good penny when replacing what needs to be fixed just on stock stuff alone. I know of someone that was trying to get his WS6 fixed and they would not replace the 1400$ hood from GM that got damaged in the accident, so there are things that you may have to cover. Not sure about an engine though. However, I would atleast get some arp or katech rod bolts if you have to put it back completely stock.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Well, yea I was just trying to see what would be a good shop to go to if my insurance says they'll cover it and just take it to whatever shop I want. That's weird they wouldn't replace his hood though. From what I've read online it seems almost everyone that's had this happened has had it covered by full coverage. It just varies a lot on how much they get. I've seen anywhere from like 2500 to 8000 so I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well, I hope you come out on top in this deal. I know I could use a 414 stroker.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the ride. Same thing happened to this guy check out his thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-bye-lol.html
Good luck!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Well, I hope you come out on top in this deal. I know I could use a 414 stroker.
Appreciate it. I'll let you guys know. A guy from a local shop said to let him know what insurance says and he'll help me out with costs, he'll deal with insurance and try to help me come out on top.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:25 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Thats awesome man. I'm sure in some cases it involves the shop fibbing to the insurance companies though. But its not like they dont rob all the good drivers on the road who pay top dollar and nothing ever happens. They should bend over once in a while themselves.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:28 AM
10 Second Club

I agree. I've been with them for 7 years and this is the first claim I'll ever have made so I think I am due lol
Old 06-14-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

let me know how you make out cuz in that case i might be waiting for the next rain storm .

depending on the condition of your car besides the motor, i would have a 0kmi installed and sell a 0kmi ls1 car with a warrantee for some good coin and then you have a world of options
Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

I'll let you know. I filed a claim so an adjuster should be in contact within a few days. I'd like to keep the car since I still owe 8k on it and it's really clean other than the motor being blown lol It has 95k on the body.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

this brings back memories! 2 weeks after i bought my vette i had the exact same thing happen, i didnt even make my first car or insurance payment. The water shattered a rod, slammed the piston into the head cracking it, and put a golf ball size whole in the block. State farm didnt want to cover it at first. See the car had been sparayed before i owned it, the kit was gone but it still had the gauge and the tee on the fuel rail. Three different adjustors had to look at it to finally approve it. I took it to a well known GM dealer for service and after a month i had a replacement motor with 10k miles on it. i also made sure they transfered over all my bolt ons like ls6 intake, thermostat, ud pully, stuff like that.
After i got the car back it drove 3 miles until the clutch broke, turned out they had the throwout bearing cocked or something.
The total bill was over $14,000 and took nearly two months to repair! but for $500 deductible i gat a fresh motor and a new clutch

Quick Reply: Well, cracked my block