Old 01-28-2004, 01:40 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR update from TonyM

Saw this on corvette forum....

"Hello All...
Sorry for the long "sebaticle"...

I had been giving serious consideration to starting a post with an update on the status of the AFR's, and sure enough I saw this post tonight and decided it was a perfect oppurtunity to release some accurate information pertaining to the production launch of our 205's, and shortly thereafter, the release of our 225's.

Lets get the "bad news" out of the way....we are not going to make January (obviously), and February doesn't look very promising either, although there is a small chance that a limited production run might ship out to some dealers, etc at the end of the month or early March. The reality of that happening is still questionable, but at this point looks more positive than negative.

Why the delay?....Numerous reasons (too much optimism for one....I think every manufacturer of what looks to be an exciting product gets caught up in this trap....If any of you have manufacturing backrounds, I'm sure your chuckling as you read this).

The biggest part of the delay is the fact the first wave of test castings had some issues and minor revisions that had to be made. We couldn't just give the foundry the green light to start running production until these small details are resolved. Optimisism that the first wave would be acceptable and we could go right to production was probably not very realistic, although the good news is the revisions are minor and we have hopes the second wave of test castings due shortly will provide us with better results and a green light to start our first major production run of LSX castings. Considering this was a ground up completely new product for us, the quality of our "alpha castings" were very close....anyone who had the oppurtunity to see a few of them at the PRI show could attest to that.

Also, more dissappointing but not really effecting the timeline of the project, is the fact that the dyno testing scheduled for late this month (NOW!), was pushed forward till the 3rd week of Feb. Numerous factors involved here, most of which were outside of AFR's control, but the testing scheduled for later next month will be much more thorough and informative....that much I promise you. I was hoping to at least share promising dyno results now (and finally sink my own teeth into some hard numbers on the dyno....engine and chassis) to at least hold everyone over until we launch production. I know that it would make the wait alot easier on everyone (myself included) to have some idea of the potential the new cylinder head design is capable of. I'm confident it will be impressive....just curious if it will fall short of my expectations or perhaps be slightly higher. Obviously time will tell....we just need a little more patience to finally see the results.

The timeline on the larger 225's is not effected as much....once the major issue is resolved (castings), the release of the 225's will fall slightly behind the 205's. If anything, the delay of the 205's just brought the two products closer together from a timeline perspective. I hadn't expected the release of the 225's until the March/April timeframe anyway.

Will keep everyone posted on how things are progressing....I am not going to "sugarcoat", and if anything will be more conservative with my predictions on product release dates, etc. I will of course share the results of our dyno testing late next month as soon as I have access to the information.

I know I speak for everyone at AFR when I thank you for your patience, and your interest in our newest product. I'm sure this information comes as a disappointment to most (again, myself included), but these are the facts and the last thing we want is rumors of god knows what spreading about the delay of the product. We are much closer to CNC machines humming and brand new AFR "LS" castings all over the floor....its just going to take a little bit longer than our earlier "slightly optimistic" predictions would have it.

Regards to all,
Tony Mamo
Sales/Product Design - AFR
"
Old 01-28-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Junkie

So in other words, August/September

Thanks for the post JmX
Old 01-28-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are these heads really that advanced over the stock worked ones we have already? Are we going to be seeing some 530+rwhp head/cam setups in the future? Maybe some 9 sec packages.....????!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Launching!

For the most part everything I've heard about AFR heads has been great. A user on my board who is an engine builder / machinist had some interesting comments about AFR heads. I'm not sure how this will translate to the new LSx heads but it's something to consider. Of course the proof will be in the product.

http://www.smokemup.com/bb/viewtopic...ighlight=#4465
Old 01-28-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

A positive perspective is always important to creative talent. Delays from time to time in the quest to make sure you've created something worthy of everyones time and money are just a fact of life.

You're concepts in creation of new Corvette and F body heads are cutting edge so sometimes these things happen.

Tony, You should be applauded for not taking the easy way out and producing a product that would not have meet everyones expectations. ..

Looking foward to the final release.

JB

Last edited by JBsZ06; 01-28-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like alot of us,I want to see dyno #'s!!! I've talked to people at AFR and they say there new Head will destroy all..How can they say that if they never tested one yet?
I'm getting discouraged waiting..
Old 01-28-2004, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

The preliminary flow numbers show that this head will make some serious power. This probably will be the set I will go with.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tony do you expect the 225's to be merely weeks behind 205's or short months. MY TT 409 is waiting...but man, gotta tell ya, Im as anxious as you at this point.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Idle speculation on my part...

The delay actually relates to the alpha verison of the AFR being secretly bench marked against ported stock casting by an established porter and the alpha failing to live up to expectations.

The minor tweaks/revisions/improvements that Tony mentions probably relate to tweaking that small cross section area in the port to improve flow. The reason the small cross section needs tweaking/revision is because the great velocity on the flow bench at 28 turned out to be a restriction on a running engine because the engine is moving air at a much faster rate.

I think the 225's will be the ticket more so than the 205's
Old 01-31-2004, 03:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds plausable!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by verbs
So in other words, August/September

Thanks for the post JmX
No, he means March. I was up at their facility this week, and they are that close.

As far as the other negative speculation and opinions in this thread, they are incorrect. Tony is being honest and the minor tweaks don't have a thing to do with sub-optimal flow or performance. I saw the heads vs. what they are shooting for and the castings aren't quite right. As far as the comments on another board smokemup mentioned; I read it and oil drain-back, girdle installation and voids simply aren't an issue on the AFR LSx heads.

I wish I could say more, but that's AFR's place, not mine. These things will be worth the wait.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone have any idea of a price yet?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

No, he means March. I was up at their facility this week, and they are that close = more time to set aside cash.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Idle speculation on my part...

The delay actually relates to the alpha verison of the AFR being secretly bench marked against ported stock casting by an established porter and the alpha failing to live up to expectations.

Where do you get these fantasy ideas from??? Bad drugs???

The smaller AFR 205 heads have surpassed all the popular high 220/low 230 cc intake port "CNC'd" stockers. The AFR 225 series will destroy all comers! Then there's the upcoming AFR 225 blower heads... Time to regroup people...

The minor tweaks/revisions/improvements that Tony mentions probably relate to tweaking that small cross section area in the port to improve flow. The reason the small cross section needs tweaking/revision is because the great velocity on the flow bench at 28 turned out to be a restriction on a running engine because the engine is moving air at a much faster rate.

Totally wrong, again. Track testing will prove this.

I think the 225's will be the ticket more so than the 205's
Totally wrong for the third time. The AFR 205 heads are still a better choice for most applictions except for those big inch strokers.

Have you seen a production or "alpha" or even "beta" test set of AFR LSX heads?
Have you tweaked, reworked or ported a set of AFR LSX heads?
Have you flow tested a set of AFR LSX heads?

Speculation spreads nothing but bull dung...

Ed

Old 01-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scott Turvey
As far as the comments on another board smokemup mentioned; I read it and oil drain-back, girdle installation and voids simply aren't an issue on the AFR LSx heads.
I posted that link because that was the first negative comment I've heard about AFR heads. I hope those issue do not come into play for the LSx heads. I'm very interested in a set myself. The one comment I found interesting is no water is present above the quench area in AFR heads. That explains the thick deck but how does that effect the thermal effeciency (I think that's a good question for TonyM)?

I guess we'll all have to wait and see what they come up with. The great thing about this board is the sponsors are soooooo quick to dyno and post real world results. I know I'll be watching.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks jmX.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EDC

Where do you get these fantasy ideas from??? Bad drugs???

The smaller AFR 205 heads have surpassed all the popular high 220/low 230 cc intake port "CNC'd" stockers.
I've heard the same things.....from different people.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scott Turvey
No, he means March. I was up at their facility this week, and they are that close.

As far as the other negative speculation and opinions in this thread, they are incorrect. Tony is being honest and the minor tweaks don't have a thing to do with sub-optimal flow or performance. I saw the heads vs. what they are shooting for and the castings aren't quite right. As far as the comments on another board smokemup mentioned; I read it and oil drain-back, girdle installation and voids simply aren't an issue on the AFR LSx heads.

I wish I could say more, but that's AFR's place, not mine. These things will be worth the wait.
Plenty of time to speak out on this product but not enough time to return my E-mails or answer this thread specificly for you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback/134120-gen-iii-performance.html
Old 01-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Teching In

as we read, tony is sick right now, not sure when he will be at the flow bench, but hope he gets well fast
Old 01-31-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFR has always delivered a quality product, and I'm sure these heads will be no exception.

Just look at what they did for the LT1/4 program, I have total confidence that AFR will deliver at the time they say.