Sponsored by:

EPS cam and AI ported 243's

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPS cam and AI ported 243's

So on Sunday some woman totaled my 2000 Camaro SS
Anyways I figured since I'm going to be starting from scratch I'm looking to possibly send my heads to get ported by AI and go with and EPS cam. This car will be a DD occational track..looking for 430+ rwhp in Vegas air
Car will be an M6 with an LS6 intake.. Possibly a fast in the far future.
Anyone want to guide me in the right direction. The heads are 243's milled .020 already. I want a cam on a 111LSA or 112 with a high 22X low 23x range.

TO SUM UP FOR THOSE WHO DON't WANT TO READ:
243's milled .020 ported by AI possibly
EPS cam 22X-23X
M6
DD, ocational track
430+ RWHP
on a budget
Steer me in the right direction
Old 12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THATS TERRIBLE! I read your previous build thread, I hate it that camaro is no longer with us. Good luck with the build! Looks like If you went with around a 228 236 cam and ported those heads you currently have youre well within the right range on power
Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

contact Patrick-G for a EPS cam.you will need push rods,timing chain,trunnion bearing upgrades for the stock rockers.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Damn that sucks bro, and you just did the H/C swap.
How did the insurance co treat you, good value for your car? Are you gonna buy it back to strip it? Just curious because you always hear bad stories of insurance co's raping us on these cars. Some ported 243s would be sweet, wish I would have done that before installing them as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do a 226 230 on a 111+2 EPS lobes that thing will rip. The DCR is nice and high for the street. Will make great torque throughout the entire power band and should pull to around 6300 shift aroudnd 6500.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Damn that sucks bro, and you just did the H/C swap.
How did the insurance co treat you, good value for your car? Are you gonna buy it back to strip it? Just curious because you always hear bad stories of insurance co's raping us on these cars. Some ported 243s would be sweet, wish I would have done that before installing them as well.
It's never too late
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure what the insurance company is going to declare it yet. Yeah terrible. it was mint SLP SS with 50k. I feel like I lost my child.

Thanks always2slow I was thinking about that cam..I want to see what these flow then determine it from there. But I want to shift around 6500 or so. Would love a torque monster!

Keep suggestions coming!

Last edited by caseypryan; 12-08-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
THATS TERRIBLE! I read your previous build thread, I hate it that camaro is no longer with us. Good luck with the build! Looks like If you went with around a 228 236 cam and ported those heads you currently have youre well within the right range on power
Yeah man it was devastating for me...I saved all through high school for that car finally bought it and finished modding and building it and then someone who shouldn't be on the road wrecks it.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by caseypryan
I feel like I lost my child.
Prolly shouldn't throw that sentence around

Why the immediate and emminent I want an EPS cam? You had a TR230 (which I thought sounded sick), what was the problem with it? Any reason why you wouldn't give Thunder the first shot at your business? Did you think the cam did anything sub-par? Not trying to preach, just curious. I would look at the line from Thunder or if you are looking broader how about a Cam Motion cam? They have some great shelf cams that come in various lifts to suit your build Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that EPS lobes are the only ones to make power.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might checkout the PRC cylinder heads. For right about $1000 you can get a brand new set of PRC LS6 stage 1 heads with all new parts, and assembled with PRC components! They're currently on special in the sponsor section!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by caseypryan
Yeah man it was devastating for me...I saved all through high school for that car finally bought it and finished modding and building it and then someone who shouldn't be on the road wrecks it.
Man, that's rough. At the same time, it's just a camaro, and you're here posting days later.

Our 243's will work great regardless of cam grind, and we're happy to work with you regardless of what you want to pair the heads with. If we provide the grind, we can put together an ideal setup geared toward whatever power, rpm range, spring maintenance interval, etc. you want. Cams aren't black magic, and we aren't limited to a specific line of lobes, manufacturer, etc. For guys who already have cams, if possible we like for them to be sent in so we can determine what will be a safe chamber volume/valve location to ensure adequate p2v. Beyond that, I'm sure Geoff and others can give you a reference measurement we can work off of. While less than ideal, it won't prevent us from providing a head machined for your specific setup.

Good luck & thanks for your interest!

-Phil
Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

Why the immediate and emminent I want an EPS cam? You had a TR230 (which I thought sounded sick), what was the problem with it? Any reason why you wouldn't give Thunder the first shot at your business? Did you think the cam did anything sub-par? Not trying to preach, just curious. I would look at the line from Thunder or if you are looking broader how about a Cam Motion cam? They have some great shelf cams that come in various lifts to suit your build Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that EPS lobes are the only ones to make power.
Your right eps lobes are not the only ones that make power... but maybe thats not all hes looking for since its a dd! The advantage of the eps lobes is how quiet they are compared to other lobes... not to mention they work well with beehive springs! I know you already know this, im just putting this info out there for others who don't use the search function lol. Not to mention I have seen quite a few eps 226/230 grinds putting down the same numbers that other companies cams in the 230+ range are! Better power range, stealthy idle, quite valvetrain, easy on springs, make great power= No brainer imo!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Absolutely, if we can say EPS lobes are easy on the valvetrain per the amount of power they make, thats great. Then they are perfectly suited for lots of applications. It just seems that there is literally people going so far as to say that EPS (LSG) lobes make more power then any other lobe out there. Which is just plain not true. Pointing out the exact reason why someone suggests a particular lobe or brand of cams is the right way to go. Giving blanket untrue statements is

Squee is who I'm specifically refering to

Also, understand cam power is less lobe and more the person who is specing it knows what the hell they are doing and/or has lots of experience. I think these "lobes" are getting way too much credit. It's pretty obvious that Geoff knows how to spec a cam.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

sucks man i remember you talking about it as we seem to have gotten our cars the same time with the same millage. are u rebuilding it or looking for another one?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Ha well being that I'm only 19 that was what I equate to my child.. your right though.
As far as the cam...it was designed 10 years ago for one, and it's designed around stock heads/intake and I'm straying away from that. But overall I loved that cam. Put about 3000 miles on it and it performed better than a lot of the bigger cammed guys in my area. I'm looking at EPS for Geoff for one and because I'm curious about their cams. Not just about max power etc.

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
Man, that's rough. At the same time, it's just a camaro, and you're here posting days later.

Our 243's will work great regardless of cam grind, and we're happy to work with you regardless of what you want to pair the heads with. If we provide the grind, we can put together an ideal setup geared toward whatever power, rpm range, spring maintenance interval, etc. you want. Cams aren't black magic, and we aren't limited to a specific line of lobes, manufacturer, etc. For guys who already have cams, if possible we like for them to be sent in so we can determine what will be a safe chamber volume/valve location to ensure adequate p2v. Beyond that, I'm sure Geoff and others can give you a reference measurement we can work off of. While less than ideal, it won't prevent us from providing a head machined for your specific setup.

Good luck & thanks for your interest!

-Phil
Yeah I'll be giving you guys a call here in the next few weeks for sure. We can discuss it further from there as far as cam choices.
Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Your right eps lobes are not the only ones that make power... but maybe thats not all hes looking for since its a dd! The advantage of the eps lobes is how quiet they are compared to other lobes... not to mention they work well with beehive springs! I know you already know this, im just putting this info out there for others who don't use the search function lol. Not to mention I have seen quite a few eps 226/230 grinds putting down the same numbers that other companies cams in the 230+ range are! Better power range, stealthy idle, quite valvetrain, easy on springs, make great power= No brainer imo!
^many of these reasons are why I'm looking into them. This isn't a race car by any means.
Originally Posted by disc0monkey
sucks man i remember you talking about it as we seem to have gotten our cars the same time with the same millage. are u rebuilding it or looking for another one?
Yeah I was heart broken I put so much into that car and loved it. I am hoping the insurance company totals it. I already found another one in my area cleaner than mine because it doesn't have any rock chips just like mine except a year newer and 46k miles.

Last edited by caseypryan; 12-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hell Geoff mighta designed it way back when at Thunder. It's kind of ironic isn't it?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

That sucks Casey, your car was way cool. I hope nobody was hurt. Just think how easy your next build will be after the experience you gained!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell Geoff mighta designed it way back when at Thunder. It's kind of ironic isn't it?
Actually, he designed their full line up of cams up until 09' , including the famed TR224 & TREX.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Why the immediate and emminent I want an EPS cam? You had a TR230 (which I thought sounded sick), what was the problem with it? Any reason why you wouldn't give Thunder the first shot at your business? Did you think the cam did anything sub-par?
OP: Sorry to hear about your car man, that's terrible.

FWIW when my engine comes apart for anything I will likely also be switching from my wanna be tr230 to something else because I will be adding lightly worked heads.

The TR230 seemed like a perfect cam for me back when I chose it, but after lucking into a fast intake and now some 799 heads, I think a modern custom specced cam would be better.

The idle does sound pretty sick though and it has an awesome tq curve to haul my heavy Chevelle around
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Ha yeah he did..but I'm sure his knowledge 10 years later is on a whole other level....
Originally Posted by hiltsy855
That sucks Casey, your car was way cool. I hope nobody was hurt. Just think how easy your next build will be after the experience you gained!
Thanks man...I will probably switch over all the parts to the new one so it will be very close to the same. Except a few extra goodies I always come back with vengeance!

Quick Reply: EPS cam and AI ported 243's