Sponsored by:

rotating assembly help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rotating assembly help.

need some help gang.

i currently have $2300 (i can go a little over budget) to spend on purchasing a rotating assembly for my 408 build. i already have a bare lq9 block i got from chris at sdpc.

now tsp does have a rotating assembly kit i can order which i plan to order.
now for the questions

is there really a big difference or benefit of doing the callies compstar crank over the eagle or the callies LSc ?

same question for the rods, callies compstar vs eagle differences? reason to go with one over the other?

I already have H bearings for the mains/rods/cam. also an arp main stud kit.

pistons, i realize the diamond pistons are usually what people go with. but any reason not to pick the wiseco -3cc piston?

also there is an option to balance the rotating assembly for ~$225 should this be done when i order it?

this motor will be NA for a year or so at least. then eventually some nitrous. nothing too big or crazy for a shot. (max 200)

Future stuff (top end):
dont know what ill do for a cam yet. but i do want it to be anywhere between .620-640 range. i havent done much research lately as to what people are making power with on a 408ci motor. so i may need some recommendations on that in the future.

i have LS7 lifters, would rather stay with hydrolic roller rather than solid since this will be a daily driven car (roughly 5 miles a day each way lol)

head recommendations? (looking into a PRC head, just dont know which)

sorry for the rambling guys. now that i sold my old motor/heads im anxious to at least work out my parts list and order in the next few weeks.

Last edited by Raven02TA; 02-28-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went the callies route on my stroker because I believe it to be better quality and tighter tolerances, there are a ton of guys out there with trouble free eagle stuff, I just prefer callies, the Compstar rods are super nice and when building the engine weight matched and measured perfect on mine. I went with wiseco pistons because their quality, once again mine measured and weighed perfect, and they can handle the spray, I bought the ringset they have just for the spray. You definately need to have the assembly balanced MUST HAVE!!!! Just go ahead and have TSP do it so when you get your stuff its ready to go. as far as which heads, talk to TSP about that they know what works and what dont. Solid cams require a lil more maintenance, are harder on the valvetrain, and also require a fully adjustable valvetrain Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

raron, your opinion certainly helps. you told me what my mind was already telling me. but you know its best to get opinions.

any others?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into trickflow heads specifically the 235s. Really can't beat those for the money for what they offer. Eagle stuff is okay and could serve you well but callies is a superior product and could cost less to balance. Check local machine shops I get my stuff balanced for 150. Weiseco pistons are very good so are diamond if you need to save money either one will serve your purpose fine. Just make sure you get the best ring set.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Callies products are definitely easier to work with as far as tolerances and balancing goes. The Compstar LSc crank will work great for your application, and basically any 4340 H-Beam out there as well. You may want to consider going with a 4340 crank so you can have some room to grow into later on, you never know when you might want to put those 350 shot jets in . Add a set of Wiseco pistons and you will have a nice and solid bottom end. Let me know if we can set you up with any of that & balancing.

Jon
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We like to use callies parts in almost all of our motors and rotating assemblies. The finished quality on the parts just seems to be a little better then some of the other brands out there. We also prefer to use Wiseco pistons because of the great deal you can get on them with their steel top rings. They come with a very thick crown so using for power adder later on down the road should not be an issue. Balancing needs to be done before the motor is assembled. We just offer that service if someone wants it done before it leaves our shop. If you are looking at PRC heads I would recommend the 237cc aftermarket casting. Those will be the best heads we can offer for this type of build.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Callies cranks are a good bit lighter than the Eagle cranks. I find it odd not many people mention this.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

What do people think of the Manley cranks?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for chiming in TSP and HKE. i greatly appreciate the help. ill certainly take all of the info i learned here so that when i call to order i know exactly what im going to want. the main reason i asked about the wisecos was because of the deal with the piston rings. the money saved would certainly help me put it towards something more useful.

as it is thankfully my brother called last night. has a full set of clevite H, cam/crank/rod bearings, as well as an arp main stud kit that he is just going to give me. (all brand new in un opened boxed. so it really helps me put that money towards the heads/intake

john@tsp. those prc heads. are they cathedral port or the new oval? curious for when i look into my intake. pretty sure im going vic jr with nitrous outlet elbow.