Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure ? about cammed LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure ? about cammed LS1

Ok I just bought a cammed (among MANY other performance parts) 2000 SS camaro and it of course as many other ive seen on cold start starts to idle real low then pics up but once it does pick up the oil pressure stays low atleast to me it seems to be low like at the first white notch id say the 1/4 mark? I talked to a mechanic and he said its not uncommon for GM's no be that way at idle but the other thing is after i get on it or am running on the interstate for a good ways, if i stop or come to a readlight the pressure drops readl low and the "check guages" light comes on then it pics up and is fine. Is this normal with the idle just dropping so low that it does this till it catches back up or is sumthing wrong? It is not burning or leaking any oil and it was just tuned last week. This is just my first cammed car and it is a lil diff so was wondering if this was maybe just sumthing i need to get accustomed to or is sumthing wrong
Old 04-02-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds really low to me. Def. need to get it checked out. Did you change the oil pump when you did the cam swap?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I didnt do it, I just bought the car and it has a ported ls6 oil pump so shouldnt be a ****. I changed the oil and filter a lil while ago and no probs yet so hopefully itsll be ok. But it runs good as hell. The guy did say he had to change the oil pressure sensor so it may also be bad. I dunno. He also brought it to a tuner and everything was ok. I ran into another guy who said his does the same thing when comming down from high rpms to a stop itll drop reall low then picks up and is fine.....Hmmmmm?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

mine never gets a tick below 40 at idle cold or hot.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Ive read that the oil pressure guage goes bad alot in these cars but if it was just the guage, would the car still almost stall? Also one guy on another forum was saying it may be the idle dropping low that is making the pressure drop then when the idel picks up, it raises back up but I dont know. Oil level is fine and no leaks, just got oil changed yesterday. Ive heard that the o-ring on the oil pump being pinched is very common and will def cause this so it may be that bc the guy i got it from put a ported ls6 oil pump. the car has been drivin like this for a while 80miles a day hwy before i got it and i put 200 on it in 1 1/2 days and it runs like a champ otherwise an no noises or anything and i would think after all that time before i got it and now that it would atleast make a noise if something was really wrong?! Imma get a mechanical guage put on it to see if stock one is faulty and if not the check the o-ring and keep fingers crossed i guess. lol
Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

hook a mechanical gauge up to make sure..... easy thing to do to rule your in car gauge in or out of the equation....
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

yea, def gonna do that
Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Well I checked the oil and it was a lil low and when i toped it off and cranked it the oil pressure was still around 15 or 20 and when i drove it it acted like its supposed to and got up to around 40 and was fine when driving normal. Then on the way back i got on it pretty good at high rpms and then pushed the clutch in to glide to stop and the rpms dropped along w/ the oil pressure guage and check guages came on then picked back up and was fine so i dont know ifits what one other guy on here said about it could be the cam dropping the rpms so low that its making the oil pressure drop as well. But i also cranked it and looked inside the oil fill tude with a light and couldnt see any oil splashing around but it had around 15psi so i dont know!!! Going to the mechanic tomorrow and prayin to baby jesus its not serious bc i just bought the car By the way, its a 2000 SS with AFR 205 heads, Thunder racing trak cam, moser 12bolt rear, eaton posi w 410's, 33 sline uprade, tunes on hp tuners, hooker lts, custom duals over the axle, hurst short throw, allan futral built trans, double roller timing chain, ported ls6 oil pump, im sure missin sumthin.....
Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Default Update

Like I said, goin to the mechanic tomorrow but just took it for a ride again and from cold start to warm idle its around 20-22ish which ive heard some ppl say gm say is perfectly fine an then when i get on it, it oes up about 10psi per 1000rpm which ive seen ppl here say is right but i have kinda narrowed it down to the only time it drops real low is if i get into rpms around 4500 or higher and just push the clutch or put it in nutral then it drops real low along w/ rpm then picks back up. so wondering if its the cam comming down in rpms real fast that the rpms drop then it catches back up and it right back idling at 20-22psi. Also noticed if i rev high rpms and keep it in gear and slow down and not let the roms just drop from 6000 to 800 then its fine also. But the only thing is with it havin a ported ls6 oil pump it should be higher than 20-40ish pretty much no matter how i drive it so i think maybe he pinched the o-ring when he put the OP in and its not flowin right? plus the guage doesnt smoothly go up or down, it studders and goes up 20psi at a time then down 5 then up more, u know..... so it may not be right either. hoping to figure it out before sat for my birthday!!! Thank goodness for the good old honda beater! lol
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Default Oil Press

I had the same problem & had a nick in the o ring on the oil pump. With a good o ring I now run 35-40 at idle & 60 when reved up with a ported LS6 oil pump.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That pressure isnt right.

Im sorry to say that if you put a mechanical gauge on it and it read the same as the stock gauge, the o-ring on the pil pump pick up is probably fucked up. Its very easy to do.

The good thing is that its pretty cheap, the bad is that is a M-F to replace.

Sorry bud
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop driving the car before you mess it up. Your pressure is not okay. You should be around 40 or so idle and 50 to 60 with some rpms.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Car is at the mechanic now. I didnt put a mechanical guage on it yet but im sure the mechanic will and it seems the o-ring is the most common solution to this prob so im hoping thats all it is
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9 times out of 10 its the o ring the other 1/10 is the cam bearings or other stuff.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Well hopefully im in that 90%!!!! lol

Quick Reply: Oil pressure ? about cammed LS1