Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimmed oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shimmed oil pump

I recently installed my cam and double roller timing chain and am having a problem with the oil pump pick up. Everything went fine with this pain in the *** job, but now The oil pump pick up needs to be pulled and streached to fit into it's now extended oil pump recess. Is this why everyone is getting a pinched O ring? I can streach and fit this line, but it will always be under stress. Does anyone know if we can take of the approx 1/8 of an inch off the pump body. Are there any other solutions to this problem? I would gladly buy an aftermarket oil pump if it fit without shimms? Thanks for your wisdom.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problen last time I tried to install a double roller set. We went with a stock LS6 pump and Ls2 timing set and the problem fixed itself.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Well thats not really that much help. How hard is it to drop the oil pan completely? How hard is it to support the motor and drop the K member?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put a double roller on my brothers car like you're saying when we did his heads and cam last fall. His was stretched too. I took all the oil pan bolts loose but never touched the K member. Just so I could lower the oil pan as far as I could for the most room. We kinda had to pry the pickup on to the pump but just lined it up and started the bolt. Just be careful and watch the O ring. Ours worked fine and still is. It took 2 people to do it though.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

if you get the fatter oring (green), really pull on the thing to get it where it should be and slide it in (not pull it in with the bolt) you will be good to go! if you take material off the pump body your clearances will be all wrong. the chain will drag on the back of the pump and the pump will bottom out on the crank snout before you make contact to the block and the balancer will not seat up to the oil pump. Thats what I would assume would happen just sitting here thinking about it at least. basically I wouldnt touch the pump
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the response guys. I know I can pull the pickup into the oil pump body and then tighten up the bolt from there. I just have to think about that stress in the system and wonder how long before the pickup cracks or the O ring leaks. It's a wonder more people don't find a concern with this. Any other solutions?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Does everyone just pull it into place and hope for the best. In the aerospace world that could crash a 747. Might assemble and stress relieve. Make a piece of the intake tube red hot! Reduce the stress a bit and remove that nicely placed bolt once again. Inspect and re-assemble once again. I bet half of all cammed ls1s have this problem. Someone must have a solution. Anyone anything?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

well the completely correct way to do it is drop the pan, and make a second mounting bolt hole for clearance on the pick up tube mount that bolts to the windage tray. Youre right I bet most Ls1s with double rollers do have this problem, but I dont know that its really a problem. if you pull hard enough you can just twist or flex that mount and obtain the same thing. Ill give you the benefit of the doubt that its not exactly the most professional method, but it works. I havent heard of any orings pinching due to this. If you look how it seats in the pump youll notice the stress wouldnt be on the oring, it would be on the pickup tube snout
Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Teching In

You are right it really doesn't matter, it's just un-nearving and not right. I'll pull it tonight. I'm the kind of guy that would rather pull the oil pan and do it right, but believe it or not spring might be here! Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Oh trust me I understand. I want my stuff as perfect as it can be as well. you just have to decide if its worth it. Hopefully you dont have an fbody to pull the oil pan off of. Either way good luck
Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Teching In

It's hard enough to trust myself, but I do appreciate your help. I'm just warped and think about the stress and heat the inlet tube is under at 6800 rpm banging through the gears. Oh what the hell only one in 127 break. Risk it!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

your hands and stress level will thank you! Just pul it out and put it in the the best of your ability and youll be fine!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Teching In

It's together now, and I don't feel good about it. You can bet I'll be watching that oil pressure. Has anyone had a problem with this?
Thanks