Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling idle in gear ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stalling idle in gear ?

I put a little hotter bumpstick in my truck and it stalls sometimes.I read a post awhile back that talked of drilling a hole somewhere to correct that. Where ? What size hole? What if any side effects are expected. Have Edit, but it will be a few days before I can access it.If any of you have solved this problem,I could use some advice. Thanks,Jim
Old 02-21-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

The hole in the center of the throttle body blade can be drilled out to help the idle. If you have edit I'd try that first before drilling out the hole. This would also be a good question to post in the tuning section as someone with LS1edit experience can probably guide you in the right direction with getting the idle dialed in.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
The hole in the center of the throttle body blade can be drilled out to help the idle. If you have edit I'd try that first before drilling out the hole. This would also be a good question to post in the tuning section as someone with LS1edit experience can probably guide you in the right direction with getting the idle dialed in.
How large a hole? How could that have an ill effect on anything other than full choke startup. Edit is risky business, warnings all over it,I am going to adjust by small % multipiers at most.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

You would rather drill into your trunk than edit the computer? O.K....

I just put in a 224/228 114 with large lift and my tuner has "almost" got it to idle in gear. P and N are fine. It does not stall like 90% of the time. If I could send him the IAC info it wouls be done by now.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

I think most folks go 1/64 bigger at a time if they drill.

Why would edit be risky?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Debian Dog]You would rather drill into your trunk than edit the computer? O.K....

What is the IAC info?
I wasn't planing to drill very much,but it is said to work. Mine to only stalls
occationally,not even 10% of the time. On the PCM tuning forum I was told "Edit is brain sugery" "don't learn as you go" warning warning.A lot of free advice is worth the money,and some is good advice. I'll wade through enough of it get an answer I can use,they're some very smart people on this forum and a little hot air.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

IAC=Idle Air Control

Edit is like brain Surgery but the good news is if you screw it up you can put the brain back in I do not have LS1edit myself (I am waiting for a new product that works with my EFIlive scanner) but if you were to get edit. I am sure a lot of folks in the PCM tuning section would help you. Right now I am doing custom tunes from a predator. Slow process via e-mail. Looking forward to being able to screw it up myself.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you can drill the hole a little bigger, but how much depends on the cam, and you didn't give the specs. With edit, you you can increase the idle speed and ignition timing below 1200 rpm; all this together will make it idle right.