Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of Gold shavings in oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lots of Gold shavings in oil filter?

OK, so I am worried about this one.

So I changed the oil today, nothing speciail until I put the used filter on the lip thing in the oil pan that lets it drain.

After I got the car off the stands and put the tools away I was going to put the drain pan away and there was a big trail of shiny gold shavings going down the pan.

Anybody know what this could be? The motor feels strong, but yesterday it only had like 10-15 of oil pressure. It sounds ok, so I dont think it is a bearing.

Recently, I had the crank pulley come loose, I had to have the threads cleaned up to get the crankbolt back in.

Is there anyway this could be related? I dont think that oil gets up on the front of the crank where the bolt screws in.

Any help would be appreciated
Matt
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot to add that this is a forged H/C/I 383 if that matters
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Shavings....low oil pressure.....

Sounds like a rebuild is in your near future!

If you don't have any main or rod knock (yet) the shavings are probably cam bearings.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are three possible things that could be happening if there is gold (brass bearing races) in the oil:

1) A main bearing is trashed
2) A rod bearing is trashed
3) A cam bearing is trashed

The bearing will slowly disintegrate over the next few hundred/thousand miles until it locks or spins. At this point you will hear a horrific noise of screeching and crunching metal as your engine consumes itself and migrates toward LS1 heaven. Keep in mind depending on which bearing spins it has potential to scrap everything from the block-rods-crank-heads-valves-cam-main caps-lifters-pistons-timing set. I would rebuild sooner rather than later if there is a serious amount of material. But yea with LSK lobes and the way your cam had to be pulled once already (in combination with the fact that you have idiots working on your car) I bet the cam bearings are eating themselves.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of the main & rod bearings I've seen are silver colored.
Cam bearings are brass (gold) colored.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
There are three possible things that could be happening if there is gold (brass bearing races) in the oil:

1) A main bearing is trashed
2) A rod bearing is trashed
3) A cam bearing is trashed

The bearing will slowly disintegrate over the next few hundred/thousand miles until it locks or spins. At this point you will hear a horrific noise of screeching and crunching metal as your engine consumes itself and migrates toward LS1 heaven. Keep in mind depending on which bearing spins it has potential to scrap everything from the block-rods-crank-heads-valves-cam-main caps-lifters-pistons-timing set. I would rebuild sooner rather than later if there is a serious amount of material. But yea with LSK lobes and the way your cam had to be pulled once already (in combination with the fact that you have idiots working on your car) I bet the cam bearings are eating themselves.
^This

Originally Posted by gMAG
All of the main & rod bearings I've seen are silver colored.
Cam bearings are brass (gold) colored.
The main and rod bearings are coated in something like tin and lead. They are brass or copper underneath. All of the cam bearings I have seen appear to be the same as the rod and main bearings. I haven't seen any cam bearings that were brass colored (not saying that there are none like that).
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it apart you are finished. Keep driving it and you will have even more trouble.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like its back to the Schwinn for me. No funds for a rebuild.

Assuming it is a cam bearing, the bottom end should be ok right?

Or would it be smarter to pull the whole thing and go through all the bearings?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the whole thing. No way around it.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002silverz28matt
I forgot to add that this is a forged H/C/I 383 if that matters
Who built this forged motor and how many miles are on it?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yup time to pull it out.......gold shavings are probably the backing of the tri metal bearings im assuming that are in the bottom end.......clearances opend way up and the pressure is down.......
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

The motor has 15,000 on it, zero passes, but I open it up on the street. I am not going to say who built it, dont want to get into that.

The question I have is should a bearing be going out like this after 15K???

I have heard that 383's are hard on the rings becasue of the stroke compared to bore, but what about the bearings? I would think this shouldnt happen??

Thanks for all the replies,
Matt
Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PowellSixO
^This

The main and rod bearings are coated in something like tin and lead. They are brass or copper underneath. All of the cam bearings I have seen appear to be the same as the rod and main bearings. I haven't seen any cam bearings that were brass colored (not saying that there are none like that).
Depends on the brand of bearings.
King main & rod bearings, for example, have no visible copper or brass (at least, mine don't). While there is copper in the alloy, the babbitt appears silver. The backing has no visible copper appearance.
The OEM cam bearings on my engine are dominated by copper, and appear gold.
As quik95 mentioned, tri-metal types can have a copper backing.
The question is, how deep is the wear.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The motor has 15,000 on it, zero passes, but I open it up on the street. I am not going to say who built it, dont want to get into that.

I have heard that 383's are hard on the rings becasue of the stroke compared to bore, but what about the bearings? I would think this shouldnt happen??

Matt

It's the combo of low pressure & gold flakes that is concerning. If just gold flakes & normal pressure, I'd say to just keep an eye on things. Since there are two indicators (low pressure & flakes), it's time to have a look @ all of the bearings.

No, bearings should not just go within 15k miles. A well built, well tuned engine should run 200K miles easily; depending on its' use.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Matt
no way......if it was a 900 NA motor spinning 9000rpm sure i could see it......but off your mods no way......i put over 500 passes on my lt1 and about 4k miles on the street in two years.......twists over 8krpm.....i took it apart for inspection.......my bearings looked so good i wanted to put them back in lol...(which id never do).......

Name:  IMG_20110105_214310.jpg
Views: 8866
Size:  68.4 KB

Quick Reply: Lots of Gold shavings in oil filter?