Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Such a thing as a cam thats "to" big?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Such a thing as a cam thats "to" big?

Is there a thing as having a cam thats to big ? I have stock heads now and was going to port them. Then i decided not to because i want to be able to put them back on my car and say their stock. The cam is rated with the following:

Duration - I 244 E 252
Lift @ .50" - I .560 E .575

I do plan on getting a set of AFR's or some stage III GTP heads. Cam too big to put in without heads? Cam still to big? Or will everything work out fine?

-Scott

'95 Firehawk. Red on red.
*BMR LCA's - Nitto 555's - HAL springs and shocks on the way*
Old 04-06-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Absolutely, yes. For example, the more boost I develop, the less duration I need in my LS1 cam. And my guess is that that is counterintuitive for most racers.

Actually, the relationship described above between duration and boost is probably parabolic is nature. College was a long time ago.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So your saying this cam is not a good choice on my part?

-Scott

'95 Firehawk. Red on red. M6
**Nitto 555's - BMR LCA's - HAL Generation F series shocks/front springs on the way **
Old 04-07-2004, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it isn't possible for a cam to be "to big" because that doesn't make any sense as a sentence.

Oh, you mean "too big."

Yes, it could be so big that you have to fly cut the pistons to clear the valves. I could be so big that your power band is too high to use. If you're running boost, it could bleed off your boost with overlap.

So it depends on your application.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

What LSA on the cam above?

With stock cubes it would have to be 110 or less with advance ground in if you want some semblance of a normal rpm range

Old 04-07-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
In what post? The very first one?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95_Firehawk_Dude
In what post? The very first one?
Yes the only post specs are mentioned
Old 04-07-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Is there a thing as having a cam thats to big?"

Sure, look at all of the heads/cam LS1s with giant drivability killing cams running high 11s (AACK!!) or even 12s in some cases I've seen (DOUBLE AAACK!!!). You can run those kind of times with the stock cam.

How big is too big depends sooooooooooo much on the setup. Too little stall and/or gearing will make a large cam car run like an absolute turd on the track, for example.

I'm not against big cams...but if I'm going to use one I'm going to use it right.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
"Is there a thing as having a cam thats to big?"

Sure, look at all of the heads/cam LS1s with giant drivability killing cams running high 11s (AACK!!) or even 12s in some cases I've seen (DOUBLE AAACK!!!). You can run those kind of times with the stock cam.

How big is too big depends sooooooooooo much on the setup. Too little stall and/or gearing will make a large cam car run like an absolute turd on the track, for example.

I'm not against big cams...but if I'm going to use one I'm going to use it right.
yep lots of gear, lots of converter, lots of revs
Old 04-07-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360

And my set up right now is mild, but i'm looking at the big picture. I was origionally going to boost (and i know that cam is too big for that) but i'm thinking now just straight power out of a head/cam car.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Not if you believe too big is just the right size. Ask any girl and she'll tell ya..... size matters.

This is when you say, WTF is he talking about? Well it's all subjective. In the end.... there is no such thing as 'too big' , it's all relative to it's intended use. So we pick cams based on usage not size, just like some girls.

You don't date a nympho if you don't plan on doin' her every night, and you don't pick a big ol' cam if you are not going to put your foot in it every time you drive it.

So if you want to live with a soggy bottom end, ruff idle, no power till about 3500 rpm and run it up to about 6500 each time, than no..... it's not to big.
If you don't, than yes... it's too big.

Now! lets go have a beer and find us some weminz and test that theory
Old 04-07-2004, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by glen
Not if you believe too big is just the right size. Ask any girl and she'll tell ya..... size matters.

This is when you say, WTF is he talking about? Well it's all subjective. In the end.... there is no such thing as 'too big' , it's all relative to it's intended use. So we pick cams based on usage not size, just like some girls.

You don't date a nympho if you don't plan on doin' her every night, and you don't pick a big ol' cam if you are not going to put your foot in it every time you drive it.

So if you want to live with a soggy bottom end, ruff idle, no power till about 3500 rpm and run it up to about 6500 each time, than no..... it's not to big.

Great analogy
Old 04-07-2004, 08:13 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by glen

Old 04-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95_Firehawk_Dude
Is there a thing as having a cam thats to big ? I have stock heads now and was going to port them. Then i decided not to because i want to be able to put them back on my car and say their stock. The cam is rated with the following:

Duration - I 244 E 252
Lift @ .50" - I .560 E .575

I do plan on getting a set of AFR's or some stage III GTP heads. Cam too big to put in without heads? Cam still to big? Or will everything work out fine?

-Scott

'95 Firehawk. Red on red.
*BMR LCA's - Nitto 555's - HAL springs and shocks on the way*
Just to get things straight, you have a 95 Firehawk (i.e. LT1)? No mention of headers. That cam is way too big for stock LT1 heads and iron manifolds. The heads won't flow at that high a lift, there is very poor exhaust flow (very restrictive manifold), and that much duration will kill your low end and idle. Just my opinion.