Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam question

Torquer V2 with a 112 lsa

or

G5x2 with a 114 lsa

Mods in the sig, but quickly for those on cell phones: Livernois Stg 2 243s, Fast 90/NW 92, "Svede" OTR, Kooks, Corsa, and I plan on a SD tune.

Did I miss anything? Oh it's thru a M6.

I want something with a smooth idle and I know the 114 would be better but the 112 isn't far off, so I'm wondering which will be better from 2500-5500 rpm. Dyno numbers aren't a big deal, real street power is, but I do NOT want to be pulling up to my daughters school at 7am with a choppy, loud idle. It's a DD if you didn't get the reference. If the a higher lobe like a 114 is the only way to get a smooth(stock like idle) then I'll go that route and maybe get a custom cam cut.

Thanks in advance.

- I had originally put this in the external engine section by accident
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Just get a custom cam spec'd with a 116 LSA.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Geoff at EPS is another choice
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Custom cam is probably the only way to ensure I get a have smooth, "quiet" idle, not that my will ever be quiet with basically straight pipes.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there's your problem. By don't ou quiet down your exhaust, then add e cutouts for when you wanna be badd. You can then put whatever cam you want on there.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Well, there's your problem. By don't ou quiet down your exhaust, then add e cutouts for when you wanna be badd. You can then put whatever cam you want on there.
Is there any performance gain? My car is quiet enough to get through the dropoff lane without causing a commotion when I baby her.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 420gto
Is there any performance gain? My car is quiet enough to get through the dropoff lane without causing a commotion when I baby her.
Well, yeah. I would worry about overlap if you're really concerned about driveability. But if that's not a big issue for you, and you are rather worried about the sound/volume, then take care of your exhaust first. You can get it really quiet with the right exhaust setup. Then you can cam the car for what your needs are.

With a fatty like the GTO (I say this as the owner of a 4000lbs pig myself), you will need some overlap to motivate her at lower rpms.

Talk to a someone like Martin at Tick or Ed Curits at FTI. They will steer you to the right cam. Then put a resonated X-pipe on your exhaust and e-cutouts.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Ed at flowtechinduction I'm sure he can get you just what you are looking for either in something off the shelf or custom ground
Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Well, yeah. I would worry about overlap if you're really concerned about driveability. But if that's not a big issue for you, and you are rather worried about the sound/volume, then take care of your exhaust first. You can get it really quiet with the right exhaust setup. Then you can cam the car for what your needs are.

With a fatty like the GTO (I say this as the owner of a 4000lbs pig myself), you will need some overlap to motivate her at lower rpms.

Talk to a someone like Martin at Tick or Ed Curits at FTI. They will steer you to the right cam. Then put a resonated X-pipe on your exhaust and e-cutouts.
I'm worried about driveability and sound as I want a good driving cam that doesn't make my car any louder. I like how loud it is now, but I think any louder would be annoying.

Originally Posted by 04goat350
Contact Ed at flowtechinduction I'm sure he can get you just what you are looking for either in something off the shelf or custom ground
I'm going to shoot him a email. I already reached out CompleteStreetPerformance because they have done good work with GTOs as well. CSP agreed with most of the guys I've talked to that a intake duration starting in the 227-232 range with a big lobe would be needed for good street manners. So I'll see what Ed has to say.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 420gto
Torquer V2 with a 112 lsa

or

G5x2 with a 114 lsa

Mods in the sig, but quickly for those on cell phones: Livernois Stg 2 243s, Fast 90/NW 92, "Svede" OTR, Kooks, Corsa, and I plan on a SD tune.

Did I miss anything? Oh it's thru a M6.

I want something with a smooth idle and I know the 114 would be better but the 112 isn't far off, so I'm wondering which will be better from 2500-5500 rpm. Dyno numbers aren't a big deal, real street power is, but I do NOT want to be pulling up to my daughters school at 7am with a choppy, loud idle. It's a DD if you didn't get the reference. If the a higher lobe like a 114 is the only way to get a smooth(stock like idle) then I'll go that route and maybe get a custom cam cut.

Thanks in advance.

- I had originally put this in the external engine section by accident
You're not going to get "stock like idle" from either one of those cams even with a 118 lsa, an then the power band would be high as hell so it would totally suck a DD. You need to be looking a lot smaller cams with at least some negative overlap.
IMO, the EPS TT2 cam would be a good choice, along with the Tick Street Heat Stage 1.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?a...od&productId=5
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...1-ls6-engines/

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-11-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You're not going to get "stock like idle" from either one of those cams even with a 118 lsa, an then the power band would be high as hell so it would totally suck a DD. You need to be looking a lot smaller cams with at least some negative overlap.
IMO, the EPS TT2 cam would be a good choice, along with the Tick Street Heat Stage 1.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?a...od&productId=5
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...1-ls6-engines/
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Quick Reply: Cam question