Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting new engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting new engine

how long after you assemble an engine can you wait to start it, like if you were collecting parts to finish to build?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All depends on how you prepared it for storage while waiting to complete it. What lube did you use for the bearings and such?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't started
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using a lube called Red Line and it sticks to the bearing surfaces really nicely. You can get a jar from TSP. I also mix Lucas Oil Stabilizer (100% Petro) with some regular motor oil and use that in the crevasses that can be hard to reach. I also squirt a little oil onto the thrust bearing after installing the crank to make sure that it stays happy. Be liberal with the stuff if you plan on having it sit for an extended period. I am looking at next summer starting my engine for the first time if everything goes the way I plan, and I should have a short block by the end of the week if my ring compressor comes in
Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

just make sure to use a good assembly lube... and don't put oil in it till your ready to start it..

Once your ready to start, you can open each valve cover and pour the oil evenly across the valvetrain on each side of the engine to make sure your all lubed up for start up.. bolt them back up and go..

atleast that's what Im going to do, make sure you put some assembly lube on the ends of the pushrods, rocker tips both side..

don't go all crazy with the assembly lube, and do not put any on your cylinder walls or your rings will not seal properly..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I suggest what They all said and put a good amount of assembly lube in the oil pump ,,,,,,that will help to suck up the oil quicker on start up ,,,,,,or pre pressurize the oil with an external pump of some sort right before and during initial start up
Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
I suggest what They all said and put a good amount of assembly lube in the oil pump ,,,,,,that will help to suck up the oil quicker on start up ,,,,,,or pre pressurize the oil with an external pump of some sort right before and during initial start up
You can do this or pull the fuel pump fuse when youre ready to start it and turn the key a few times to build up pressure
Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I built my shortblock about 11 months before I swapped it.

after the swap, I ran the starter with the spark plugs out for about 30 seconds. After that it sat for about a week, then on actual 1st startup I had oil pressure in 3-4 seconds.

Quick Reply: Starting new engine