Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads and exhaust tone ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads and exhaust tone ?

im looking into doing some head work...like a port and polish on my stock ones or buying P&P heads or stage II's...and was wondering

would doing that change my exhaust tone...i kno a camshaft would change the tone of the exhaust so i have seen that headwork does some nice improvements also...so i was hoping that it owuldnt.....the only reason im not sure is bcuz i kno they sell head and cam packages so i assumed that it might

if it would change the tone...would it be better or worse with my exhaust setup?
Old 05-12-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Some people usually hear a difference in their exhaust note after any kind of work that changes the way the engine is working. Something more major like head work could have a noticable effect.Hearing things is highly subjective.

I know if I change jetting on my bike the exhaust note will change. It actually changes enough to be immediately recognizable.

As for it being better or worse that's really base on personal preference so I can't say.
The best thing you can do is listen to somenoe elses car with the type of work you want to have performed.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

well by me theres really NOBODY that will mod there LS1's so basically all LS1's except for 1 Corvette are stock...soo yeah i dont have any1 to here...the closest was an LT1 and he no longer has the LT1 hes got an LT4 so hes out of the question the exhaust tones sem so much more different then LS1's and he has the same exhaust set-up i do...like its close but you can hear the difference...now that he has the LT4 its alot more similar to mine...

does anyone have experience in this area of jsut head work?

thanks in advance
Old 05-19-2004, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

basically all i want to kno is what would make my LM sound somewhat like GMMG does with the stock car....ya kno in other words BETTER lol...with head work...i really dont want to touch the cam...jsut the heads...would the P&P heads cause more rasp? more drone? less rasp? less drone? more throat? its really a mmod im looking into
Old 05-19-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

my guess is it wouldnt change much if anything because you are running the stock cam, and exhaust manifolds.

LM will sound like a LM because of the design. It will never sound like a GMMG. two different setups
Old 05-19-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
basically all i want to kno is what would make my LM sound somewhat like GMMG does with the stock car....ya kno in other words BETTER
The only way to make your exhaust sound like the GMMG is to get a GMMG cat back or buy mufflers such as the the ones Stainless steel or Sweet-Thunder sell.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Increasing the compression will change the exhaust tone the most from the heads. A ported head with stock compression won't change the sound at all.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't buy a set of heads just to change the exhaust tone though. I mean, it's not like they're a cheap mod, plus all the work involved. If you're going to do heads, you might as well swap that stock cam out too so you can take advantage of your freer (might not even be a word) flowing heads. You can buy a cam with a high lsa and it won't have that lopey sound, if that's what you're into. You mentioned you wanted your exhaust to sound sort of like a GMMG. What if you just buy a muffler for it and replace the LM resonator?