Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS_1 Death ...Your Best Guess?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS_1 Death ...Your Best Guess?

This motor always had piston-slap at idle. The #7 Cylinder appears like pre-detonation? ...to me. Why? ...the heavy carbon/oil residue on lower side of other cylinders?

Anyone with extensive engine failure knowledge? ...care to take an educated guess? If it's a fuel delivery problem? ...I would hate to have a re-inactment of this senario with the next longblock. Lubricant was 5-30W Mobile 1, changed consistantly.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What mods. Bad tune? not enough fuel and too much iming.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of hard to tell. Shadows and lighting can hide or make certain things stand out to much. To me #7 looked like it had a trainload of detonation going on w/ the way the top of the piston is pock marked. the others look like they have ALOT of carbon buildup and oil in them. Maybe the PCV wasnt working well and blow more than normal amounts of oil into the intake track. This might explain the detonation, to much oil will lower the octane value in the fuel causing the detonation.

those are just my thoughts. I am FAR from an authority on this.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just FYI, #7 is pretty much always the leanest cylinder.

Maybe my monitor sucks, but what burn pattern are you talking about? All I see is the shape of the piston, with the 'heart' shape of where the clearance for the valves would be.

Could have busted that injector and leaned the crap out of that cylinder.

It's pretty normal to see carbon buildup on the pistons from oil, with the stock PCV setup.

What mods? Nitrous? What were the symptoms leading up to this? I imagine there must have been a lot of detonation.

Dope
Old 07-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Engine is Stock, No-Mods, Daily Driver. Oil usage varied between 1-2 qts. every 2 weeks.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

OUCH that's a lot of oil!

Originally Posted by sstv
Engine is Stock, No-Mods, Daily Driver. Oil usage varied between 1-2 qts. every 2 weeks.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Launching!

I just find it hard to believe that a stock engine with no mods would do that. To me it looks like those cylinders leaned out way to much and burned those pistons, same as what the other guys think. I've seen that kind of damage with extreme nitrous setups where guys would literally burn holes right through pistons.

I just don't see how an un-modified engine could do that unless something somewhere let go. How as the car running before you tore apart the engine?
Old 07-20-2004, 03:32 AM
TECH Resident

At first glance I thought you were running a dry nitrous kit and that cylinder got way to much nitrous and not enough gas but after seeing your post, I think it was a bad injector. The other cylinders look like they were burning oil for a long time.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The burn marks look like they are from the vavles in a way. Where the burn starts on the bottom of the pistons is where the least amount of air hits. Sens when the vavle opens the air hits the top of the piston the most.(does this make sence).

Damn man i have never seen that much oil on the surface of the pistons and on the surface of the block. Look like you just pored it there.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:17 AM
Pathological Modifier

The marks you have labled are the normal burn pattern for these engines. It should make sence, the quench is very tight at that part of the piston. All of the air/fuel is in the chanber near TDC and as the piston starts its travel down the flame front moves out to the top of the piston from the bottom.

Your Oil consumption was definatly too high, I would atribute your failure to detonation from oil contamination. How does the bearing look?

Ryan K.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Launching!

It isn't normal to burn the piston bad enough to expose the first ring...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:45 AM
Pathological Modifier

The piston is not burned to expose the first ring, ITS BROKEN.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:05 AM
8 second mod

Its normal to brake a pistion yes, but on a stock block. not so comon placed imo.
My stock turbo motor with almost 50k 15 being with well over 500 rwhp looked better then that. I did have the eye brows from the valves to.
That sucks.