Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 "style" heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 "style" heads?

Do all aftermarket LS6 heads begin life as GM LS6 heads or do the companies cast their own. Take THESE for example. Are they true GM heads with added goodies, or are they made by Patriot Perf. from scratch?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:22 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PP uses Lq9 castings (6.0) heads which flow better then 5.3/5.7 castings but not as much as true 243 ls6 casts. All heads besides AFR are GM castings.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn, jrp answered w/o saying to go search?

AFR is the only company SO FAR that casts their own heads. edlebrock/linghenfelter are currently R&D'ing their own castings as well. PP's LS6 style head is a great bang for the buck, it flows pretty well, and its cheap(as performance heads go). however as more cars get LS6 castings stock, the LS6 castings should go down in price(as they will flood the market, won't be such an exsclusive item). also the competition provided by edlebrock should help with prices as well(i'm hoping anyway).
Old 08-22-2004, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for the info.
Just for the record, I did do a search....just for JRP's sanity.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i just got off the phone with a guy from PP and we talked about the LS6 style (LQ9 heads) and he said it was basicly the same as the LS6 head but with bigger combustion chamber BUT that they could do that head in a 64 or 58 or 59 i think if you want

so im assuming that it is every bit as good as the LS6 head if they can bring the comustion chamber back to the same size as the LS6

he said that hey dont shave the head to do it but rather build the chamber up and then use the cnc machine to machine the combustion chamber to whatever it needs to be
Old 09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
i just got off the phone with a guy from PP and we talked about the LS6 style (LQ9 heads) and he said it was basicly the same as the LS6 head but with bigger combustion chamber BUT that they could do that head in a 64 or 58 or 59 i think if you want

so im assuming that it is every bit as good as the LS6 head if they can bring the comustion chamber back to the same size as the LS6

he said that hey dont shave the head to do it but rather build the chamber up and then use the cnc machine to machine the combustion chamber to whatever it needs to be
how would they blend in the welds with out a little surfacing tho. i just bought some used ones my self and after cleaning them up, you cant even tell that they are welded. although you can see that they have been CNC'd with the lines it leaves.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

taqwache, didn't you get pdd's vavlve damaged set? how bad was the damage? seats have to be reworked or anything?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by taqwache
how would they blend in the welds with out a little surfacing tho. i just bought some used ones my self and after cleaning them up, you cant even tell that they are welded. although you can see that they have been CNC'd with the lines it leaves.

We begin with a GM OEM LQ9 raw casting. These castings are +.050 on deck hieght. We then weld up these heads, heat treat to OEM specs, and machine them. During the machining process, .040 is taken off the deck. This leaves us .010 to mill for clean up after our CNC work is finished. This makes our process unique in that after all of our maching and CNC work is done, our heads are still at the factory deck hieght. No other company using GM castings can achieve this.

We believe that with our free MLS 6.0 head gaskets and new head bolts included with every set of heads, that our products give you the most power gained per dollar spent!!
Old 09-02-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GUNNAR@PATRIOT
We begin with a GM OEM LQ9 raw casting. These castings are +.050 on deck hieght. We then weld up these heads, heat treat to OEM specs, and machine them. During the machining process, .040 is taken off the deck. This leaves us .010 to mill for clean up after our CNC work is finished. This makes our process unique in that after all of our maching and CNC work is done, our heads are still at the factory deck hieght. No other company using GM castings can achieve this.

We believe that with our free MLS 6.0 head gaskets and new head bolts included with every set of heads, that our products give you the most power gained per dollar spent!!
thats pretty sweet, i didn't know thats the process the heads went through. good to know though.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
taqwache, didn't you get pdd's vavlve damaged set? how bad was the damage? seats have to be reworked or anything?
yup, those are the ones. they had a few bent intake valves but i am replaceing all of them with new ferra intakes. the exhuast are still ok. all the seats will need to be machined to seal the valves and while i am at it, going to have the exhuast done also. also going to smooth out all the ports to a race type finish, deshroud them to a 4" bore, replace the springs with cranes and put in new seals. i am not sure which springs it has but if they are the golds the gold finish must of come off. eather way there getting replaced for safety. for the price, it was a very good deal

steve
Old 09-02-2004, 01:26 PM
FormerVendor

yup, those are the ones. they had a few bent intake valves but i am replaceing all of them with new ferra intakes. the exhuast are still ok. all the seats will need to be machined to seal the valves and while i am at it, going to have the exhuast done also. also going to smooth out all the ports to a race type finish, deshroud them to a 4" bore, replace the springs with cranes and put in new seals. i am not sure which springs it has but if they are the golds the gold finish must of come off. eather way there getting replaced for safety. for the price, it was a very good deal

steve

You should consider putting the golds on it. They are one of the best on the market!! Complete kit with ti keepers, super 7 locks, viton rubber seals, and bases for only $295.00.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GUNNAR@PATRIOT
You should consider putting the golds on it. They are one of the best on the market!! Complete kit with ti keepers, super 7 locks, viton rubber seals, and bases for only $295.00.
i already have the ti retainers, locks, and bases. do you sell the springs by them self for less. the reason i was going to use the cranes was because i already have them on my car right now and have not had any problems with them. also there only 4 months old.

another question. could you tell me what kind of springs these heads have on them. they were bought in november last year.

thanks steve.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

why don't you like the gold finish? i think they look kinda pimp
Old 09-02-2004, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
why don't you like the gold finish? i think they look kinda pimp
i ment that it must of came off because there not gold anymore. or they might of been the other springs they had before the golds. it does not really mader but i just wanted to replace them to be safe. i am not even sure why they bent valves to be honest.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

pdd bent the valves b/c he mis-shifted and over-revved the engine. he had installed an different shifter i do believe, and on the way to work he was playing around and was not used to it, resulted in a missed **** = overrevved motor = kissed pistons. you can ask pdd, but i think thats pretty much what happened. but i understand what you meant now about the gold coming off. i didn't eat my wheaties this morning, so i'm a little slow today.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i already have the ti retainers, locks, and bases. do you sell the springs by them self for less. the reason i was going to use the cranes was because i already have them on my car right now and have not had any problems with them. also there only 4 months old.

another question. could you tell me what kind of springs these heads have on them. they were bought in november last year.

thanks steve.

The springs were crane duals.Call me,I can get you just springs that will work with your current retainers and seat bases.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:49 PM
FormerVendor

thanks steve.
Patriot Golds will not work with the locks and retainers you currently have.

I believe you would be much happier with our custom designed, race-proven .650" golds than with an "off the shelf" spring.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

cool man, i will let ya know how it goes with them.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a spring that will work with your current locks,retainers and seat bases.Contact me for more information on what springs that will work with what retainer.

Last edited by Terry@RacetechSpeed; 09-02-2004 at 03:58 PM.