Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes 1 sponsor's LS6 ported oil pump different from another?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 04:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What makes 1 sponsor's LS6 ported oil pump different from another?

Also, why is it so popular? (used by many of the sponsors) Does anyone make an aftermarket unit? Whats the difference between the LS6 oil pump and the LS1 oil pump? Lastly, whats the difference between a ported LS6 oil pump and an unmodified one? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why?

Quoting jMx's website:
"Why change out my oil pump?". Well, there are 2 reasons for this. First off, it seems a lot of the 2000 and before oil pumps have an issue that causes them to totally lose pressure, which then causes your motor to tear itself up due to lack of lubrication. Secondly, some people like to have a bit higher oil pressure than stock just to be on the safe side"

Does anyone make an aftermarket unit?

Yes, Melling. The only difference is that the oil pump housing is made of iron instead of aluminum. It makes it more resilient to engine torques and variances in stresses, but not really proven a necessity over the aluminum housing ones (all the other stock ones). We have LS1s putting out over 1000 RWHP running the regular oil pumps (stock housing and internals).

Difference in the LS1 and LS6 pump?

Nothing.

Difference b/w ported and non-ported?

One is ported for increased flow. The amount of flow increased is nill. Mainly the casting flash is removed from the inlet port on the oil pump making for a smooth passage for the oil to flow through. Does it help? Probably not, but it helps sell a LOT of oil pumps. Does it hurt? It can if it's not done correctly. For instance, if the machinists doesn't get the casting flash very smooth or nicks or galls the mating surface up where the oil pickup tube mates up to the oil pump inlet it can damage/ruin the o-ring that is b/w the pickup tube and oil pump. This happened to mine and caused low hot oil pressure problems.

All this info can be found if you search.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

PS, you will not get an increase in oil pressure unless you get a oil pumped with a shimmed relief valve spring.

Porting does NOT increase your oil pressure.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well since I was going to go with the T-Rex cam, I was going to get most of the rest of the parts for the swap from Thunder Racing and wasnt sure if I should get the LS6 ported pump from them. Wasnt sure if one company's ported LS6 pump was better than the other. I know a lot of people buy the one from Texas Speed & Peformance and that is why I figured one company's could be better. Does the ported LS6 pumps that the sponsors offer have the shimmed valve spring?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i sit at 40psi at idle and over 75 when driving around. its on my stock 00 oil pump with 40k miles. is that fine?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
i sit at 40psi at idle and over 75 when driving around. its on my stock 00 oil pump with 40k miles. is that fine?
yes.

****. there. i've met my minimum message length. i hate that crap.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL

Nothing.
I was under the impression that the LS6 pump, provided more flow at higher rpms and that the porting was just so-so and didnt really help much.
Are the effectively the same pumps?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by waiz1
I was under the impression that the LS6 pump, provided more flow at higher rpms and that the porting was just so-so and didnt really help much.
Are the effectively the same pumps?
In a nut shell, yes.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

Why?

Quoting jMx's website:
"Why change out my oil pump?". Well, there are 2 reasons for this. First off, it seems a lot of the 2000 and before oil pumps have an issue that causes them to totally lose pressure, which then causes your motor to tear itself up due to lack of lubrication. Secondly, some people like to have a bit higher oil pressure than stock just to be on the safe side"

Does anyone make an aftermarket unit?

Yes, Melling. The only difference is that the oil pump housing is made of iron instead of aluminum. It makes it more resilient to engine torques and variances in stresses, but not really proven a necessity over the aluminum housing ones (all the other stock ones). We have LS1s putting out over 1000 RWHP running the regular oil pumps (stock housing and internals).

Nothing.

Difference b/w ported and non-ported?

One is ported for increased flow. The amount of flow increased is nill. Mainly the casting flash is removed from the inlet port on the oil pump making for a smooth passage for the oil to flow through. Does it help? Probably not, but it helps sell a LOT of oil pumps. Does it hurt? It can if it's not done correctly. For instance, if the machinists doesn't get the casting flash very smooth or nicks or galls the mating surface up where the oil pickup tube mates up to the oil pump inlet it can damage/ruin the o-ring that is b/w the pickup tube and oil pump. This happened to mine and caused low hot oil pressure problems.

All this info can be found if you search.
This is 100% correct. I personally know of a good handful of 500+ rwhp LS1/LS6 cars that are still using their bone-stock oil pumps without a problem. As far as I'm concerned, the ported oil pump is an unnecessary gimmick that solves a non-existent problem.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

To add, there is more to the Melling pump than just a material change. The front cover is cast iron, not the entire housing. The pump gear is also larger.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification, LOnSLO.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club NA

So back to the orginal question, there is no difference between 1 sponsor's ported LS6 oil pump and another. Does anyone know what a stock LS6 pump goes for? Did they come on the 01-02 F-Bodies? If not, then what year models would I need to get it from the ZO6s? Would I be better off just buying a stock replacement or a ported one from the sponsors? I was going to get the one from Thunder Racing since Im getting most of the parts for the cam swap there anyway. Does anyone know if the shim the valve spring?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Call Thunder. And yes go ahead and buy it from Thunder.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
So back to the orginal question, there is no difference between 1 sponsor's ported LS6 oil pump and another. Does anyone know what a stock LS6 pump goes for? Did they come on the 01-02 F-Bodies? If not, then what year models would I need to get it from the ZO6s? Would I be better off just buying a stock replacement or a ported one from the sponsors? I was going to get the one from Thunder Racing since Im getting most of the parts for the cam swap there anyway. Does anyone know if the shim the valve spring?
Any of the vendors pumps will do you fine.

The stock LS6 pump is the same as the LS1 oil pump on '01+ LS1s b/c that's when the LS6 came out, 2001. Same pump. Vendors market it as an LS6 pump so people think they're buying a superior pump vs the LS1 version. Just marketing.

LS1/6 pump (in the production runs AFTER the pumps that failed - i.e. the pumps everyone want) part #: GM PART # 12563964 Price $59.35 from GMPartsDirect.com

They can shim it for you if you want increased oil pressure.

A lot of this info can be found by:
A) Searching the forums
B) Calling the vendors/tuners and asking

You've got over 2000+ posts, you should know that

A stock replacement is just as effective as any of the ported ones, IMO. It's a good way for vendors to make a bit more money off a tiny bit of machining to a pump. It CAN hurt if it's not done correctly as I pointed out above.

Last edited by CANNIBAL; 11-03-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

A lot of this info can be found by:
A) Searching the forums
B) Calling the vendors/tuners and asking

You've got over 2000+ posts, you should know that
No ****.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

well damn...i'm glad i havnt bought my pump yet. my car only has 23,000 miles but i'm doing a head cam swap so i'm going to change the pump also. Any reason i shouldnt just buy the pump from GMpartsdirect over a ported one?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't worry, in '07 won't need a ported pump, just a bigger or smaller gilmer pully.

Chris
Old 11-03-2004, 08:05 PM
9 Second Club NA

So the ported LS6 pumps that the sponsors sell is just the 01 and up F-body oil pumps that the call LS6 oil pumps? It didnt come out of an LS6 or made for one?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Don't worry, in '07 won't need a ported pump, just a bigger or smaller gilmer pully.

Chris
What exactly do you mean by that? '07 F-body?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well by the time GM Parts Direct rapes you with shipping and handling, youre looking at $72 for the pump. Is that part number you listed the for the F-body LS1 or the ZO6 LS6?