Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Almost no Oil over rockers??? Lifter noise?...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Almost no Oil over rockers??? Lifter noise?...

I am getting really frustrated here. LOTS of lifter noise. No, this can't be normal. It sounds horrible.

I thought I'd found the problem when I pulld the pan and discovered the screen plugged up with what I describe as a thin layer of steel wool.

I removed the wool from the screen and added a couple of rare earth magnets to the bottom of the pan, but after getting everything back together, the problem is still there.

My oil pressure seems fine. I have about 35 - 45 PSI at lower RPMs.

That said, I STILL don't have much oil flow over those rockers. In fact, its BARELY a trickle.

I had been running 2 quarts of ATF in the crank case for the last hundred miles or so prior to removing the pan and discovering the obstructed pickup tube screen. The bottom of the engine looked absolutely brand new. There was no hint of varnish or brown anywhere.

I replaced the pickup tube after cleaning and flushing it and made sure that the O ring was undamaged.

One interesting side note is that even when the retainer is tight the tube can move up and down a bit. I can't imagine this makes any difference. The O-ring should seal fine. Besides, I have good oil pressure... I think.

I am measuring oil pressure on the bottom (At the oil filter). Is this O.K.

Does anyone know how oil gets from the oil pump to the lifters? It there anything I can check. I would think that even if I had bad geometry that the oil pressure alone would get oil up through those push rods and over the rockers. It just sounds like I'm collapsing those lifters.

I don't get any kind of reading from the oil pressure sender on top. It may be bad. It just shows an open all the time.

Does anyone know what resistance the stock sender makes (OHMS)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am also begining to think this may be a geometry issue.

I am using:

LS1 Block
LS1 Heads

LS6 Cam
LS6 Rocker assembly
LS6 Valves
LS6 Pushrods.

Anything wrong with the above combination?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you change timing chain?
Old 02-06-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to give us more information - did the problem start immediately after the LS6 parts install? What else was done - oil pump, etc?

You should also hook the mechanical guage to the sending unit port and get a reading there.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

I no on a good setup the pickup tube doesn't move any when tighten down onto the pump. Maybe you used a different bolt that on accident. It is a special bolt. JMO

I don't even know if the pump has ever been off the car or if the pickup tube has ever been taken off prior to you doing it this last time. But it is hard to help with that littl of info.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smask04C5
did you change timing chain?

Yes, it has a new chain and a new oil pump.

I don't believe its an O-ring problem. I have good pressure at the bottom. I went ahead and pulled the driver's side head to see if I could spot anything. Unfortunately, everything looks good.

I am now suspecting a clogged passage.

Sam.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DaddySS
You need to give us more information - did the problem start immediately after the LS6 parts install? What else was done - oil pump, etc?

You should also hook the mechanical guage to the sending unit port and get a reading there.
The engine was trashed. It had an oil pump failure. I replaced EVERYTHING. The only thing used from the old engine was the block. This includes the pickup tube.

The only parts used from the old engine were the valve covers and the block.

I didn't have it hot tanked. I should have.

Sam.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samgm2
Yes, it has a new chain and a new oil pump.

I don't believe its an O-ring problem. I have good pressure at the bottom. I went ahead and pulled the driver's side head to see if I could spot anything. Unfortunately, everything looks good.

I am now suspecting a clogged passage.

Sam.
bingo!!!!! did you put a double timing chain or any kind of spacers with the new chain?????
Old 02-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zamboxl
bingo!!!!! did you put a double timing chain or any kind of spacers with the new chain?????
I replaced it with a stock chain. I didn't use any spacers.

What do you think or did you think it was?

I cranked the engine over and pulled a couple of lifters. I can see plenty of oil flowing through the lifter oil galley.

This has me stumped.

The geometry of valves is fine. There is also no doubt that there is adequate lifter preload.

Does anyone know how much oil pressure should build when the engine is just cranking?

Sam.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

It won't build hardly any oil pressure while cranking. Are you sure the plate on that holds the cam in that is located behind the cam sproket is tight. If not it will bleed off oil pressure and you will probably see it in the farthest part (Rockers) JMO though
Old 02-07-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samgm2
I replaced it with a stock chain. I didn't use any spacers.

What do you think or did you think it was?

I cranked the engine over and pulled a couple of lifters. I can see plenty of oil flowing through the lifter oil galley.

This has me stumped.

The geometry of valves is fine. There is also no doubt that there is adequate lifter preload.

Does anyone know how much oil pressure should build when the engine is just cranking?

Sam.
ok the block has a few oil passeges going front to back, when i put my duble chain i bloked one of them, so i got no oil pressure up top, now when ever my mechanic would messure the oil pressure he would get presure because he measured at the filter making it look like i had pressure when in fact i did not. Now you said the tube was loose, well if it aint one of those passages there ,and you getting oil pressure at the bottom but not the top then it should be the tube o and there is no such thing as loose internals anywhere the all got to be snuged in. The most likely thing if there is oil pressure at the filter and non up top one of your galey pasages are blocked.

Quick Reply: Help! Almost no Oil over rockers??? Lifter noise?...