Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little German Castrol prob..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little German Castrol prob..

Incase I missed it, are they switching to reg. castrol syn in the German bottles? I went and bought 12 qts today at Autozone- all labeled like typical GC, but 2 that I used weren't green.... WTF? Guess I'll go to M1 0w40 now...
and probably the k&n filters, again, damn ACDelco did NOT want to come off...
Old 04-18-2005, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This was also noted over on BITOG. I think they got rid of the dye, but the oil is thought to be the same.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

link to that site?

It kinda weirded me out, guess a couple other qts might be w/o the green too, guess ill see in a month or so....
Old 04-18-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

it has been concluded that then M05 GC is just as good. it is the newest formulation in europe, actually has been out over there for a few years. so it doesn't have to be green. patman said that in a thread a week ago i think it was.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are now using SLX Longtec from Germany instead of Formula SLX. It's the same viscosity (a thicker 30wt which is almost a 40wt) and passes the same good specs, so it is still an extremely good oil. When my supply of the green stuff is gone, I will not hesitate to run the new gold stuff, I'm confident it's going to work out well.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

strap wrench > ANY oil filter
Old 04-19-2005, 12:39 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ttyson
strap wrench > ANY oil filter
1" socket > strap wrench when you're using a k&n

i just switched to the k&n long filter #2006 and noticed a nice boost in oil pressure
Old 04-19-2005, 02:04 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
1" socket > strap wrench when you're using a k&n

i just switched to the k&n long filter #2006 and noticed a nice boost in oil pressure
Same here, Iam glad that I switched to the longer filter.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I purchased some GC 0-30 a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't sure if it would be too thin to run in my climate. Here is the link from my post 3 weeks ago. I have yet to put it in my car in case it is too thin. It is currently 80* here and is only gonna get much hotter. What should I do? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=226637&page=4
Old 04-19-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a metal band strap wrench, but could not get it to work with the pacesetters.....

I'm going back to the K&N filters on the next change, which should be equaly as much of a bitch, as i forgot to oil the top of the filter... NEVER have i forgotten that before, probably due to me being pissed off about having to get oil dry out...

Thanks for the oil info everyone, I'm guessing its fine to mix both styles?

Also I've thought about moving to the long filter, and actually run one, once, but I figure I'll end up knockin it off in the roads around here, and when I'm off pavement... gravel, etc....
Old 04-19-2005, 06:45 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
I purchased some GC 0-30 a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't sure if it would be too thin to run in my climate. Here is the link from my post 3 weeks ago. I have yet to put it in my car in case it is too thin. It is currently 80* here and is only gonna get much hotter. What should I do? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=226637&page=4
You can use it anywhere on Earth.The subject has been beat to death on this board.Our cars came from the factory with 5W30.The first number refers to the thickness of the oil when cold,once it's warm it's 30 weight.

According to Patman GC is closer to a 40 weight anyway.You're fine.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roofer Dave
You can use it anywhere on Earth.The subject has been beat to death on this board.Our cars came from the factory with 5W30.The first number refers to the thickness of the oil when cold,once it's warm it's 30 weight.

Thank you for the reply. I have been posting for 3 weeks now on whether or not I should put it in my car and nobody has replied yet. I just thought it would be too thin for the heat around here. My engine will not be running too hot anyways because I have a 160* stat to keep it a little cooler. I see that Patman keeps talking about how good it is but he lives in Canada. Its cold there unlike it is here. I just thought that grade oil would be too thin. I'll definitely be putting it in as soon as my Blackstone-Labs oil analysis kit comes in. I need to see how my results are with the M1 10-30 compared to Patmans GC analysis. Can't wait. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:31 PM
7 Second Club

Thank you for the reply. I have been posting for 3 weeks now on whether or not I should put it in my car and nobody has replied yet. I just thought it would be too thin for the heat around here. My engine will not be running too hot anyways because I have a 160* stat to keep it a little cooler. I see that Patman keeps talking about how good it is but he lives in Canada. Its cold there unlike it is here. I just thought that grade oil would be too thin. I'll definitely be putting it in as soon as my Blackstone-Labs oil analysis kit comes in. I need to see how my results are with the M1 10-30 compared to Patmans GC analysis. Can't wait. Thanks.
I just thought of something after reading your post.Once your engine is to full operating temperature I don't think operating temp is going to vary much in extreme cold or heat.As long as the thermostat is doing it's job,engine temp should stay relatively constant.

Maybe someone that knows can let us fill us in.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

So you could run 0 in the summer but when winter rolls around, hits the teens here in TN, should I go to 5 or 10??
Old 04-19-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

0 is better for colder climates,
the 0w30 is good all year from everything ive read
Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Is there still a difference between the Syntec 0w30 and 10w30 as far as formula goes?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

yes, the only castrol that is GC is the 0w30, different oil from the other ones.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just thought of something after reading your post.Once your engine is to full operating temperature I don't think operating temp is going to vary much in extreme cold or heat.As long as the thermostat is doing it's job,engine temp should stay relatively constant.

Maybe someone that knows can let us fill us in.
Thanks for bringing that up. I didn't think of that. T-stat is only several months old so it is working great. BTW would you recommend an engine flush. I bought the car last June with 24k and now it has 46k (I know, lot of miles) but with the car having that few of miles on it before I bought it, I don't think it has ever been flushed. What kind of benefits would I get for flushing it?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not as cold here as you think, it hit 87 degrees here yesterday! We often get into the 90-95F range in the summertime. GC works well in extreme heat and extreme cold, that's the beauty of this oil. It's base oil is so incredibly good that it can flow well enough in cold to be a 0w, but is also on the thicker side of the 30wt scale, it's almost 40wt. And since it's base oil is so good, it uses very little or no viscosity index improvers, so it will not thin out like a lot of other oils will. It truly is the best oil you can buy for your LS1.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
So you could run 0 in the summer but when winter rolls around, hits the teens here in TN, should I go to 5 or 10??
Stick with the 0w30 Castrol all year round.